2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Steinberger Zt-3, Possibly my next guitar
Kristofer Dahl
May 3 2010, 01:32 PM
GMC Founder
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a humbucker guitar with the possibilities of "splitting" into single coils. I think I may have found what could be my next guitar - would be interesting to hear what you guys think:

http://www.steinberger.com/ZT3.html

Pros:

* graphite fretboard and stainless steel frets - this is what makes my Parker so incredibly easy to play

* transtrem - be able to change tunings instantenoulsy or use the whammy bar to transpose your chords. No other tremolo does this. It means you can instantly downtune to D, play all your Am pentatonic licks at the 7th position while bending (etc) has become incredibly easy. It also means that if you are playing in a power trio you could do heavy riffing in D and then instantaneously go back to standard tuning to play melodies/solos.

* double ball strings for extremely stable tuning and ease of changing strings

* headless design - I had a steinberger Spirit GT-pro and this does wonder to the sound and balance of the guitar.

* Price - 1500usd doesn't seem that much considering it's a top of the line guitar.

Cons:

* I would have liked a middle pick up. But who knows maybe it's not necessary with this configuration, I haven't tried it.

* I would have liked neck through instead of bolt on for good access to the high frets, but I understand there are some sound advantages with bolt on (not sure exactly why though).

* Hard to find in Sweden...probably!

For those of you who don't know, Steinberger was about to conquer the world (they had guitarists like Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van halen and Allan Holdsworth)

I'd love to get an opinion from all GMC gear heads on this guitar!

Demo of transtrem.
Playing example

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 3 2010, 01:57 PM
GMC:er
Well, well well.....I have never played one but had a strange fascination with those steinberger guitars since I saw THIS:

Unfortunately I find the presentation videos found on youTube quite spooky! laugh.gif

I say GO FOR IT and we would expect an extensive review!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
May 3 2010, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I had no idea the trans-trem existed. Nice idea. Too bad there are no local Steinberger dealers around me.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 3 2010, 02:04 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Berglmir @ May 3 2010, 02:57 PM) *
Unfortunately I find the presentation videos found on youTube quite spooky! laugh.gif

Hehe that older guy is the founder of the company. But yes I agree - for some reason it seems they have been given a minimalistic marketing budget from Gibson!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 3 2010, 02:21 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 3 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Hehe that older guy is the founder of the company. But yes I agree - for some reason it seems they have been given a minimalistic marketing budget from Gibson!

Yes I know! - but until now I don´t really know which of them I find more eerie.... wink.gif

This post has been edited by Berglmir: May 3 2010, 02:21 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 3 2010, 02:52 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The guy that does all the repairs on my guitars has one, I got to play it once and it sounds amazing I think! It has a very clear and bright tonality (I was playing through a random Peavey combo amp in the store), It did feel a bit weird to me cause it weighed about as much as a paperclip but It wasn't too bad. I would like to have one, that much I know. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 3 2010, 03:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I've owned a bunch of steinbergers. I got hooked on graphite necks and that is why my "ibanez" guitars all have graphite necks now..... laugh.gif Not sure if the Transtrem3 is very stable or accurate. I think it is much better than the Transtrem 2 but you would have to do some research for that. Overall I think you would love the Steinberger. Have you thought about buying an older steinberger instead though? I'll bet you would love the graphite neck. smile.gif

For all things steinberger......

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/steinberger_world/

Andy Yakubik runs this forum and is a great resource for all things steinberger.

+Quote Post
ItsMe
May 3 2010, 03:57 PM

I've seen here once on stage. She doesn't really play much guitar but was cool with her Steinberger

Nice fashion accessory smile.gif

Just a joke I love Steinbergers and still hate myself because I didn't buy a Steinberger once that was offered to me for really nothing. Wasn't playing much at that time and had no money. still don't play much but would like to have it now sad.gif

This post has been edited by ItsMe: May 3 2010, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 5 2010, 11:00 AM
Jazz Instructor
I like this guitar, and I would buy it mostly because of that "acoustical" boost!
It's really amazing when that guy turn on that "thing", how warm the sound became.

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 5 2010, 11:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
What I can recall from the 80'ths, they were good instruments, but I just couldn't get it to fit my body, and I also remember that the balance was a litlle weird when You wear it. But I guess that is just a personal matter and what You are used to.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
NoSkill
May 5 2010, 02:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've glanced at that ZT3 several times, but have never seen, nor heard one. It would be an interesting guitar, for sure.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 5 2010, 04:16 PM
Instructor
im a really vintage guitar fan, i do not dislike the stein but you know it is not my thing, BUT, my dad is a modern guitar lover, and lately he is speaking a LOT about the transtrem, the graphite neck and all the cool things about steins, having that in mind (my dad got a lot of GREAT guitars), i think it should be an amazing guitar.

Also kris, if you buy this baby it will be a motivation to start making more music, a new guitar is always a great motivation!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 5 2010, 04:27 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ May 5 2010, 12:00 PM) *
I like this guitar, and I would buy it mostly because of that "acoustical" boost!
It's really amazing when that guy turn on that "thing", how warm the sound became.

It's the piezo pickup you are hearing - this feature can be found on many different guitar brands I think. Given your style of playing I think you should run to the nearest guitar store and buy a guitar equiped with piezo right away! =) It would probably be very beneficial to your jazzy sound.

QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 3 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've owned a bunch of steinbergers. I got hooked on graphite necks and that is why my "ibanez" guitars all have graphite necks now..... laugh.gif Not sure if the Transtrem3 is very stable or accurate. I think it is much better than the Transtrem 2 but you would have to do some research for that. Overall I think you would love the Steinberger. Have you thought about buying an older steinberger instead though? I'll bet you would love the graphite neck. smile.gif

Yes I would very much like to have one of the old transtrem. The new series does not have the same specifications.

By the way - really cool to hear you have graphite necks on your ibanez guitars. I didn't know there were such ibanez, I'd love to try one.

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 5 2010, 05:16 PM) *
im a really vintage guitar fan, i do not dislike the stein but you know it is not my thing, BUT, my dad is a modern guitar lover, and lately he is speaking a LOT about the transtrem, the graphite neck and all the cool things about steins, having that in mind (my dad got a lot of GREAT guitars), i think it should be an amazing guitar.

Hehe yes this guitar is certainly not a classic vintage style guitar - al though it probably will be. The old trantrems could survive almost anything (jumping on it, throwing it around etc) so they will live to meet our grandkids! =)

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 5 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Also kris, if you buy this baby it will be a motivation to start making more music, a new guitar is always a great motivation!

You are right - al though it's an expensive method! Fortunately (or should I say UNfortunately) I have a lot of inspiration, it's just that the average of 45 minutes of music making I get per day makes progress very slow, but I am currently working on a new guitar tune!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 5 2010, 05:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Actually Kris there are no graphite necked Ibanez guitars. I bought the necks as replacement necks. They sound nice and they play great.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2010, 05:53 PM
Instructor
Seems like a modern guitar with great features to me. I haven't tested it, but based on specs I can tell it has ultra fast response and piano-like characteristics in sound. Very precise instrument indeed. I would test the trem system tho, not sure how accurately it behaves.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 5 2010, 05:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 5 2010, 11:53 AM) *
Seems like a modern guitar with great features to me. I haven't tested it, but based on specs I can tell it has ultra fast response and piano-like characteristics in sound. Very precise instrument indeed. I would test the trem system tho, not sure how accurately it behaves.

i heard the trem is AMAZING, it actually detune the whole thing smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 30 2010, 11:24 AM
GMC Founder
I just wanted to update this thread with two cool new videos showcasing the guitar!

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jun 30 2010, 01:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
He shreds the guitar for sure. Interesting features on it for sure.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jun 30 2010, 02:39 PM
Instructor
I don't like Steinberger guitar, but this ZT3 looks cool. the last demo vid is very good, and show a good-looking guitar (that's so important for me, side by side with quality)

the only thing I really hate (yes, it's a hard word but it's true LOL) is the neck... or should I say the Neckless?

but, that's my opinion. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 30 2010, 04:36 PM
Instructor
wow, it looks like it plays like a DREAM

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:11 PM