Another Amp Topic, plz help
-Zion-
Dec 9 2009, 02:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi everyone..

So I have been considering getting a new amp for a while. I have been saving up some money, and yesterday I found out that I will be getting a extraordinary bonus from work, which is awesome.. smile.gif

Anyways, I am looking to buy an amp.. I am thinking about getting a stack.. A head and a cabinet.. I want really clean sound and a cool rock & roll tone as well.. some blues as well.. I am going to use the amp for practice with the band, and occasional smaller gigs should they come..

Now, I know that I have to go out and test the amps before I buy, but right now I dont have a single clue on where to begin, and this is where you come in..

Lets say I have in the area of 2000 USD to get myself a new amp.. Do you have any suggestions on an amp within that price range.. Its okay to deviate a little from the price, as I expect this journey may take a while, and I will be able to save more money..

I have been looking at the Marshall DSL100 , a peavey valveking, a koch and what not.. also a landry amp, but i dont think he ships to europe, and i have no way of testing it..

Any ideas?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 9 2009, 02:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 9 2009, 03:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think the H&K Statesman 50W with EL34 is for you. Add a matching 4x12 and you have a beautiful half stack. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 9 2009, 03:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
If you want a Marshall, get a JVM.

I have a JVM and they are the first Marshalls with actually clean clean tones! The clean channel on the JVM series is based of a Fender wiring so you have a great clean channel. The amp is very versatile and it can do very good crunch, blues and overdrive sounds!
The built in reverb is so good that you won't need a pedal for that.
The multiple channel within channels system offers a lot of tones, I play thrashmetal, deathmetal and Metalcore with mine but I also did a small blues improvistation gig with it!!!

I have the biggest version with 100 watts in 12 channels (4 channels with 3 modes) and a 4x12 speaker cabinet - That however is a total overkill !!! I never turned my stack up more than 1/3 and it shakes the walls.

There is a 50 watt JVM head which is almost as loud and it will definitely do for any gigs or rehearsals. There is also no real need for a 4x12 if you don't want it for the looks and extra punch. A good 2x12 cab will do (my rythm guitarist plays one and there isn't much of a diffrence in tone but it's easier to carry arround)

http://www.thomann.de/de/marshall_jvm205h.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/framus_fr212_cb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/marshall_mr1960av_gitarrenbox.htm

Here you have the ''little JVM'' with 50 watts and ''only 6 channels'' and a some cabinets. The framus is a real bang for the buck but if you want the halfstack look then go for the 1960 Vintage box by Marshall (it's a standard on every stage arround the world)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Dec 9 2009, 03:11 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 9 2009, 04:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 9 2009, 03:10 PM) *
The clean channel on the JVM series is based of a Fender wiring so you have a great clean channel.

Actually the first Marshalls was also copies of Fenders since they copied the Deluxe circuit with some mods.... biggrin.gif
I have no problem to get a clean tone in my 70's 2203 either but of course it depends on how loud You wanna play..... (actually I'm considering a Power soak or something similar cause otherwise no one wanna play with me..... )

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 9 2009, 04:34 PM
Instructor
JVM's are GREAT AMPS, i love and will always love marshall, BUT, i'm in love now with vox and orange amps, i would get (if i had the money to spend it amps now):

http://www.voxamps.com/us/classicplus/
the 100w head got a killer sound, not a versatile as the marshall, but those two channels sounds like a dream!

http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=55
and the orange smile.gif

maybe you should go with a marshall tho, this amps got very distinctive tones and only works for those tones, anyway good luck with the new amp!, for $2000 you should get your dream amp!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 9 2009, 04:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
The final decision is up to you because everybody hears things diffrently. The Vox, the Marshall and the Orange will will perfectly work for the tones you want but in the end you might like a Fender better. I wouldn't buy anything without atleast trying a couple of amps.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 9 2009, 06:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you all for your suggestions..

I am planning to get out and try the amps.. I just need to find a store that actually have them (or most of them). I would hate to run around to ten different stores.

But keep them coming.. Its great to hear your oppinions..

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 9 2009, 10:23 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
If you have a store nearby that sells Reinhardt amps... Try one! smile.gif
You'll be surprised how good they are! If not, order one laugh.gif

Many good suggestions so far though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 9 2009, 11:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 9 2009, 10:23 PM) *
If you have a store nearby that sells Reinhardt amps... Try one! smile.gif

Im still waiting for You to come and demonstrate it neighbour..... biggrin.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 10 2009, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 9 2009, 11:06 PM) *
Im still waiting for You to come and demonstrate it neighbour..... biggrin.gif

//Staffay

Hehe, are you inviting me to Sweden for a Amp Demonstration? biggrin.gif
Any time! biggrin.gif

I sold my Macbook Pro a week ago (yes, my new one...), but I got one of the new Imacs on order smile.gif
When that arrives I'll post some more clips of it, I promise!
Clean, Crunch, Heavy, and Heavyheavy biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 10 2009, 01:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 10 2009, 12:37 AM) *
Hehe, are you inviting me to Sweden for a Amp Demonstration? biggrin.gif
Any time! biggrin.gif

Nah, that wont be necessary... tongue.gif But in case You are passing Malmoe/Copenhagen, give me a PM and I will buy You a dinner !!! biggrin.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 10 2009, 09:42 AM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 10 2009, 01:20 AM) *
Nah, that wont be necessary... tongue.gif But in case You are passing Malmoe/Copenhagen, give me a PM and I will buy You a dinner !!! biggrin.gif

//Staffay

Nice, I will biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 10 2009, 09:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 10 2009, 01:20 AM) *

//Staffay

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 10 2009, 09:42 AM) *
Nice, I will biggrin.gif

Cool.. we can all hang out and jam a little.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 10 2009, 10:41 AM
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 10 2009, 09:43 AM) *
Cool.. we can all hang out and jam a little.. biggrin.gif

Nice biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 10 2009, 02:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Just fell over an Egnater Tourmaster 4100 amp..

Sounds pretty awesome actually.. Extremely versitile with 4 channels each with separate power output 100w - 50w - 25w - 10w..

http://www.thomann.de/dk/egnater_tourmaster_4100_bundle3.htm

thoughts?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 10 2009, 04:44 PM
Instructor
The DSL100 you want to buy would be my advise for the thing you want. As always I want to say that you simply have to try as much amps as you can in stores before you decide, but I would vote for DSL since it is a very good workhorse head. JVM heads that I tried are good, but the sound was a bit grainy on them for my taste. Not that is bad, I just don't like it, you may prefer it tho.
The cab is a different story all together. It will greatly affect the sound, so you should really try to choose carefully here. Don't stick with Marshall cabs, try several of them. If you choose the head, try to buy the head, and go into stores with it trying different cabs. You will be surprised how much a good cab can raise the sound quality.
The head is relatively simple to transport, but the cab again is a different story. 412 cab will sound great, but often it is hard to transport and heavy. You cannot lift it by yourself, and be aware that sometimes you will just have to do it. 212 is a good portable solution, but all 212 cabs have pronounced mids instead of bass. As before, trying out several 412s and 212s will give you a pretty good idea what will suit you best. Be aware that you have to play loud in order to hear what the cab and head sound like, so try to amplify yourself as much as you can when trying. Some stores have isolated rooms, so go there first.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 10 2009, 05:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
I find the dsl and tsl Marshalls terribly fizzly and grainy!!! The cleans are way worse and the sound is just thinner, maybe you didn't set up the JVM with it's hundreds of knobs right or had a bad cabinet. I have talked to several guitarists and salesmen and they all prefer the JVM over the fizzy Dsl/Tsl series!!!

The JVM is much smoother, especially on the channels that are wired to sound like a JTM or JCM800 (ofcourse not like the handwired originals)

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2009, 02:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 10 2009, 05:44 PM) *
I find the dsl and tsl Marshalls terribly fizzly and grainy!!! The cleans are way worse and the sound is just thinner, maybe you didn't set up the JVM with it's hundreds of knobs right or had a bad cabinet. I have talked to several guitarists and salesmen and they all prefer the JVM over the fizzy Dsl/Tsl series!!!

The JVM is much smoother, especially on the channels that are wired to sound like a JTM or JCM800 (ofcourse not like the handwired originals)

The experiences may vary as I said, and this is why I recommended tryouts in the first place. I'm not bashing any Marshall here, just gave my opinion when I A/B tested both heads in the store on the same 412 Marshall 1960 cab. I also note that DSL and TSL are different from one another, DSL being a better amp both in terms of sound and reliability. It's not an old plexi, but it does the job well for most situations.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:24 PM