2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Practice Routines?
fire
Aug 1 2007, 02:02 PM
GMC:er
I have in general no "routine" it's still like a little chield, it sit in front of my computer and suddenly i take my guitar and start playing... usually I start with some string skipping ( hotel california 's quite nice here ) or the famous "spider" (: after that i go on with solos or anything i like... but while chatting I'm often just jaming a little with my guitar while tipping like now (: that can take hours hehe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 2 2007, 12:41 AM
Well Ive seen some good practice routines and some very bad ones. Sure Id love to just sit at my computer and play and jam but sadly that wont get you to where you want to be . Do you think when steve vai was a noob he just sat around his house and eventually came up with something amazing that one day magically turned into tender surrender ? No ! He worked hard on theory and scales, different chord progressions arpeggios and what not non-stop. And look at him now wink.gif.

Next time your just " Sitting around " waiting for some magic to happen, pick up your guitar and " Really " practice. Dont waste time that could be useful to your journey as a musican.

- John

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 2 2007, 12:47 AM
Instructor
Well i guess i am than always using my time the right way! Be cause - to be honest - i don't like just sit and strum random chords - it drives me crazy! It just somehow turns out that each time i pick up guitar, i come up with a new exercise or a new riff for my songs or just practice one of my exercises from my own licks library!

And make sure to spend a couple of hours practicing exercises! It's not that boring - at least not for me! I love playing exercises because i always try to imagine where my practicing will lead me to! And it helps! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 2 2007, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 1 2007, 03:47 PM) *
Well i guess i am than always using my time the right way! Be cause - to be honest - i don't like just sit and strum random chords - it drives me crazy! It just somehow turns out that each time i pick up guitar, i come up with a new exercise or a new riff for my songs or just practice one of my exercises from my own licks library!

And make sure to spend a couple of hours practicing exercises! It's not that boring - at least not for me! I love playing exercises because i always try to imagine where my practicing will lead me to! And it helps! smile.gif

Exactly.smile.gif Ladies and Gentlemen , that is why he plays that way he does. Do you think Pavel woudl be a the skill level hes at if he just goofed off ? The jury rests its case smile.gif

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Sergeant_Ant
Aug 2 2007, 02:09 AM
wake up
play guitar
eat breakfast
play guitar
eat lunch
play guitar
watch tv
play guitar
eat dinner
play guitar
sleep
repeat! wink.gif

thats mine till school starts again biggrin.gif

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
Salivtomte
Aug 3 2007, 12:32 AM
OK, My routine changes with time, 3 moths ago i would have a routine that would be something like this:

20 minutes of warming up, where i would play chromatic boxes up and down with stringskipping and a metronome, and i would switch between playing 8notes and 8note tripplets and try and increase my bpm for every day.

Then i would take a 2 chords i at the moment found har to bar, and switch between them with a metronome, up and down the neck(chord shapes, not chords).

then i would make up 3 drills that was hard to play, try and play each of them with a metronome intensivly for 3 minutes, than go with the next drill for another 3 minutes and so on for 20-30 minutes.

When i was done with this i would write a short log on how things had worked out for me that way, if i noticed progress or and what bpm i was playing the exercises at.

I would then work with 3 song for 2 hours, just random song that i liked, try and transcribe by ear, and learn and play them at a slower speed if necessary, work with em for days until i felt i could do em with my eyes closed, and i mastered all the guitarparts i liked, for instance the songs i am playing now is "little wing with jimi hendrix, Snow (hey oh) with RHCP and Can't stop with RHCP" ( little wing is great for making basic chord pogressions more interesting, Snow is good for speedpicking, and Can't stop is good for stringblocking, stringskipping and solid chordpicking.

For every new song you learn u have to master new teqniques, and no feeling beats the feeling of beeing able to play along with your favourite songs biggrin.gif

I also like picking out hard pieces of songs i like (transcribing by ear) and work on them isolated with a metronome.

One more thing i like to do is to make up strength exercises, again; here i use the 3minute 3drills concept and work on it until i cant feel my fingers.

when im through with this I either try and make up my own stuff, or doing a bit of jaming

Currently i am pretty focused on working out the pentatonic boxes, and getting used to walk diagonal and horisentally betwwen them, and this goes hand in hand with speedpicking.

It's a cool feeling working on speedpicking, when you are picking on and on in a handmotion that your body is not used to, and you can really feel the little part the arm that you are building musclepower in, and in the begining (ive only been speedpicking for 4 days) you notice improvement every single day smile.gif thats pure satisfaction imo smile.gif

Hope this helps anyone out:) Bad thing with getting to focused on one practice moment in my oppinion, is that you loose some of the stuff you used to know, but whats great with muscle memory is, once you learned something, you can allways work your way back to the level you where once at. So nothing you ever learn is ever forgotten by your muscles, just needs to be polished a little

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:54 PM