How Have You Improved In The Last Week?
JVM
Jul 7 2007, 02:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay, in an effort to keep track of how you're doing, and to remind us that even when we feel we're not improving we really are in just in small ways, I say we post here weekly or so saying things we've noticed that we've improved upon. I noticed that my legato has definitely picked up in the last week, and my picking is more accurate too! It's been a big week for my guitar playing tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
FretDancer69
Jul 7 2007, 02:57 AM
GMC:er
Well, ive noticed that i can play 1, 2 and 3 String Skips using Alternate picking at very fast Tempo, but still a little messy when trying to mute other strings, but im working on that.

Also, ive been noticing that stretching my hand and using my pinky is easier now, i have build alot of pinky strength too!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 7 2007, 03:12 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 6 2007, 09:57 PM) *
Well, ive noticed that i can play 1, 2 and 3 String Skips using Alternate picking at very fast Tempo, but still a little messy when trying to mute other strings, but im working on that.

Also, ive been noticing that stretching my hand and using my pinky is easier now, i have build alot of pinky strength too!

I had a breakthrough in holding the pick in a really relaxed way at the weekend ... I feel sure my speed will rocket now smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 7 2007, 03:13 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 6 2007, 08:12 PM) *
I had a breakthrough in holding the pick in a really relaxed way at the weekend ... I feel sure my speed will rocket now smile.gif

Care to share? I keep trying to adjust my pick to make it more comfortable tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 7 2007, 03:24 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 6 2007, 10:13 PM) *
Care to share? I keep trying to adjust my pick to make it more comfortable tongue.gif

Well, I worked on Kris AP technique lesson, have been seriously working on AP for 4 or 5 months, and kept hearing the advice to really relax and I thought I was. Then suddenly, I was just playing my Jem and I realized that my picking hand had TOTALLY relaxed and I was holding the pick differently - so I carried on doing it to cement it. Its hard to explain ... I made a fist with my picking hand, and tried extending my fingers in the past but it didn't work because I wasnt truly relaxed. Now I am relaxing I find it more comfortable to extend my fingers slightly, sort of in a hybrid picking position, but that is really a product of the fact that I got this relaxation down.

I guess I had been concentrating on keeping the wrist relaxed, but there was still tension in my hand. At the same time I am hitting the strings very lightly and it just feels correct. I have changed my picking technique hugely since I joined GMC and I think I am finally seeing the benefit, or getting to the end of the road.

Its funny, I hold th pick really lightly but don't feel in danger of dropping it because I am brushing the strings lightly too - sorry I can't explain it any better than that!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 7 2007, 03:25 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I figured out Iced Earth "Dante's Inferno" as kinda of a whole day kinda thing, very fun, and ive spent quite some time practicing Steve Vai's The Animal, and i got it soundin pretty good smile.gif

+Quote Post
kethcup
Jul 7 2007, 05:29 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 6 2007, 08:24 PM) *
Well, I worked on Kris AP technique lesson, have been seriously working on AP for 4 or 5 months, and kept hearing the advice to really relax and I thought I was. Then suddenly, I was just playing my Jem and I realized that my picking hand had TOTALLY relaxed and I was holding the pick differently - so I carried on doing it to cement it. Its hard to explain ... I made a fist with my picking hand, and tried extending my fingers in the past but it didn't work because I wasnt truly relaxed. Now I am relaxing I find it more comfortable to extend my fingers slightly, sort of in a hybrid picking position, but that is really a product of the fact that I got this relaxation down.

I guess I had been concentrating on keeping the wrist relaxed, but there was still tension in my hand. At the same time I am hitting the strings very lightly and it just feels correct. I have changed my picking technique hugely since I joined GMC and I think I am finally seeing the benefit, or getting to the end of the road.

Its funny, I hold th pick really lightly but don't feel in danger of dropping it because I am brushing the strings lightly too - sorry I can't explain it any better than that!

Hey Andrew -

That's actually a great explanation! I too have been struggling with the proper way to hold a pick. I still am in fact but I think it's coming around day by day. When I speed up I tend to find myself gripping the pick tighter and also tightening my arm for more control. And in all reality it slows me down and I wear out much faster!

Your experience really helps and also inspires a new confidence that it's ok to try and lighten up.

Thanks for sharing that! smile.gif

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 7 2007, 07:07 AM
I have noticed something very important about my playing the past week that as greatly increased. Cleanlyness, in my speed picking and everything. My Muting is all better, and when i do speed runs now. Its acutally really good. My thumb is now naturally staying behind the neck. I can improvise a lot better now. My theoritical knowledge has greatly increased, and i understand mostly everything. Just cant apply it yet. My AP has greatly increased after figureing out, and utilizing the lesson pavel put out!!

I also think my phrasing has gotten better also. This has been a gaintly amazingly great week for me. I am now actually playing with a metrenome, and it doesnt feel wrong to me. I think i actualy might become a professional guitarist someimte in my life. Im glad I had this nice breakthrough this week. I was getting worried about my playing. I also have figured out easier fingerings for me when speed picking!!

Oh and also, my accuracy has increase the past week!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 7 2007, 07:25 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 7 2007, 12:07 AM) *
I have noticed something very important about my playing the past week that as greatly increased. Cleanlyness, in my speed picking and everything. My Muting is all better, and when i do speed runs now. Its acutally really good. My thumb is now naturally staying behind the neck. I can improvise a lot better now. My theoritical knowledge has greatly increased, and i understand mostly everything. Just cant apply it yet. My AP has greatly increased after figureing out, and utilizing the lesson pavel put out!!

I also think my phrasing has gotten better also. This has been a gaintly amazingly great week for me. I am now actually playing with a metrenome, and it doesnt feel wrong to me. I think i actualy might become a professional guitarist someimte in my life. Im glad I had this nice breakthrough this week. I was getting worried about my playing. I also have figured out easier fingerings for me when speed picking!!

Man what a list! That's awesome bro!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
Jul 7 2007, 07:35 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 7 2007, 02:07 AM) *

That must be a fantastic feeling. A real feeling of accomplishment. Congrats. I too have weeks like that. The last one was some time ago though. I felt like I made terrific progress with AP. AP is all I've been practicing for the past three months, and it has come a long way, or so I thought. Today I told a friend of mine that I have been playing without an amp for three months. He looked at me like I had two heads. When I asked him to explain, he said that I would not be able to develop my tone without amplification. He said also that its easy to do things wrong and not realize it if your not plugged in. I don't have an amp yet. I have been experimenting and reading about them. I think I really settled on the new Marshall JVM. I went to a music store by me to check it out, and was really blown away by its sound. In the meantime, I borrowed my friends amp, and when I got it home today, and plugged in, my head almost exploded. I sounded like shit. Its my picking hand. I'm just not attacking the strings right. I also realized that I have been really sloppy with my left hand. Not fretting right behind the fret. The amp really lets you know that. I have been working on it all night, and I think I figured a few things out. Yes, today has been a real eye opener. I hope I haven't bummed myself out too much, but I think I actually took a few steps back from where I thought I was.

I think I'll go to bed now.....

Boris

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 7 2007, 08:06 AM
its good to see that many of us have been improving greatly in this week. Lets keep like that guys! Practice hard! wink.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 7 2007, 08:15 AM
Lets go fishing!
When I picked up Gabis Neoclassical sweeping lesson yesterday and didnt have to think about what i was doing - i realised id taken a huge step forward! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 7 2007, 08:50 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 7 2007, 02:15 AM) *
When I picked up Gabis Neoclassical sweeping lesson yesterday and didnt have to think about what i was doing - i realised id taken a huge step forward! biggrin.gif

Man, i wish my sweeps were that good, but then again. I dont practice them anymore. Because i want to get my AP really good, and my palm down right AWESOME. Before i set my sails any further with Sweep Picking. I know the basics, and how to do this and that. And ican play them nicely i guess now, but they get really sloppy when i speed it up because my muting sucks when it comes to sweeps. But i know the problem. Its my picking hand postion. I dont have it in the correct place for me!! Which is really ahrd to switch to from AP, but ill get it. Once i start practicing sweeps again!!

And thats really great that you dont have to think about it!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 7 2007, 08:55 AM
Lets go fishing!
Well Im no sweep master pavel yet! but my technique is comeing on nicely. I just set half an hour a side daily for *each* sweep arpeggio shape and just go for it with the metronome. Important to note i started of REALLY slowly, and stayed slow for months!

Its really great your putting so much effort into your alternate picking - its sure to pay off! As for sweeping, I know you can do it! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 7 2007, 08:57 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 7 2007, 02:55 AM) *
Well Im no sweep master pavel yet! but my technique is comeing on nicely. I just set half an hour a side daily for *each* sweep arpeggio shape and just go for it with the metronome. Important to note i started of REALLY slowly, and stayed slow for months!

Its really great your putting so much effort into your alternate picking - its sure to pay off! As for sweeping, I know you can do it! biggrin.gif

Im gonna try biggrin.gif, and well if i fail. Guess what!! Im gonna try again. biggrin.gif Etc. Etc. Etc.!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 7 2007, 09:00 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 7 2007, 01:57 AM) *
Im gonna try biggrin.gif, and well if i fail. Guess what!! Im gonna try again. biggrin.gif Etc. Etc. Etc.!!!

thats the spirit man! wink.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 7 2007, 09:02 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 7 2007, 08:57 AM) *

I belive the key to success is to know your going to be a great player, leave no doubt in your mind! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 7 2007, 09:03 AM
Well i got down Marcus's neoclasical beginer and intermidiate solo's but still blown away by the advanced.I feel like i will always be held back until i learn sweep correctly.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 7 2007, 09:09 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 7 2007, 03:03 AM) *
Well i got down Marcus's neoclasical beginer and intermidiate solo's but still blown away by the advanced.I feel like i will always be held back until i learn sweep correctly.

Practice makes perfect dude. Start of slowly, and your sure to get it!! Check out Pavels lessons on the sweeps. If you already have. Its always good to review tongue.gif!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 7 2007, 09:09 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 7 2007, 02:02 AM) *
I belive the key to success is to know your going to be a great player, leave no doubt in your mind! biggrin.gif

yeah, thats what i tell myself, if you want to be a great guitarist, and you'll work hard for it, theres no way you'll end up in another place!

Yea, i managed to make the Beginner and part of the Intermediate, but man, the Adavanced is very hard, hence the name laugh.gif . Ill sure give it a shot in the future tho! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:07 PM