2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Yup Kemper Floor Unit Is Real
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2019, 01:46 AM
GMC:er
Kemper is now jumping on the bandwagon and making a self contained floor unit. It's true that it doesn't have scribble strips, or a touch display, or even a color display, but i's still a Kemper and its now about the size of the previous floor controller.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B0MXIr-Hs0c/?u...g_web_copy_link
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 22 2019, 08:18 AM
GMC Founder
Very cool! I hope/assume it will be 100% compatible with the rack version.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 22 2019, 01:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 22 2019, 04:18 AM) *
Very cool! I hope/assume it will be 100% compatible with the rack version.

I wonder if this is the case, or if this new device has new features that will make them release a new rack version...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2019, 01:31 AM
According to kemper, it's just the "Stage" version of the Kemper.

From Kemper
"Floorboard featuring a complete PROFILER incl. PROFILING™ with integrated Remote-grade switching system. The perfect solution for rehearsal rooms, small tours and studios. The convenient all-in-one design can be extended with up to four pedals for real-time control, and offers two FX loops. Connects in stereo to PA and features mono or stereo monitoring with guitar cabs (no amp incl.). Lightweight with ultra-rugged build and high durability "

So it's meant to be run directly to a P.A. and used live, but it still has all the Kemper bits in it. Just no power amp.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 22 2019, 08:56 AM) *
I wonder if this is the case, or if this new device has new features that will make them release a new rack version...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 23 2019, 01:35 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2019, 02:37 PM
Instructor
If that's true and they don't release a new rack version, I think that I'll move from Fractal to Kemper. I don't like the fact that Fractal releases new devices all the time and discontinue previous ones... this costs people that live in countries like Argentina a lot of money. Import taxes are extremely high.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2019, 07:24 PM
True! Every time they go to a slightly new product at fractal they make things really hard on folks that pay heavy import taxes as the old devices lose value and the new devices are crazy pricey to import. Some folks say the "new" fractal is not that much different from the old one but some folks say it's sooooo much better. I've not tried it. The Kemper is still the Kemper. It was born with the ability to profile any rig on earth so it doesn' need to release a new model with new algos as it can just add new profiles. They have had 3 variations (original/rack/floor) and they are all the same unit in different housing.

Todd
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 23 2019, 09:37 AM) *
If that's true and they don't release a new rack version, I think that I'll move from Fractal to Kemper. I don't like the fact that Fractal releases new devices all the time and discontinue previous ones... this costs people that live in countries like Argentina a lot of money. Import taxes are extremely high.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 25 2019, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 23 2019, 01:37 PM) *

There is no guarantee. Someday they might release something which can do dual-amps, soundcard funtions, stronger DSP for more fx...

Your concern should still be about your needs. Whatever you buy, it will serve you for the next 5-10 years (on stage too) so even if a new products isn't released the condition of the unit will be the cause of the used device to lose value.

In Turkey for example a first generation fractal unit can still be sold relatively easy when the price is right. It's usually the Boss/digitech stuff after 10 years gets harder to sell even if price is right and condition is good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2019, 04:02 AM
Very True smile.gif There are no Guarantees at all.

All we have to go on is what fractal and kemper have done so far. So far, Fractal has released quite a few "upgraded" version of the same model units and 3 separate units in total V1, V2, V3. Kemper has released the Profiler and simply changed the housing that the kemper goes in and in one version added a power amp. In all these versions, ever since the original product, the profiler itself has not really changed. It's still the kemper profiler and even if you bought an old used one, you could put on the new firmware and be up to date with the latest kempers built. Kemper has been building pretty much the same unit since about 2011 or so. Sure it's possible that they will change tack and break nearly a decade of tradition and do something else. It just doesn't look that way from their history. For folks who want to invest in a platform that stays as one platform, kemper seems a safe bet but only time will tell smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 25 2019, 02:41 PM) *
There is no guarantee. Someday they might release something which can do dual-amps, soundcard funtions, stronger DSP for more fx...

Your concern should still be about your needs. Whatever you buy, it will serve you for the next 5-10 years (on stage too) so even if a new products isn't released the condition of the unit will be the cause of the used device to lose value.

In Turkey for example a first generation fractal unit can still be sold relatively easy when the price is right. It's usually the Boss/digitech stuff after 10 years gets harder to sell even if price is right and condition is good.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 26 2019, 07:15 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Just my 2 cents and maybe something to consider. It has been my experience here in the US that the used Fractal products have held their value very well when you can find them. I don't see many used ones at all hit the market here in Alaska but when they do, they always sell pretty fast and always well over half of the original price although I haven't seen any of the first few versions come up for sale yet. I have seen a couple AX8's sell recently for very close to the original price and sell very quickly. This coming from a guy that watches the used instrument and gear market pretty closely, at least here in Alaska. I am sure you can find more of them at better prices at places like Reverb.com though.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fractal

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jul 26 2019, 07:20 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2019, 02:40 AM
Gabe is in ARGENTINA. Not the U.S. sad.gif This makes things a bit more tricky. If he we in the states, it would be a different matter. The import taxes are insane on new gear over there. So each time fractal changes to a new model, getting the new model is crazy pricey. That's what he likes about the kemper, it has not changed. No need to repay import taxes to upgrade.
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 26 2019, 02:15 PM) *
Just my 2 cents and maybe something to consider. It has been my experience here in the US that the used Fractal products have held their value very well when you can find them. I don't see many used ones at all hit the market here in Alaska but when they do, they always sell pretty fast and always well over half of the original price although I haven't seen any of the first few versions come up for sale yet. I have seen a couple AX8's sell recently for very close to the original price and sell very quickly. This coming from a guy that watches the used instrument and gear market pretty closely, at least here in Alaska. I am sure you can find more of them at better prices at places like Reverb.com though.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fractal

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 27 2019, 05:40 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 26 2019, 05:40 PM) *
Gabe is in ARGENTINA. Not the U.S. sad.gif This makes things a bit more tricky. If he we in the states, it would be a different matter. The import taxes are insane on new gear over there. So each time fractal changes to a new model, getting the new model is crazy pricey. That's what he likes about the kemper, it has not changed. No need to repay import taxes to upgrade.

Yeah, I know where he lives and the situation concerning import taxes. But if he decides to sell what he has to get another Fractal unit, he could probably get just about what he paid for the AX8 to go towards a new Fractal product.
As far as Kemper not changing. They will have to make some kind of upgrade in the near future or they will be left behind. Processing power and quality of FX will have to be addressed at some point. As far as I can tell, the quality of Fractals FX and processing power are greater than Kempers and the gap is only widening.
It might be a good idea for Gabriel to consider buying slightly used gear from the US or another country if he can avoid the extra costs of import taxes in that way. I don't know the legalities of that possible work around.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2019, 08:01 PM
Selling an old unit might cover most of the cost of the new unit, but on top of the price of the unit comes the import taxes. That's what he's sick of dealing with since fractal puts out new products every few years and Kemper is still the same exact thing in a different box. That's what he was saying was more attractive.

As for kemper changing, I don't see it happening. They are a profiler. That's their thing. They were a profiler on day one, and it's the same today. As for getting "left behind", it can profile any rig on earth that ever comes out. so pretty hard to be left behind. It's the flexibility of the platform that has allowed it to remain unchanged for years (internally) and keep selling units. It's been the same since day one and they still move enough units to make money. Maybe they will change something at some point, but years of not changing anything but form factor and adding power amp seems to indicate the platform is stable as is. But time will tell smile.gif

In terms of quality of fx, countless touring pros around the world use the kemper and it seems to sound great. I don't know what your basing your assertion on that the fractal fx are better, but I"ve heard both and they both sound darn good. But to each his own smile.gif Gabe is a touring pro himself so I"m sure he knows what he needs and needs to do. We are just providing some perspectives smile.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 27 2019, 12:40 PM) *
Yeah, I know where he lives and the situation concerning import taxes. But if he decides to sell what he has to get another Fractal unit, he could probably get just about what he paid for the AX8 to go towards a new Fractal product.
As far as Kemper not changing. They will have to make some kind of upgrade in the near future or they will be left behind. Processing power and quality of FX will have to be addressed at some point. As far as I can tell, the quality of Fractals FX and processing power are greater than Kempers and the gap is only widening.
It might be a good idea for Gabriel to consider buying slightly used gear from the US or another country if he can avoid the extra costs of import taxes in that way. I don't know the legalities of that possible work around.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 27 2019, 08:57 PM
As one who also has to deal with insane import taxes, it doesn't matter with re-sell. The prices are simply higher on used just like new so you save whatever you can just like any other place in the world. The level of used products Gab. uses hold value well so that can be considered a plus.

Most Kemper users don't profile but buy profiles so thats a down-side, even if you have the processor you can't demo before buying. So that means extra expense and consumed time to find the right profiles. For FX, I'd like to see a list to compare but likely Fractal has an advantage on options. If one day he starts to carry extra fx pedals for a project to be used with Kemper that would suck.

Note I didn't comment anything on sound, I just see them as very different products

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 27 2019, 08:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 28 2019, 08:05 AM
Agreed smile.gif Very different. He just mentioned not liking how fractal puts out new things ever now and then while kemper profiler is still the same kemper and mentioned getting the kemper floor unit for that very reason all other considerations aside.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I use plugins to record and for everything else it's the 11 rack or the ampero which is small enough to fit in a gig back with a guitar which is very handy. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 27 2019, 03:57 PM) *
As one who also has to deal with insane import taxes, it doesn't matter with re-sell. The prices are simply higher on used just like new so you save whatever you can just like any other place in the world. The level of used products Gab. uses hold value well so that can be considered a plus.

Most Kemper users don't profile but buy profiles so thats a down-side, even if you have the processor you can't demo before buying. So that means extra expense and consumed time to find the right profiles. For FX, I'd like to see a list to compare but likely Fractal has an advantage on options. If one day he starts to carry extra fx pedals for a project to be used with Kemper that would suck.

Note I didn't comment anything on sound, I just see them as very different products

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 28 2019, 08:42 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 28 2019, 06:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2019, 06:44 PM
Instructor
This is very interesting....

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 29 2019, 12:30 AM
I'm not super impressed with the factory presets though. The video I shared links to a gt1000 in the end and (specially x-amps) were very comparable.

So probably not out of the box but to use full potential 3.rd party Kemper presets are needed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 29 2019, 01:33 AM
Yeah. Take any tones you want with you anywhere in a floor unit that pretty much does everything you need. It seems like a great solution for touring musicians. As better profiles are created, just grab them. Also, the EDITOR is coming which is great. Will make editing profiles on a laptop easy to do. Also, like you said, the platform doesn't change. It doesn't have to.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 28 2019, 01:44 PM) *
This is very interesting....

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 29 2019, 02:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 28 2019, 08:30 PM) *
I'm not super impressed with the factory presets though. The video I shared links to a gt1000 in the end and (specially x-amps) were very comparable.

So probably not out of the box but to use full potential 3.rd party Kemper presets are needed.

This is similar to my Fractal AX8. Factory presets doesn't sound good to me. I wonder why they don't work on the best factory tones... unsure.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 29 2019, 05:03 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 29 2019, 01:46 PM) *
This is similar to my Fractal AX8. Factory presets doesn't sound good to me. I wonder why they don't work on the best factory tones... unsure.gif

Helix had the best I tried till now, if playing loud isn't a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:54 AM