Cool Computer Performance Tip
Mertay
May 27 2015, 09:56 PM
GMC:er
Tonight I had a chat with my neighbor who's a retired programmer and told him about my harddisk failure and how I setuped my PC.

He said he setups his computer to reset to the first day he installed his programs EVERY TIME HE OPENS THE PC! this is how it works and why its so cool;

You divide the harddisk to 2 parts, lets say C and D, C is where you install all your programs and D is where you store them...

Right after that he installs windows and all the programs, he installs (I forgot the name now "freeze...something.." but there are many varietions of it anyway but I'll learn the name again if anyone needs it) that final program and takes a snapshot of drive C and commands it to return to that snapshot everytime he opens the computer again.

As to how it works, you open and save anything new to Drive D. And since C has all the programs your work doesn't get lost and the computer never slows in time, you even don't need to install virus programs since if infected it gets cleaned the next time you open the PC anyway smile.gif

Ofcourse if a new program needs to be installed you can command the program to accept it and take a new snapshot and move on from there. I'm seriously considering this right now, anyone has his/her computer to work like this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 27 2015, 10:17 PM
Learning Roadie
nice method, but it take time to do a snapshoot everytime no ?

in other side , partition the disk in two have an impact about performance if two drives have access in same time...

i prefere have 2 different drive or an array with striped volume.... RAID rulez

Or have a near to be uncrashable system ( thanks Silicon Graphics IRIX and hardware)

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fzalfa: May 27 2015, 10:20 PM

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2015, 10:42 PM
Good plan smile.gif You can "partition" your hard drive to keep your operating system/programs/files all separate. It's a good way to go smile.gif however, it does NOT save you in the even of hardware failure. For a laptop that's a "production" laptop, a lot of "Pro" folks will take out the optical drive, install TWO ssd drives and keep operating system on one and programs/files on the other in addition to keeping a very small boot partition on the "File drive" in the even the boot drive crahshes. That way even if you have a primary hardware failure on either drive you are not all the way screwed.

This is not cheap as it requires two ssd drives of decent size. But it's a great way to be pretty sure you can keep going even in the event of a hardware failure. It's very rare for two drives to fail at once, so your splitting them up to reduce the risks. That, coupled with a good backup strategy can save your bacon smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 27 2015, 04:56 PM) *
Tonight I had a chat with my neighbor who's a retired programmer and told him about my harddisk failure and how I setuped my PC.

He said he setups his computer to reset to the first day he installed his programs EVERY TIME HE OPENS THE PC! this is how it works and why its so cool;

You divide the harddisk to 2 parts, lets say C and D, C is where you install all your programs and D is where you store them...

Right after that he installs windows and all the programs, he installs (I forgot the name now "freeze...something.." but there are many varietions of it anyway but I'll learn the name again if anyone needs it) that final program and takes a snapshot of drive C and commands it to return to that snapshot everytime he opens the computer again.

As to how it works, you open and save anything new to Drive D. And since C has all the programs your work doesn't get lost and the computer never slows in time, you even don't need to install virus programs since if infected it gets cleaned the next time you open the PC anyway smile.gif

Ofcourse if a new program needs to be installed you can command the program to accept it and take a new snapshot and move on from there. I'm seriously considering this right now, anyone has his/her computer to work like this?

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 27 2015, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 27 2015, 09:17 PM) *
nice method, but it take time to do a snapshoot everytime no ?

in other side , partition the disk in two have an impact about performance if two drives have access in same time...

i prefere have 2 different drive or an array with striped volume.... RAID rulez

Or have a near to be uncrashable system ( thanks Silicon Graphics IRIX and hardware)

Laurent

Nope, only when you install a new program you need a new snapshot smile.gif so for us music guys, unless you want to install a new plug-in, DAW etc. you don't need a new snapshot. Or you can install a new plug-in but if you don't like it you don't have to delete it, just close the computer when you're done and when opened again it will be like that plug-in never existed. So the registery will always be clean.

I'm not sure about partitioning has a negative effect if one is only for storage, because when you load a program after that its all about ram and only using the storage partition. Also stuff like defragmenting or check-disk will be faster and safer for the harddisk.

With this metod, the system is pretty much uncrashable cause everyday its like using the system the first day you installed everything (unless its already flawed).

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 27 2015, 09:42 PM) *
Good plan smile.gif You can "partition" your hard drive to keep your operating system/programs/files all separate. It's a good way to go smile.gif however, it does NOT save you in the even of hardware failure. For a laptop that's a "production" laptop, a lot of "Pro" folks will take out the optical drive, install TWO ssd drives and keep operating system on one and programs/files on the other in addition to keeping a very small boot partition on the "File drive" in the even the boot drive crahshes. That way even if you have a primary hardware failure on either drive you are not all the way screwed.

This is not cheap as it requires two ssd drives of decent size. But it's a great way to be pretty sure you can keep going even in the event of a hardware failure. It's very rare for two drives to fail at once, so your splitting them up to reduce the risks. That, coupled with a good backup strategy can save your bacon smile.gif

Todd

Ah yeah, against hardware failure I store the important stuff on a different harddisk every month or so. I actually sensed something was going wrong and stored everything so no damage for me this time except money biggrin.gif

I could have bought an SSD but the the computer is a bit old, I didn't trust the existing hardware as 5-6 years ago SSD was problematic.

PS; I figured out why my system constantly froze and finally killed the harddisk, Adobe flash is now using something called "protected mode" and its buggy as hell. Since Chrome automatically updates flash I couldn't figure out fast enough, happened today with mozilla but I figured out and disabled that mode easily. Now everything is cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 29 2015, 04:06 PM
Learning Roadie
for computer scurity i only believe in theses words:

- Unix or Linux
- XFS
- SCSI or SAS
- ECC

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2015, 06:38 AM
As a "Mac Guy" I"m essentially running a unix/linux based system as the MAC OS is based on FREE BSD. smile.gif You can even pop up a command prompt and start typing in linux commands smile.gif

QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 29 2015, 11:06 AM) *
for computer scurity i only believe in theses words:

- Unix or Linux
- XFS
- SCSI or SAS
- ECC

Laurent

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:50 AM