Question About Practising
Leee
Oct 25 2010, 11:16 PM
GMC:er
Hi, folks

Maybe some of you know that problem: You're trying to plan what to practise tomorrow and what you get is a list of nearly 15 exercises, that will be taking like 9 hours to do, but it would really hurt to spare even one of them

In my case these exercises are some scale-runs, greg howe-style legato, 1-2 metal songs, a piece for classical guitar, jazz-improvising, the solos of "Hangar 18" and some other stuff as well

As i am a intermediate player some of this (howe, hangar 18) is really hard , so i have to start practising at half speed, which means that this stuff stays in my daily routine for at least months, causing less flexibility of my repertoire (for time reasons)

So my question is how to handle this smart without working my ass off ( which is always the easiest way to the top, i know biggrin.gif )

Im looking forward your answers

Stay tuned !

PS: Browsing this site makes it much worse, because each time i want to add 23 other lessons to my routine (like some child and cute puppies in a pet store)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 29 2010, 01:27 PM
I would say: Coose only 3-4 topic that you will practice that day and masterize them for a week.
On the next week, choose another 3-4 and parctice them, while repeating the exercises you've been practiced the previous week.
That's a doable method, I'm doing the same thing . . .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 29 2010, 07:31 PM
Find your weak areas and picks a few lessons to practice for them. This is normally avoided and you end up playing things you know and already enjoy, but don't make as much improvements. Break down large lessons/songs into smaller chucks and looping them with different patterns and exercises. Focus on one hand, then the other, then working them both together in sych I find helps alot.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 31 2010, 01:43 PM
Instructor
"a long journey starts just with one step"
take a few exercises, master them, and then start with new ones. be patient, day by day practice is more efficient that too many hours in a day!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2010, 04:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
"In my case these exercises are some scale-runs, greg howe-style legato, 1-2 metal songs, a piece for classical guitar, jazz-improvising, the solos of "Hangar 18" and some other stuff as well"

You need to make a practice plan with modules you'll be practicing. You can't cover all that in one session as non of the sessions will be efficient. If you can devote 2h a day that will be plenty.

Here are some tips how to make your practice plan efficient :

- warm up with warming exercises/hand exercises
- never practice stuff you already know - challenge yourself. If you can play a certain exercise on a certain tempo comfortably don't stick there - move on to the faster tempo/different exercise.
- its good to start things slowly for beginning but if you know your comfort zone for certain exercise there is no need to start every one in each practice session from beginning. Move the starting tempo to 80-90 instead 60-70 if you are well comfortable with the exercise.
- concentrate on your weak spots (avoid comfortable stuff) so if you have great hammer-on/pull-off technique but weak vibrato concentrate on that. Practice vibrato. We all like to practice what we already know as it makes us feel better but it can be a waste of time.
- make daily plans and keep the journal (for scales you did/tempo you mastered etc).

You practice session should look like this (one day) :

- Scales (one or two scales at a time). Always combine technique with theory so practice different exercises that utilize scales. Then you should try applying scales and doing the improvisation practice.
- Next day work on greg howe-style legato. Do different exercises for that.
- next day its time to learn 1-2 metal songs
- next jazz-improvising
- next classical piece
- next work on vibrato and bending
etc etc

Small modules that will be interesting and relatively easy to grasp. You should have a full week then you can start all over again by looking at your progress (in your practice notebook) and concentrating on weak spots once again.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:48 PM