Ibanez Or Gibson
superize
Apr 15 2008, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
So i have deided that i am going to buy a new guitar sometime this year....

I have almost decided that i am going to buy a Gibson or Ibanez since i have never tried to layon any of teese guitars i would like to here from people how have played on them whatthey think and other stuffs that can be usefull when i am at the shop looking for a new guitar

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Batista
Apr 15 2008, 06:18 PM
GMC:er
Gibson no doubt! ^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Seven Deadly Sins, One Deadly Syn

Gear list:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
Schecter Damien-6
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 15 2008, 06:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well, they are both awsome! But really they are worlds apart smile.gif It totally depends on what sort of music you wish to play!

Les Pauls suit rock superbly due to there incredible fat tone, see any of Gabriels lessons and you can see why! smile.gif When it comes to super technical playing, i struggled on this kind of guitar due to the fact upper fret access is difficult.

I went for an Ibanez mainly due to the awsome neck, which really suits the kind of player I am. Both brands/styles are great, but again both very different beasts wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 15 2008, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a prestige Ibanez and the closest thing to a Gibson Les Paul, an Epiphone Les Paul^^
I could not live without either one of them, both are exellent guitars. The Ibanez has incredible playability, a great tremolo and a very thin neck. A friend of mine would call it a sports-guitar, a solo-lead-shred monster.
The Les Paul is very heavy and it takes more effort to play lead on (like mattacuk said) but it beats any other guitar with it's sound. With the active Emgs it has become a Metal beast but is still able to play Rock and Blues.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Apr 15 2008, 06:42 PM
i would definately go with an ibanez! the neck is much better, they play extremely well, and they sound as good maybe even better, not to mention they are way cooler looking than gibsons

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Apr 15 2008, 06:45 PM

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 23 2011, 12:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 15 2008, 06:58 PM
The Dark Canuck
Superize it all depends on what your looking for really.

The above posts have made some great comparisons on the two guitars actually, but it might help a bit more to know what style of music you like to play. As was stated these are two different beast. Both great but one may suit your needs more then the other depending on your style.

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Apr 15 2008, 06:58 PM

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 15 2008, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I like to play Metal and espesially rythm and i really think that the Gibson will suits for that but i would also like to play lead so i would like a guitar that suits both lead and rythm

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 15 2008, 07:24 PM
Real he-men and he-women play Les Pauls, preferably strung with barbed wire.

Ibanez is a great guitar for little children.

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 15 2008, 07:28 PM
The Ibanez is much more of a metal-suited guitar, but honestly, your best bit is to go and try one out and find the tone and feel you're looking for, instead of asking us what we think you should get.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 15 2008, 08:09 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'd go with a gibson, no doubt smile.gif

Best guitars in the world!

I've got a Les Paul Studio Lite, Chet Atkins SST and a Les Paul Nashville Junior and I love them all..
Great sound, great playability, awesome necks on all of them and they look awesome smile.gif

Ibanez are also great guitars, it's just that I like Gibson much better smile.gif

QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 15 2008, 08:24 PM) *

Haha laugh.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Apr 15 2008, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 15 2008, 08:11 PM
Singing Instructor
I would go with Gibson Les Paul Costume,Black....most beautiful guitar for me...
smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 15 2008, 08:21 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Apr 15 2008, 09:11 PM) *
I would go with Gibson Les Paul Costume,Black....most beautiful guitar for me...
smile.gif

Oh yeah.. The Gibson Custom (ebony black of course) is my dream guitar..
One day I'm gonna own one, just you wait biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 15 2008, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Darfuria @ Apr 15 2008, 08:28 PM) *
The Ibanez is much more of a metal-suited guitar, but honestly, your best bit is to go and try one out and find the tone and feel you're looking for, instead of asking us what we think you should get.

I will go and try them out but i just wanted to know what everyone thougt

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
PolackHax0r
Apr 15 2008, 08:34 PM
Gibson is what I would go with. I like my Ibanez and it's fun to play, but I really like like feel of my (Epi) LP.

-Justin

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 15 2008, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 15 2008, 02:24 PM) *

Howabout something in between?

Attached Image

87 Gibson USA-1 suprt strat? Best of both worlds?

(photo from http://www.chrisguitars.com)

QUOTE (superize @ Apr 15 2008, 03:22 PM) *
I will go and try them out but i just wanted to know what everyone thougt

People pick one or the other for different reasons though. Lots of folks only ever stick with the same guitar they started with..or their first "real" guitar (Slash, Angus and Malcom, for example) and sometimes they can't see anyone playing anything else for any reason.

Some people will tell you you can't play metal on something like a Les Paul. I've seen people play metal onstage with a Telecaster. <shrug> It ends up depending on what feels good to you and what has the features you need for what you think you want to play.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Daverino
Apr 15 2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah maybe something in between like an American Strat HSS. The one with the humbucker in the bridge.

--------------------
Ibanez RG370DX
Ibanez RG7321
Yamaha Pacifica 120 SD with Gibson pickups
Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass
Squier MB-5 Bass
Marshall JCM 900 2 X12 Combo
Peavy Bandit 75
SGX 2000 Effects processor

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 15 2008, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (uberIbanez @ Apr 15 2008, 05:42 PM) *
i would definately go with an ibanez! the neck is much better for me, they play extremely well, and they sound as good maybe even better for my playing style, and i think they are way cooler looking than gibsons

just thought id add that... because neither of these brands are better than the other, they are just different.

its ALL about what YOU like and what you wanna play. gibson and ibanez are very different guitar brands.

i personally would go for gibson, but then again, i havent tried ibanez. but judging from how guitarists who use ibanez(edit: talking about tone here ofc) sounds, i dont think its the guitar for me.
and i LOVE gibson necks btw.

QUOTE (superize @ Apr 15 2008, 06:14 PM) *
I like to play Metal and espesially rythm and i really think that the Gibson will suits for that but i would also like to play lead so i would like a guitar that suits both lead and rythm

sounds like a Les Paul would fit perfect. but its entirely up to you. just gotta try several different ones.

This post has been edited by Robin: Apr 15 2008, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 15 2008, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Robin @ Apr 15 2008, 10:29 PM) *
just thought id add that... because neither of these brands are better than the other, they are just different.

its ALL about what YOU like and what you wanna play. gibson and ibanez are very different guitar brands.

i personally would go for gibson, but then again, i havent tried ibanez. but judging from how guitarists who use ibanez(edit: talking about tone here ofc) sounds, i dont think its the guitar for me.
and i LOVE gibson necks btw.

sounds like a Les Paul would fit perfect. but its entirely up to you. just gotta try several different ones.

I will defenently tryout many different guitars

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 15 2008, 09:41 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (superize @ Apr 15 2008, 03:14 PM) *

Well the LP is good for both rhythm and lead. Maybe try a Les Paul Studio. As I stated in another thread, Gabriel has one and I think he's proved it's a very versatile instrument. Everything from Neoclassical to Reggae, lead and rhythm.

But it will be a good idea like yo said to try as many guitars as you can to see which suits you best. Good luck though. It will be a fun shopping experience anyways smile.gif

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Apr 15 2008, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:28 PM