2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bigger String Size Make You Play Better?
Jorbazz
Jan 20 2008, 02:24 AM
GMC:er
Does anyone heard anything that the bigger strings you got the easier it is to play?
Today i just swiched from 09-46 to 10-52.
and i think that it feels better whene im playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
-ESP LTD EC-1000BLK Deluxe
-Marshall ADV 50 W
-Line-6 Floorpod

Studio Gear:
Allen&Heath Zed-14
Sonar LE

Favourite Bands:
Englebarn(Angelkid)
HangFace
Dream Theater
Alit Boazu(Blue Raindeer)
MindTwist
Iron-Maiden
Metallica
Liquid Tension Experiment
G3
Torch
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 20 2008, 02:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
Most people choose smaller strings because there is less resistance which makes them play better and faster. I play 10 or 11 size strings because I have more control over the tone with more resistance and that's what I need most in my beloved staccato-riffs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 20 2008, 02:27 AM
Could be for a variety of reasons. Your guitar might sound better through thicker strings, the playability could be better if it made your guitar more properly setup. You might have more control over your bends due to the tension if you tend to overbend. But after all, it's always preference, so if you feel that your playing better I'd stick to them.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Jorbazz
Jan 20 2008, 02:28 AM
I agree.

--------------------
My Gear:
-ESP LTD EC-1000BLK Deluxe
-Marshall ADV 50 W
-Line-6 Floorpod

Studio Gear:
Allen&Heath Zed-14
Sonar LE

Favourite Bands:
Englebarn(Angelkid)
HangFace
Dream Theater
Alit Boazu(Blue Raindeer)
MindTwist
Iron-Maiden
Metallica
Liquid Tension Experiment
G3
Torch

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jan 20 2008, 02:34 AM
No, no gear is going to make you play "better." Bigger strings may sound different, but not necessarily better to everyone. I use .8 usually and maybe .9 and they sound great, and are really easy to bend and vibrato with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 20 2008, 02:37 AM
Instructor
Individual matter 100%.

Depends of played and guitar as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 20 2008, 02:43 AM
personal preference if you ask me.it depends on what feels best to you, and what you want the tone to be, because im pretty sure string size could make a different tone(i think?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 20 2008, 02:45 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I use all kinds, i vary the size based on the tuning im in. Its a matter of personal preference completely

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 20 2008, 05:13 AM
Just because this topic is here i have an interesting fact to share biggrin.gif.. so my friend was up late 3am.. a while ago and tried to string his accoustic with electric strings accidentally.. then he realized and took them off.. he then gave them to me to string my electric.. i said.. what guage are these.. they seem very thick.. he says idk w/e.. so i string them to my jackson ( on my schecter i only use GHS Boomers or Elixer cause they both are smooth and have great tone) It turns out.. that the (low e) was actually a bass E string and my high E was really a b string.. so my tone is soo beefy it makes me shudder smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 20 2008, 05:16 AM
Yeah but that could Warp and damage your neck real bad.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 20 2008, 05:18 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 19 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Yeah but that could Warp and damage your neck real bad.

I recognize this fact.. but thats why i have it tuned down 2 steps smile.gif... as i said.. its very beef smile.gif its also on a cheaper guitar and if it works.. its my new signature thing smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 20 2008, 05:21 AM
I would still say adjust the Intonation, look down your neck and make sure it isnt warped! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 20 2008, 05:24 AM
thanks for the heads up tho smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 20 2008, 05:48 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jan 19 2008, 04:24 PM) *
thanks for the heads up tho smile.gif

I'd like to see some pics and or clips of that, sounds cool tongue.gif Also a cool fun thing to do is play your guitar through a bass amp. Look up Kyuss to hear how that sounds. Also check out Local H, the dude from that band put bass pickups on his guitar and he gets a cool sound.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 20 2008, 11:24 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I`d agree with a lot of the comments here, its down to personal preference for feel and for sound, I`ve used 10`s in the past but found the sound too heavy and then moved to 8`s but they felt too light, plus I seemed to break them every five minutes, 9`s seemed for me the best of both, the strings themselves arent going to make you play any better but if the feel is right for you its going its going to help, I find a mixture of things can make me play bad, if the sound isnt right then my focus is on that and not actually what I`m playing, the two kinda go hand in hand for me.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 20 2008, 05:17 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Question here. Do the size of the ffrets with the gauge of the string feel any different to you guys? on my washburn with med sized frets, the 10's feel better to me. On my Jacksons with jumbo's, the 9's feel better.

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 20 2008, 05:34 PM
I recently tried switching gauges after thinking about ways to help improve some problems I was having, namely speed and accuracy. It seemed logical to me that if the strings were thicker, then it would be easier to play faster and more accurately. I went from a .10 gauge to a .12 and the difference was like night and day, for me. The only problem was (outside of setting everything up again) I found out that since my fretting fingers weren't used to the thicker strings, I could easily tear through the calluses on my finger tips while doing bends on the B and E strings, but after a week or so the calluses toughened up and it was probably more beneficial than anything, in the end. I restringed with an.11 gauge the other day, and I have to say, I like the feel of the higher strings (G B and E) but I like the feel of the lower .12 gauge strings a lot more, so next string change, I'll be trying some hybrid strings.

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
Gus
Jan 21 2008, 11:43 PM
Hey. I would say that actually is a tradeoff for different sizes . I've been trying out 009 and 010 in different guitars and had different impressions on each of them. My epiphone Les Paul was just fine with the 010. while the mexican strat was better at 009 (010 better at Eb tuning). My newest guitar, an Ibanez RG prestige with floyd-rose, came equiped with 009 strings. I just loved the playability, except that my pull-offs on the lightest strings didn't sound right to me. I moved to 010 and the pull offs are just perfect but I miss the easy-easy bends sad.gif .

If I had enough money to throw away half tongue.gif of each new string package I would use:
E and B lower strings from a 10-52 package
All other strings from a 09-46

That would probably make my pull-offs sound the way I like them, without making the bends hard (I guess the total tension is more important than individual ones to bend with a floyd rose, while for the pull offs the difference is on the individual string size and tension)

blink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 22 2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor
No they sound different and have different properties

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jan 23 2008, 01:40 AM
Instructor
Now I'm using 8-38 and just say I love this size, it's really comfortable !!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:04 PM