14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Song Composing Collaboration, ...YOU READY!!?
Marcus Lavendell
Aug 23 2007, 04:53 AM
Instructor
Hello guys,

I would like to try a new kind of collaboration smile.gif

I want us to compose, record, and produce/mix a whole song – from scratch! I’m talking drums, bass, lyrics & vocals, maybe strings, choirs, etc. etc.... and of course Guitar! wink.gif

I need 5 – 10 people who are into rock (hard and rythmic rock)

If you don’t want to play yourself you can still contribute with your ideas, then I (or someone else) can play the riffs in your place. Just send Tabs, GuitarPro files, sheet music, mp3 files, videos, or anything you can think of to let us know about your riffs and/or ideas.

To maintain the same high quality sound I want all of us to use the same PODxt preset.
Attached File  Collab.l6t ( 1.75K ) Number of downloads: 862

For those of you who haven’t got a PODxt but still want your playing in the song, I got this crazy idea that might actually work: Send me a .mp3 file with your “clean” guitar (just plug your guitar direct into the soundcard, and record. without any amp). Then I can run that file through my POD and we should have the same sound.

I’ve made this intro to get us started, and to give you an idea of what type of feel/attitude I want in this song. Take a listen to it, to see if you’re interested in participating. smile.gif

Attached File  collab_intro.mp3 ( 850.09K ) Number of downloads: 1263

We need 5 – 10 people who will put their soul into this project, but of course anyone at GMC are welcome to contribute with ideas and constructive criticism.

Line up:

* jeff
* Nick325
* ezravdb
* Kurt
* GroovinMastiff
+ GroovinMastiff's brother (on drums)
* leedbreak
* JVM
* steve25
* DeepRoots
* ballistic31
* Kristofer Dahl

* Owen
* Otto
* Iluha
* Pentatonic Gathering

Here's what we've got so far:

Attached File  Are_You_Ready.mp3 ( 10.62MB ) Number of downloads: 1847

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lavendell: Oct 11 2007, 12:20 AM

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 23 2007, 05:01 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (lavendell @ Aug 22 2007, 10:53 PM) *
Hello guys,

I would like to try a new kind of collaboration smile.gif

I want us to compose, record, and produce/mix a whole song – from scratch! I'm talking drums, bass, lyrics & vocals, maybe strings, choirs, etc. etc.... and of course Guitar! wink.gif

I need 5 – 10 people who are into rock (hard and rythmic rock)

If you don't want to play yourself you can still contribute with your ideas, then I (or someone else) can play the riffs in your place. Just send Tabs, GuitarPro files, sheet music, mp3 files, videos, or anything you can think of to let us know about your riffs and/or ideas.

To maintain the same high quality sound I want all of us to use the same PODxt preset. For those of you who haven't got a PODxt but still want your playing in the song, I got this crazy idea that might actually work: Send me a .mp3 file with your "clean" guitar (just plug your guitar direct into the soundcard, and record. without any amp). Then I can run that file through my POD and we should have the same sound.

I've made this intro to get us started, and to give you an idea of what type of feel/attitude I want in this song. Take a listen to it, to see if you're interested in participating. smile.gif

Attached File  collab_intro.mp3 ( 850.09K ) Number of downloads: 1263

We need 5 – 10 people who will put their soul into this project, but of course anyone at GMC are welcome to contribute with ideas and constructive criticism.

-Marcus

I feel like a collaboration hog but I've got to get in on this one. I might even beat MickeM to the draw! ohmy.gif laugh.gif . I've got a PODxt and I'm ready to go Marcus!

Hey Kris, how about you?? (do you smell a challange?) biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 23 2007, 05:06 AM
k im in marcus

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Aug 23 2007, 05:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 23 2007, 06:01 AM) *
I feel like a collaboration hog but I've got to get in on this one. I might even beat MickeM to the draw! ohmy.gif laugh.gif . I've got a PODxt and I'm ready to go Marcus!

Awesome, Jeff! You're in! smile.gif
I'll post the PODxt preset a.s.a.p!

-Marcis

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 23 2007, 05:09 AM
So you have to be able to have a soundcard or pod xe ? to get your riffs on the track?Well all i have is a mp3 player to record and a amp sad.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 23 2007, 05:12 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 23 2007, 12:01 AM) *

Hey Marcus, this looks really cool - taking it to the next level!

I'm doing too many already but I'll be cheering from the sidelines smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 23 2007, 05:16 AM
GMC Founder

Man I would kill to be a part of this - it's an awesome idea Marcus, you rock! biggrin.gif

Given the time it takes for me to launch the new site features - I would probably delay this collab with a couple of months. sad.gif

I'd love to get into one when things calm down and I can give the forum as much time as I would like to.

K

--------------------

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
Aug 23 2007, 05:19 AM
Hey Marcus,
This is a great idea! My brother would like to know if he can contribute drums to the song, he is a pretty good drummer who got accepted to Berklee and he would like to be a part of this.
He wants to know when you need the drum track by, the tempo you're looking for etc.
When he actually gets something recorded, I'll post it up here for everyone to hear. wink.gif

I would like to contribute guitar as well, but my shredding skills aren't up to snuff yet so I'm not sure whether or not I will come up with anything interesting. I'll start working on a few ideas tonight, and if I find that I come up with something that sounds decent, I'll post it up here for sure. smile.gif

Peace cool.gif

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 23 2007, 05:21 AM
Standard tuning or Dropped-D ?
Tempo ?
Target Key for the primary theme ?

Do you have even a quick n dirty tab for what you have on that intro idea to base other riffs off the same progressive theme ?

Oh, and way cool idea! =D

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 23 2007, 05:40 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I might even beat MickeM to the draw! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif I'm beaten!

and since I'm a rare NON Pod user I won't take up a spot in this collaboration, my first miss. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Aug 23 2007, 05:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 23 2007, 06:09 AM) *
So you have to be able to have a soundcard or pod xe ? to get your riffs on the track?Well all i have is a mp3 player to record and a amp sad.gif

Maybe it's possible to plug your guitar into the mp3 player and record, and then import the file to the computer?

-Marcus

QUOTE (GroovinMastiff @ Aug 23 2007, 06:19 AM) *
Hey Marcus,
This is a great idea! My brother would like to know if he can contribute drums to the song, he is a pretty good drummer who got accepted to Berklee and he would like to be a part of this.
He wants to know when you need the drum track by, the tempo you're looking for etc.
When he actually gets something recorded, I'll post it up here for everyone to hear. wink.gif

I would like to contribute guitar as well, but my shredding skills aren't up to snuff yet so I'm not sure whether or not I will come up with anything interesting. I'll start working on a few ideas tonight, and if I find that I come up with something that sounds decent, I'll post it up here for sure. smile.gif

Peace cool.gif

Hey GroovinMastiff,

It would be awesome if your brother could play the drums on the song! Though the song must be pretty much finished (compose-wise) before he can record them. Tell him - he's in! smile.gif

Great, post your ideas here! You're also in! smile.gif

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Aug 23 2007, 05:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Aug 23 2007, 06:21 AM) *
Standard tuning or Dropped-D ?
Tempo ?
Target Key for the primary theme ?

Do you have even a quick n dirty tab for what you have on that intro idea to base other riffs off the same progressive theme ?

Oh, and way cool idea! =D

Here's a quick & dirty tab smile.gif

e------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------
A--0---3-5-0-3-5-0-3-7-7-7-6---3-5-0---3-5-0-3-5-0-----
E--0---3-5-0-3-5-0-3-7-7-7-6---3-5-0---3-5-0-3-5-0-----

drop-D tuning. Tune down the low E-string two half notes (two frets)

Tempo: 138 bpm

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 23 2007, 06:03 AM
I have a podXT can I come out and play?

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 23 2007, 06:10 AM
Learning Roadie
I'd like to do something, what key is it in?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Aug 23 2007, 06:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Aug 23 2007, 07:03 AM) *
I have a podXT can I come out and play?

Of course leedbreak! Welcome!
Download the PODxt preset and rock away!! tongue.gif I've attached it to the first post.

So far, the line up looks like this:

* jeff
* Nick325
* ezravdb
* Kurt
* GroovinMastiff
* GroovinMastiff's brother
(on drums)
* leedbreak
* JVM
* exorcyze
* DeepRoots

Anyone of you who can write lyrics... and maybe even sing? smile.gif

-Marcus

This post has been edited by lavendell: Aug 23 2007, 03:36 PM

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 23 2007, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure my lyrics or vocal-style would be a great fit! XD

Did you have any thoughts for general composition ( IE like standard AABACB or whatever ) to give an idea of how many guitar / bass slots you may want to fill ?

Also, know of any free VST plugins to transform guitar stuff to bass sound ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 23 2007, 07:17 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Hey Marcus are you still accepting? My recording equipment needs some money thrown at it at the moment but I've tabbed down a variation riff of your intro as a .gp5 if your ready to start accepting...(i'll obviously need either yourself or someone else to play it for me)
Anyhow its a sliding octave riff that i thought would fit just after the intro.
Not all of us are master composers yet so i thought i might as well take a crack at the simpler stuff..
Should i post it now or are you still waiting?

DeepRoots

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 23 2007, 07:31 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, if I do this I'm going to need to record it for you on my camera which probably will not have great sound quality, so I'll tab it for you and record an example so that you know how it ought to sound. Then you'll have to mix it in for me with your own re recording tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 23 2007, 01:47 PM
Hey Marcus,

Could you post just the drum track, I thing it would help me get a grip on things, I played around some tonight to get the following but it would not be the right tempo, just some ideas I tossed around,,, it is late and I am not thinking straight, better go to bed.

Attached File  just_playin_around.mp3 ( 516.23K ) Number of downloads: 823

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Aug 23 2007, 01:47 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 23 2007, 03:47 PM
Haha! I love your "YOU READY!?" sample biggrin.gif
I will join these collabs later on, I don't feel ready for this yet.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:37 PM