What Pick Up Suits Well With Melodies & Rythym?
Irfan21
Mar 23 2008, 08:12 AM
GMC:er
hi again guys biggrin.gif,

i have some question :

1.what pick up suits well for melodies ?

2. what pick up suits well for rythym?

3. what pick up suits both?

is it humbucker or single coil please mention for each one smile.gif thanks before for the help smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 23 2008, 08:53 AM
Instructor
What style are you playing ???
I usually use bridge for legato & tapping melodies and rythm (metal); fretboard position for picking and sweep melodies and middle for acoustic chords smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Irfan21
Mar 23 2008, 09:05 AM
can you mention your guitar pickup? i mean like H-S-H or something like that tongue.gif

and i was just wondering would a guitar with H-H suits for melodies just fine?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 23 2008, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Of course it would, it can depend on the style of the music your into. For example if you play a lot of heavy stuff and/or like to use a lot if drive or manily drive, than HH is great way to go. Also, HSH is a good combo for versatiliy, since you can use the single pickup in the middle for cleans, country, blues even jazzy stuff. Neck single can be great for rhythm and some nice warm dirty riffing too, and bridge humbucker can be used for soloing quite often in any style. My suggesiton is to put hum in the bridge always.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 23 2008, 08:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Irfan21 @ Mar 23 2008, 09:05 AM) *
can you mention your guitar pickup? i mean like H-S-H or something like that tongue.gif

and i was just wondering would a guitar with H-H suits for melodies just fine?

yes, I have a H-S-H in my both guitars smile.gif but a H-H would be good and maybe better wink.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 23 2008, 08:39 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
All my guitars have 2 Humbuckers and this works perfectly fine for rhythm AND lead, and of course there is always the option to split a humbucker if you want a singlecoil sound with such a guitar. But the general choice of what pickup you should go for seriously depends of what style of music you want to play and what guitar you are using.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Mar 24 2008, 07:22 AM
Instructor
It also depends on what kind of pickups..active vs passive.

Me personally i prefer passive pickups. I get a much warmer sound the way i play with passive pickups. My personal picking and muting style tends to sound muddy when using active pickups. I have always been a huge Seymour Duncan fan, almost all guitars i have owned have had some form of Seymour pickup in them. Although i dont like all Seymours. I didnt really care for the Dimebucker its too fizzy for my taste.

On the other hand i really love the George Lynch Screamin Demon pups they have more growl and less high end squeal.

When deciding on pickups its best to try all you can get your hands on. Everyone sounds different playing thru different gear. Match the gear to your playing.

Alot of your tone comes from your fingers and picking. Let me give a short example of something that happend to me.

I was at a local guitar store and some guy was wailing away with a Jem thru a JSX half stack...man it sounded monstrous. I asked him to try it for a minute. You know what? It sounded like crap...even he was like WTH?!

I went over a VOX AD100VTH that i normally play thru and grabbed a Jackson Dinky off the wall that has Seymour pickups in it. I had great tone and awesome warmth in the sound. The same guy tried what i was playing same guitar..same amp same settings...now he sounded like crud.

You have to realize that you have to specialize your gear to your own liking. Alot of trial an error and lots of trying out lots of different things to get the sound you want.

Daniel

This post has been edited by D.Robinson: Mar 24 2008, 07:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Irfan21
Mar 24 2008, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (D.Robinson @ Mar 24 2008, 01:22 PM) *
It also depends on what kind of pickups..active vs passive.

Me personally i prefer passive pickups. I get a much warmer sound the way i play with passive pickups. My personal picking and muting style tends to sound muddy when using active pickups. I have always been a huge Seymour Duncan fan, almost all guitars i have owned have had some form of Seymour pickup in them. Although i dont like all Seymours. I didnt really care for the Dimebucker its too fizzy for my taste.

sorry but could you tell me a bit more about this active and passive thing? because i dont know if there is such thing as passive and active pickup tongue.gif, i would be very grateful if you explain it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Irfan21: Mar 24 2008, 12:26 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 24 2008, 08:30 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
An active pickup needs a battery, which is placed inside your guitar, a good example would be EMG pickups. The nice thing about active pickups is the fact that you can use very long cables without losing your sound, on the other hand some people say that they sound cold compared to passive pickups (something that I seriously disagree with, I use EMG pickups in many of my guitars and I love the sound). I contrast to active pickups passive ones don't need any batteries.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Irfan21
Mar 25 2008, 12:53 PM
oh, i see, what about wireless? did passive pick up also lose its sound when we use wireless for the guitar?

+Quote Post
Irfan21
Apr 3 2008, 11:31 AM
bump. hhe i hope someone answer my question tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 3 2008, 12:37 PM
Instructor
I think that depends on the quality of the wireless system itself. Didn't use wireless systems but I guess on more expensive models there are no signal loss.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 3 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
i think you need to humbacker and one single coil if you play almost kinds of music .

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 4 2008, 07:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Irfan21 @ Mar 25 2008, 01:53 PM) *
oh, i see, what about wireless? did passive pick up also lose its sound when we use wireless for the guitar?

Hmm.that's good one. unsure.gif
Not sure,I don't think type of pickup has anything to do with wireless.

I'd add one thing only.
I've had many guitars with H in neck,splited of course.
But you just can't get the same result with splited H as with regular S.
Still it's fully up to you,perhaps you'll like splitted H more. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Irfan21
Apr 7 2008, 01:54 AM
wow, i think i need to hear them both tongue.gif, before i never care what pickup i use i just play and enjoy it tongue.gif

now i must be more cautious tongue.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 7 2008, 02:16 AM
Hmm, I think you need to be more specific about what sound you want.
You say melodies. What kind? Clean melodies? Heavily distorted melodies? Slightly dirty? Do you want your melodies to sound smooth? Warm? Bright?
You say rythem. What kind? Heavy metal palm muted rythems? Clean strumming rythem? Do want a bassy rythem? Midrangey rythem? Do want a tight rythem sound?

Please, let us know what kind of sound you want and we will be able to offer better advice. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:00 PM