When Did You Write Your First Song?
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2011, 10:39 AM
Instructor
Back in 2007, I had been living with the absolute belief that I could NEVER write a whole song by myself. In 2008, things started taking a different turn for me and i found myself as the one who was responsible with creating things in my band back then, so i had to find a way. And by 2009 I couldn't believe I actually amassed enough material for a whole album. Well, my self confidence grew stronger each day, so I kept going! Today, it feels natural and so nice!

When did this happen for you - when did you write your first song? If you haven't done it already...what's stopping you, in your opinion?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 14 2011, 10:47 AM
GMC:er
i can write some melodies for collabs, for example! but an actual song, i just don't feel ready yet cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 14 2011, 10:47 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Oct 14 2011, 12:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very interesting topic, especially the question "What's stopping you".

I wrote most of my songs back in times when I was in a band.

I wrote my first song when I was about 18-19, I think, but I didn't write it all at once - it was a looooong process. The song itself was a mixture of 2-3 songs that I wrote in the key of Am, so I mixed them up and added some harmonies and lyrics.

After that I wrote lots of material but only a few full songs were made from that. Now I have bunch of Guitar Pro files with lots of riffs, solos, ideas, melodies, breakdowns which don't make up a whole song. What's stopping me is actually the fact that I am rarely satisfied with my own work, and I often get the feeling that I'm repeating myself in the melodies, chord progressions, musical ideas... But when I am satisfied, I am REALLY satisfied smile.gif and I listen to that thing over and over and really work hard on it. However, I guess my lack of theory knowledge is stopping me (for example, I use all the basic scales but no modes etc.)

And I hate to write lyrics, because I think everything I make will be too cheesy biggrin.gif I don't know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2011, 12:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Oct 14 2011, 11:30 AM) *
Very interesting topic, especially the question "What's stopping you".

I wrote most of my songs back in times when I was in a band.

I wrote my first song when I was about 18-19, I think, but I didn't write it all at once - it was a looooong process. The song itself was a mixture of 2-3 songs that I wrote in the key of Am, so I mixed them up and added some harmonies and lyrics.

After that I wrote lots of material but only a few full songs were made from that. Now I have bunch of Guitar Pro files with lots of riffs, solos, ideas, melodies, breakdowns which don't make up a whole song. What's stopping me is actually the fact that I am rarely satisfied with my own work, and I often get the feeling that I'm repeating myself in the melodies, chord progressions, musical ideas... But when I am satisfied, I am REALLY satisfied smile.gif and I listen to that thing over and over and really work hard on it. However, I guess my lack of theory knowledge is stopping me (for example, I use all the basic scales but no modes etc.)

And I hate to write lyrics, because I think everything I make will be too cheesy biggrin.gif I don't know.

I had the same exact problem until I started relating to the stuff that was going on around me in everyday life! You CAN'T go wrong with that! Give it a go biggrin.gif I had a wonderful experience writing the lyrics for the first 5 Aria songs! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 14 2011, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Me and my band wrote our first full song just recently.

Unfortunately i dont have any recordings of it yet but when i do i will share it for you.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2011, 03:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 14 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Me and my band wrote our first full song just recently.

Unfortunately i dont have any recordings of it yet but when i do i will share it for you.

Looking forward to it mate! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2011, 05:12 PM
Instructor
I wrote my first songs when I was around 15. I used to jam with a guitarist friend and I remember that we did some songs that were a mix of punk rock with Iron Maiden. One of the songs was called "Doncella de hierro" that means "Iron Maiden" in spanish, and it talked about how much we love maiden. biggrin.gif
However it took some years to be proud of my own compositions. I think that it's a matter of practice and experience as everything in music. You have to compose, compose and one day you start to make cool things (at least for you). smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 14 2011, 07:44 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I was 14 and it was just a few chords and some random lyrics. I played it with my guitar and sang it with two friends.
If you want a "real" song (though it is still without recorded lyrics), it was in August 2010 (recorded in my ex-gf's place):

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2011, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 14 2011, 02:44 PM) *
I was 14 and it was just a few chords and some random lyrics. I played it with my guitar and sang it with two friends.
If you want a "real" song (though it is still without recorded lyrics), it was in August 2010 (recorded in my ex-gf's place):

So that's why the wall is pink! smile.gif I was about to say......

Well done on the song! When I was 14 I could barely play stairway to heaven smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 14 2011, 10:17 PM
Instructor
I don't remember exactly, but I think it was when I was 17, a 2 year since I started to play guitar smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 14 2011, 11:26 PM
Instructor
I think was about 13-14 years old, I wrote a riff tongue.gif

and then it developed into a song, it is a very special feeling actually,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 15 2011, 01:49 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I was 14, it was an instrumental called "Revelation Space"

Here is the modern version of it

http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/re...e-death-rebirth

I never really wrote anything before that, then I finished a book called "Revelation Space" by Alastair Reynolds, and it was the kick start to everything I have written over the past seven years, literally everything. Strange that it was a book that got me to write my first songs, and nothing to do with music.

Since I was 19 or so, I slowly stopped learning songs and started focusing entirely on composition. Now, its an obsession smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2011, 06:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Oct 15 2011, 12:49 AM) *
I was 14, it was an instrumental called "Revelation Space"

Here is the modern version of it

http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/re...e-death-rebirth

I never really wrote anything before that, then I finished a book called "Revelation Space" by Alastair Reynolds, and it was the kick start to everything I have written over the past seven years, literally everything. Strange that it was a book that got me to write my first songs, and nothing to do with music.

Since I was 19 or so, I slowly stopped learning songs and started focusing entirely on composition. Now, its an obsession smile.gif

I never quite learned too many songs myself biggrin.gif I always wanted to compose tongue.gif so I perfectly understand what you mean! Nowadays, I learn songs when I want to understand something out of them or I simply learn the ones who I like that bad, that I need to learn them! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:50 AM