Help With Recording, I Know Nothing
Shred Kid
Apr 14 2008, 07:13 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys,
Ok so i'm interested in starting to record my music. I want to be able to record my guitar, a bass guitar and vocals. I don't own a drum kit but i want to be able to create drums in my compositions, for this somebody recommended to me that I purchase a program called the drumkit from hell. What are all of the hardware and software components i would need to start recording in my home and around how much would it cost me to set up my own recording studio at home? thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 14 2008, 08:02 AM
Singing Instructor
hi...well,you need computer,and with 2 gb of ram,if you want drum kits from hell,so that would work ok....
you need sound card...wait somebody of guitarist to answer your post,they will tell you what is the best way to go,considering sound card...next,you need DAW(digital audio workstation),like cubase/nuendo,reaper...etc...
and how much would cost you,I am not shore...smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 14 2008, 08:22 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Drumkit from Hell is an add on to EZ drummer. So you'd need that program to start with to get it to work I belive.

Regarding soundcard, yes. Look for one with input for microphone (with phantom power) and 1/4" plug for guitar and bass.

My own story is that I was looking at the soundcards Firebox and Konnekt8, I started off by getting the Line6 POD X3 Live which showed to work teriffic as a sound interface on its own. So right now, I don't need a sound interface. I even got MIDI with the POD X3. So that might be something to concider.

And finally something to record into. Reaper is a well functioning sequencer and you can use it for free as long as you like though they of course prefer that you pay for it.

Summary:
- POD X3 Live
- Reaper
- EZ Drummer to get the Drumkit from Hell addon to work

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 14 2008, 12:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
** Small correction to Micke ** (Sorry! rolleyes.gif )

Drumkit From Hell started out as its own product - a very full featured but complex drum plugin. Toontracks then released EZDrummer - a lot simpler and better in my opinion as it has a far better interface and also includes a groove library which DFH does not (or didn;t last time I looked ar it), but it had a different drumkit to DFH. Since then, toontracks have released a number of addon packs, for instance a Latin Kit, and also the DFH kit. So in fact what Micke says is correct, just not the whole story (so that makes me a pedant I guess???).

In any case, Like Micke, I would reccomend EZD with the DFH addon pack for metal drums, especially since others have reccomended it to you. Another popular choice is Addictive Drums. For the rest, Mickes advice is spot on.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2008, 08:31 PM
Instructor
I agree with Andrew and Micke, EZDrummer and Addictive are the best quality drums that you can use in a home studio, and not too expencive too.

As for bass try virtual bassist for grooves and Spectrasonic Trilogy bass.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:40 AM