Tapping
SLASH91
Feb 11 2008, 03:27 AM
GMC:er
Hey GMC! In my efforts to master Sweeping and AP, I'm afraid that I've been extremely negligent in practicing tapping. This is keeping me from learning alot of awesome lessons, like Winding Roads. I really want to learn this technique, but I just need a couple of questions answered.

1. I'm also learning flamenco, so I'm growing my nails out...Is that a problem for tapping?
2. I'm not quite clear on whether or not when you strike the string with your tapping hand you pull of upwards or downwards. Does it matter?

Thanks, I'll post any other questions I think of. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Feb 11 2008, 03:30 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 11 2008, 04:07 AM
Firstly, I have really long nails for classical guitar. and after a little while I managed to learn to tap in angle where my nails weren't in the way, I mean not with the tip of the finger but the next part lower the tip. I don't now have any troubles with tapping I can do Winding roads for example no problem, so I don't think it's a big deal if you have long nails... Although I started tapping long before I grew my nails so when I started tapping this one time and broke my nail with the very first tap as it hit just the nail... sad.gif

Secondly, I tap upwards no problem, but I think most people tap downwards. I think because there is a certain muting question in it: When you tap downwards you can usually mute the higher strings with your left hand, but if you tap upwards it's not that easy for the lower strings, you might get string noise, but then again I don't get any string noise eventhough I tap upwards...
So I don't think it matters but if your new to the technique I would suggest pulling of downwards...

Hope my answers helped smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 11 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks alot. I'm not completely new to the techinque, but I havn't practiced it at all, Just done some random stuff. I also find it easier to tap upwards, so that's the way I'll go. Thanks once again. smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 11 2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor
I combine upward in downward actually,for single finger taps it's usually downward
and when I use more right hand fingers to tap then it's mostly upward.
But not all the time upward,I can see it varies from lick to lick tho.
So there isn't some kind of rule for that,
just explore a bit and see what is easier for you,to get clean and powerful sound. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 08:38 PM
Instructor
When you do the tapping combine different techniques relative to the position where you are on the neck and what you are playing. Generally I suggest that you do the tappings upward.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 12 2008, 03:59 PM
I've been experimenting even more, and I really cannot get a very clean, powerful sound with tapping downwards. I can also tap upwards much faster. Thanks for your help guys; I can't wait to master this technique. smile.gif

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM