2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hello Gmc Family- Request For Instructors.
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 27 2008, 11:18 PM
GMC:er
Hello Everyone biggrin.gif - I have been looking around the forum and seeing what other members are concerned with and whats been hot lately and Ive been seeing alot of things on Practice Routine.

Not only is it cool that we have members keeping logs of their practice routines but there are also licks and everything to follow from some of the coolest people on Gmc biggrin.gif

So I had the Idea that maybe 1 or more instructors could step up to the plate and make a lesson on practice routine for a various technique or anything of that nature.

I would love to see what Muris practices that got him so good at Alternate Picking.

Or how Kris developed a great Sweep Technique in what appeared to be a short period of time.

Or how Ivan managed to gain such a outstanding feel for the blues.

Or how Carlos manages to make the most beauitufl melodies.......

And you get the picture.

Im just requesting a lesson on how exactly a "instructor" developed a technique over the years.
Sure we have lessons on licks, riffs, etc. etc.

But how about something on " How you got really good at "insert technique here"

And I know the obvious answer is Practice. But Practice is a broad source, And I think if we went through some of the Instructors Practice Routines- we might be improving faster then we thought smile.gif

Thanks Guys- John cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: May 27 2008, 11:20 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 27 2008, 11:43 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Awesome request man! I too have often wondered how our instructors practice and what routine they follow to master a given technique. Looking forward to some replies on this one for sure!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
May 27 2008, 11:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
I like this idea a lot! smile.gif

How 'bout it guys? happy.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 28 2008, 12:16 AM
Great idea ESJ

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 28 2008, 01:55 AM
Instructor
Great!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 28 2008, 02:35 AM
Ahh thank god , I thought I was alone laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 28 2008, 02:37 AM
Instructor
Sounds interesting nonetheless!!
Will see what I can do,
can't recall any practicing agenda I've used for alternate
but there are few licks I like to play over and over wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 28 2008, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 27 2008, 05:37 PM) *
Sounds interesting nonetheless!!
Will see what I can do,
can't recall any practicing agenda I've used for alternate
but there are few licks I like to play over and over wink.gif

Doesnt have to be for AP !

Any technique !

Anything from you Muris is great so im not really picky laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
May 28 2008, 03:01 AM
Instructor
it´s a great idea laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 28 2008, 09:02 AM
Instructor
good idea . this will support the members for more improvements and more practicing
but after that you have to change your neck name to Eat-no sleep-and jam smile.gif

cheers mate.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2008, 12:43 PM
Instructor
THat's a very cool idea. I think a small insight in practice routines can be really helpful.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 28 2008, 12:59 PM
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ May 28 2008, 12:02 AM) *
good idea . this will support the members for more improvements and more practicing
but after that you have to change your neck name to Eat-no sleep-and jam smile.gif

cheers mate.

Only if you pay for it ? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 28 2008, 03:43 AM) *
THat's a very cool idea. I think a small insight in practice routines can be really helpful.

Yes, thats exactly why Id like a lesson discussing it biggrin.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 28 2008, 01:03 PM
This sounds like a sensible and useful suggestion smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Canis
May 28 2008, 01:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome request smile.gif
I hope a lot of instructors jump on this wave =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 28 2008, 10:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought thats what the instructors already did.

When GMC started out, and Kris was bringing people on, he told them to do lessons on their strongest technique on guitar.

Pavels went with sweeping and AP and metal, and Gabriel went with Blues and Rock licks.

Since then all the instructors have composed their lessons to focus on certian aspects of the instrument.

The Lessons may not necessarily be "The Lick" that got them into AP or sweeping, but they are multiple licks and exercises connected into a musical piece that each instructor feels will greatly improve a students capability of playing the certian technique that their lesson covered.

For example:

Q: Hey muris, could you should me a couple of licks and sweeps that got you good at neoclassical style playing?

A: Well, why dont you learn my Extreme Neoclassical Lesson, which is full of amazing licks and sweeps in that style. Then grab a metronome and start playing slowly, then work your speed up over time.

I could be wrong, but I thought this is what the instructors were already doing. Now if you are asking for them to making a lesson on HOW they practice, thats different, but its also difficult to make a lesson on that. It would just be a short explanation video, which could be supplemented by posting in the instructor forums for the instructor that you are interested in.

This post has been edited by Jenkinson: May 28 2008, 10:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 30 2008, 12:42 AM
QUOTE (Jenkinson @ May 28 2008, 01:33 PM) *
I could be wrong, but I thought thats what the instructors already did.

When GMC started out, and Kris was bringing people on, he told them to do lessons on their strongest technique on guitar.

Pavels went with sweeping and AP and metal, and Gabriel went with Blues and Rock licks.

Since then all the instructors have composed their lessons to focus on certian aspects of the instrument.

The Lessons may not necessarily be "The Lick" that got them into AP or sweeping, but they are multiple licks and exercises connected into a musical piece that each instructor feels will greatly improve a students capability of playing the certian technique that their lesson covered.

For example:

Q: Hey muris, could you should me a couple of licks and sweeps that got you good at neoclassical style playing?

A: Well, why dont you learn my Extreme Neoclassical Lesson, which is full of amazing licks and sweeps in that style. Then grab a metronome and start playing slowly, then work your speed up over time.

I could be wrong, but I thought this is what the instructors were already doing. Now if you are asking for them to making a lesson on HOW they practice, thats different, but its also difficult to make a lesson on that. It would just be a short explanation video, which could be supplemented by posting in the instructor forums for the instructor that you are interested in.

Your Right However, Practice Routine is something far different then just licks. Its like comparing Pancakes to Frenchtoast. Almost the same but there is a distinct difference that happens to make all the difference between the two.
Hope my cheesy metaphor explained my point ? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: May 30 2008, 12:43 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 30 2008, 01:07 AM
Instructor
I definately understand where your coming from. Practicing techniques though, its just like a chain of command really.

You come here to learn from the instructors, when the instructors want to learn something we research and learn just like you do.

For example if i am looking for a particularly good excersise for say string skipping i will search out artists that are really good at it (Paul Gilbert) and assimilate a few of their licks into my own playing style.

If i want to delv into tapped arps i go to people like Tony Macalpine. I think really the only big difference is a developed ear and seasoned dexterity, i could for instance watch a few T-mac vids and pick out some of his licks and just play them, maybe not perfectly at first but with a little effort achieve the sound i am looking for.

Just i stated in my "What are your weaknesses" sticky. There are probably things you can do better then i can and vice versa the only difference is experience, and because of that experience i am able to dissect and learn a new technique a little faster.

The biggest bonus that you all have here is that for most of us instructors when we started out we didnt have things like TAB, or GMC to draw on for information. It was all ear learning and reading books which really slowed down the process that you all are getting at an accelerated rate.

I fully believe that some GMC members are going to become far superior to us instructors in a short amount of time because your able to get the information from informed sources very easily rather then the "Hunt and peck" method alot of us learned thru.

I don't know, maybe some of us instuctors could collaborate on a 101 for how we practice but, it would have to be quite a few of us to make it worthwhile.

Practice techniques that work for me may not work for you just because your a different person then I am.

I suppose if we did something like this you could see a huge array of ideas and find ones that suit you, but if only 1 or 2 instructors did something like this you wouldnt get the whole picture and i think that would be a disservice to you the students.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 30 2008, 12:41 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ May 29 2008, 04:07 PM) *
I definately understand where your coming from. Practicing techniques though, its just like a chain of command really.

You come here to learn from the instructors, when the instructors want to learn something we research and learn just like you do.

For example if i am looking for a particularly good excersise for say string skipping i will search out artists that are really good at it (Paul Gilbert) and assimilate a few of their licks into my own playing style.

If i want to delv into tapped arps i go to people like Tony Macalpine. I think really the only big difference is a developed ear and seasoned dexterity, i could for instance watch a few T-mac vids and pick out some of his licks and just play them, maybe not perfectly at first but with a little effort achieve the sound i am looking for.

Just i stated in my "What are your weaknesses" sticky. There are probably things you can do better then i can and vice versa the only difference is experience, and because of that experience i am able to dissect and learn a new technique a little faster.

The biggest bonus that you all have here is that for most of us instructors when we started out we didnt have things like TAB, or GMC to draw on for information. It was all ear learning and reading books which really slowed down the process that you all are getting at an accelerated rate.

I fully believe that some GMC members are going to become far superior to us instructors in a short amount of time because your able to get the information from informed sources very easily rather then the "Hunt and peck" method alot of us learned thru.

I don't know, maybe some of us instuctors could collaborate on a 101 for how we practice but, it would have to be quite a few of us to make it worthwhile.

Practice techniques that work for me may not work for you just because your a different person then I am.

I suppose if we did something like this you could see a huge array of ideas and find ones that suit you, but if only 1 or 2 instructors did something like this you wouldnt get the whole picture and i think that would be a disservice to you the students.

Daniel

What a post ! smile.gif

I agree with you 100%. Regardless of how any of you learned, the end result is quite impressive.
And maybe that "hunt and peck" method might even work better for some of us, then we have to play more things by ear, and dig deaper into the whole rather then having the treasure be handed to us right away.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
May 31 2008, 01:41 AM
Instructor
I would be interesting to show what did the instructur use to practice in their earlier years and show what excercises still they are ussing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
May 31 2008, 03:31 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ May 30 2008, 08:41 PM) *
I would be interesting to show what did the instructur use to practice in their earlier years and show what excercises still they are ussing.

That would be cool! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:17 AM