14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Yoncopin's Bootcamp, Earn it Soldier!!!!!!
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2016, 07:00 PM
GMC:er
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!! This lick is really handy when playing a solo that is in an open string key! Try to mess around with in in any backing of E, A, D, G, or B. and use the appropriate string! smile.gif Easy as that . For now, let's debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Very even and steady timing
2.)Great palm mute ( never lifted once)
3.)Smooth precisoin/speed.

In short you just killed it and are ready to dive in to the deep end!! I fear I mislead you with the double chevron though sad.gif Lesson 12 is the last of the single chevron lessons. You get your first double badge at Level 13. Then your Triple Badge at level 26. The highest soldier we have currently is Fzalfa @ Level 32. The first Quad Chevron badge is at level 39. I"ve been teaching here more than five years an nobody, I repeat, nobody has EVER reached the Quad badge. With persistence you could be the first!!

For now, you just LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 30 2016, 09:15 PM) *
Lesson 12 110bpm with multipicking! Double chevron here I come!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 3 2016, 01:20 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, this time for the double chevron! Lesson 13 @ 140bpm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2016, 11:23 PM
Is that an RG570 by chance? Nice smile.gif On to the debrief!

BLOOD IN!!! BLOOD OUT!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Ascending and Descending in steady, solid pacing.
2.)TIGHT hand synch through the entire run.
3.)Blood on the Frets!!! ( I can hear the time you put in, in every note)

This is a tough Mission on the picking hand, and you just KARUSHED IT!!!!! All of your work is paying off in spades Soldier!!

Congrats Soldier, you just CROSSED OVER to the rare land of the DOUBLE CHEVRON BADGE!!

and......LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 2 2016, 08:20 PM) *
Ok, this time for the double chevron! Lesson 13 @ 140bpm

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 3 2016, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 5 2016, 08:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 14 @150bpm. This one was a lot of fun smile.gif Playing the new 1991 Ibanez RG760 which came yesterday, and a photo of my wall of black guitars smile.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 5 2016, 10:22 PM
WOW. Before we get to the debrief, let me share my sick amount of honest jealousy for the RG760. It's one of my "Buck List" guitars an I will have one before I die gosh darn it!!!! wink.gif Super congrats on adding that to the collection. Looks to be in MINT condition which is super rare. Don't sell that guitar under pain of death!!!

-----

On to the MISSION!!!

Soldier, I must say I'm Impressed. You are playing this lick smoothly, with very tight hand synch an a great palm mute. Every note is tight and staccato as it should be. Very clean and precise playing which is exactly what I'm looking for. Let's Debrief!!
Soldier you are kkilling it!! Keep up this momentum and you'll be reaching lesson 400 soon!

Let's Debrief!!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise control of pick and fretting
2.)Right and Left hand working in very good synch
3.)I can see you have put in the time in the woodshed!!!!

You are ripping through these Soldier!!! Keep it up!

Congrats Soldier you just ...

!!!LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 5 2016, 03:48 PM) *
Lesson 14 @150bpm. This one was a lot of fun smile.gif Playing the new 1991 Ibanez RG760 which came yesterday, and a photo of my wall of black guitars smile.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 5 2016, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 6 2016, 12:58 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd! Yeah, it's about as good as you could hope a 25 year old guitar would be, really happy with it. I do know of another RG760 which is on eBay now wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 7 2016, 05:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Todd, question about lesson 15... When are you supposed to economic pick? Anytime you change strings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2016, 11:16 AM
Good question! Yes, when you think it might improve the playability of the lick, or make it a bit easier, use two down or up strokes in a row. I didn't notate any pick strokes as I want everyone to explore it a bit to find where they get benefit from economic picking. I usually use econ when moving in a given direction. E.g Descending traverse strings (e.g. High E to B string) = double up strokes.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 7 2016, 12:39 PM) *
Todd, question about lesson 15... When are you supposed to economic pick? Anytime you change strings?

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 12 2016, 02:16 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, here's lesson 15 @100 bpm. I used the economic motion on the first string transition from the E to A string.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2016, 11:27 PM
Like a man on a Mission, like a moth to the flame, like a warrior to the front line, you continue to dive in and keep swinging!!!! smile.gif

Let's Debrief!!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Very tight right/left hand synchronization
2.)Zero extra string noise/killer palm mute
3.)Precise articulation of the pick during string traverse

Congrats Soldier you just ...

!!!LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

You continue to impress me Soldier!! These next lessons are going to get HAIRY. Don't worry, yoiu can handle it!!!! Also, think about adding in DOUBLE PICKING on as you go forward!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 11 2016, 09:16 PM) *
Ok, here's lesson 15 @100 bpm. I used the economic motion on the first string transition from the E to A string.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 13 2016, 01:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd! My thoughts on double picking thus far is that it actually makes the lessons easier. My left hand is slower than my right and it gives me more time to move my fingers. What do you think, focus more on the weakness or focus on the alternate picking?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2016, 03:58 AM
BOTH!!! smile.gif I"m not saying do one or the other, I'm suggesting running each mission in singles and doubles smile.gif Even in Triples and or Quads if you can manage it smile.gif It forces the picking hand to adapt in different ways depending on whats being played. So keep doing single alt picking, but add in a multi pick version of each lick as well smile.gif Dealers choice on which kind of multipicking smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 13 2016, 08:38 AM) *
Thanks Todd! My thoughts on double picking thus far is that it actually makes the lessons easier. My left hand is slower than my right and it gives me more time to move my fingers. What do you think, focus more on the weakness or focus on the alternate picking?

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 15 2016, 09:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 16, I forget what tempo I recorded these at because I changed it for the triple multipicking smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2016, 09:08 PM
Well Fought Soldier!!! Your MultiPicking is really starting to take off!!!! Let's Debrief.......

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)MULTIPICKING from Hell!
2.)Right/Left Hand Synch, also from Hell!
3.)Zero extra string noise, SOLID palm mute!

You are doing really well on these Soldier. Your technique is very solid and your picking is getting better by the day it seems! Keep pushing yourself and see how far you can go. Many folks get stumped by the Missions that are basically just "Create a solo against this backing" but I don't think you will have trouble with those. I've heard you doing solos smile.gif

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

!!LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 15 2016, 04:49 PM) *
Lesson 16, I forget what tempo I recorded these at because I changed it for the triple multipicking smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2016, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 23 2016, 02:34 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 17, funny last time I said the multipicking was "easier". Not so on this lesson, it was the other way around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 23 2016, 08:16 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!! I can tell from the Sheer Aggression that you are more than ready for the PATH OF BLOOD that is to come!!!! You are about to enter the land of the THIRD CHEVRON and it's a tough road but you are ready!!!!!!!

Let's Debrief.....

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Articulate playing! Very nice control of the pick while traversing strings.
2.)Right and left hand are in TIGHT synch. That takes WORK!!!! nice smile.gif
3.)MULTI PICKING!!! I couldn't be more proud of your MULTI PICKING WORK!!! Also, you keep a nice firm palm mute the entire

You are making GREAT progress Soldier!!!! Whatever you are doing it's working!! Keep it up!!!

In other words, you just......

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 23 2016, 08:21 AM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 23 2016, 01:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd! I really appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm smile.gif I've actually been feeling a bit discouraged with my playing lately. I've been struggling with a very basic bending lesson that Gabriel assigned to me. I've been practicing daily at GMC now for about two years and have been kind of disappointed in myself for struggling so much with something so fundamental. It makes the music I want to play seem so distant.

I think it's also compounded by a bit of guilt/poser/imposter syndrome. I just sold my old amp, Pod HD and a ton of other stuff and bought myself a Line 6 Helix. I couldn't be more excited about it, but I like to "earn" my gear and I have not been feeling worthy of such a glamorous item.

In good news though, I made a lot of progress on my studio rack smile.gif All the cuts and drilling is done, thanks for your feedback!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 24 2016, 02:13 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
One question about Lesson 18, are you looking for a complete composed solo? or do you just want me to turn the camera on and jam, like the Saturday Shredfest? I jammed on it for a while tonight and lots of decent ideas, but it'll take quite a bit to put a solo together a practice the whole thing. I don't think I've ever actually done that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 26 2016, 03:38 AM
Guilt is like a carrying a bag of bricks. You just got to sit it down sometimes smile.gif Buying new gear can often help motivate us to keep playing through a rough patch. I've found that a new guitar can often motivate me to write new bits in a new way just from the way it plays/sounds. So I'd say don't feel at all bad smile.gif New Gear is ALWAYS a good thing IMHO smile.gif Embrace the Happy!

Good to see your rack is coming along!! Keep us posted smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 23 2016, 08:56 AM) *
Thanks Todd! I really appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm smile.gif I've actually been feeling a bit discouraged with my playing lately. I've been struggling with a very basic bending lesson that Gabriel assigned to me. I've been practicing daily at GMC now for about two years and have been kind of disappointed in myself for struggling so much with something so fundamental. It makes the music I want to play seem so distant.

I think it's also compounded by a bit of guilt/poser/imposter syndrome. I just sold my old amp, Pod HD and a ton of other stuff and bought myself a Line 6 Helix. I couldn't be more excited about it, but I like to "earn" my gear and I have not been feeling worthy of such a glamorous item.

In good news though, I made a lot of progress on my studio rack smile.gif All the cuts and drilling is done, thanks for your feedback!

You can improve or plan it out, or do a bit of both. As long as you can use some of the licks/bits that you have learned so far in Missions you've completed. There have been wands of Minor Scale and Pentatonic licks to choose from. Try to review the licks you can remember and review some older lessons if needed, and make use of licks that we have learned so far to go in your solo. That's what I"m really looking for smile.gif Make sense?

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 23 2016, 09:13 PM) *
One question about Lesson 18, are you looking for a complete composed solo? or do you just want me to turn the camera on and jam, like the Saturday Shredfest? I jammed on it for a while tonight and lots of decent ideas, but it'll take quite a bit to put a solo together a practice the whole thing. I don't think I've ever actually done that.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 28 2016, 03:04 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd, here is my take on the Lesson 18 Improv. I did a few of those descending scales and noodled around a bit, some good, and plenty of mistakes. Got my rack assembled today, now for the finishing smile.gif

Edit 8/29: I should add that I don't really like my solo much. As I find is often a problem for me, I'm really just playing notes from a scale, that don't sound bad, and throwing in a few of the licks I know. There isn't much happening here that is truly intentional or musically expressive. Musically, I haven't gotten to the point where I'm actually expressing myself in a style that I would actually want to listen to. I'm not sure how to develop that other than to just keep making solos and improvising...

Attached Image

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 29 2016, 01:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:07 AM