What Guitar?, Small Hands
roggie13
Aug 2 2008, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
huh.gif Hi I was just wondering if anybody knows what is a good guitar for someone with small hands? I am just starting out ,been playing for about 3 months but have trouble with certain pull-offs and chords when I have to stretch from the 5 fret to the eight fret. I am using my index and my pinky finger but am still stretching to far to be comfortable. Is there a guitar with a smaller fret board? If so maybe someone can tell me what to buy, maybe a few names that are not to pricey after all I'm just starting out. I have a Ibanez right now that was about $450 it sounds pretty good so I would like the next one to sound about the same if not better. Any advice would be greatly appricieated....thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 2 2008, 11:30 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I think the distance between the fretboards on a eletric guitar doesn't change, usually the difference I see is between Fender Stratocaster an an Ibanez, which as a fretboard until 24 and fender until 21 if I'm not mistaken...That's the only thing I can say...if you keep practicing your muscles well develop and you'll get the grip of the streches sooner or later...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
John In Socal
Aug 2 2008, 11:32 PM
every stretch is going to feel uncomfortable or difficult at only 3 months playing. I have small hands too and when I started playing some things like some EVH pull off stuff in eruption and other stuff I thought for sure the music tabs I was looking at were typos, no way you could stretch like that. Now those don't seem difficult at all. To improve your stretch just practice doing the stretches, make it a small part of your daily routine and you will be surprised at how much more your fingers can stretch than you ever thought possible. I play a fender which is same scale as your ibanez. A gibson is a smaller scale guitar but only 3 months in I would not worry about getting another guitar at all, just keep practicing the stretches and work on technique, it will come with time.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 2 2008, 11:42 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Try a Les Paul, that could work for you (24 3/4" scale). Or a Fender Mustang which is shorter 24" scale.

Fender Strat and Ibanez (as far as I know) are 25 1/2"

EDIT:
and to develop this further for an understanding. The distance between fret 1 through 12 equals half of the scale length.

Meaning on a Les Paul 24 3/4" scale (628mm) you fit 12 frets on 314 mm
On a 25 1/2" scale (e.g Ibanez, Strat) (648) you fit 12 frets on 324 mm. Resulting in a further distance between the frets.

It has nothing to do with the number of frets you fit into a scale, may be 21, 24 or 32 the distance from fret 1 -> 12 is still half of the scale. The more frets you add only means it gets more crowded further down the neck towards the bridge.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 2 2008, 11:50 PM

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 2 2008, 11:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know there are some 3/4 scale guitars out there, but I would rather practice my stretching ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 3 2008, 12:47 AM
Learning Tone Master
There is no other way than constantly stretch you fingers and getting used to it. It takes some time until youre comfortable to play solos with your index on the 12th fret and the pinky on the 20th...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Oxac
Aug 3 2008, 12:31 PM
check out marty friedman. He's got small hands and adjusted to that. I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do that (with the right amount of practice)

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Duncan
Aug 3 2008, 12:36 PM
Michael Romeo has midget hands as well.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 3 2008, 12:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just practice, and when you are under twelve, it's normal to use a 3/4 guitar.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 4 2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Gibson guitars have this short scale, so this might be a help for you

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 4 2008, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 4 2008, 05:24 AM) *
Gibson guitars have this short scale, so this might be a help for you

I think a standard Gibson(such as a Les Paul) would not be a good choice, because although it has a shorter scale(and the frets may be closer togther for stretches) the necks are wider than something such as a Fender Strat and with small hands it would be more difficult to play(Such as notes on the 6th string(Low E). I own a Strat as well as an LP and I notice this, and I have normal size handes. As others suggested, you should probably spend more time trying to develop the skill, and then down the road maybe consider buying another guitar. You definitely don't want to be limited in your technique by the specific guitar you are playing at the time - you need to be able to stretch on pretty much any guitar that is in your hands.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 5 2008, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 2 2008, 06:42 PM) *
Try a Les Paul, that could work for you (24 3/4" scale). Or a Fender Mustang which is shorter 24" scale.

Fender Strat and Ibanez (as far as I know) are 25 1/2"

Telecasters are short scale too.

mmmm...Telecasters...

There's not a lot you can do with a full sized guitar to get smaller distances between the frets, really. Neck thickness and width can make a lot of difference and unfortunately that's something that really you have to just go out and play guitars to get a feel for it.

Small neck profiles are highlighted as a feature for Daisy Rock guitars. My first guitar was a Daisy Rock (long story...it's in the introduction forum somewhere). It's good quality, and feels good. Not all of them are overly girly either. They're worth a look, I think.

I started playing guitar late because I thought my hands were too small. With the Daisy Rock, it felt good, but I still had no reach up and down the neck. As I've been playing and practicing, my reach is getting wider and my hands are getting stronger. I'm playing an ESP Eclipse and an Ibanez Roadstar now too and they're more comfortable to me now. The big fat Les Paul necks are still too fat for me though.

The way I see it, there are certain things on the guitar that I'm not going to be able to do but it's not going to stop me from playing....I just need to stretch and be creative in how I do things that I can't reach.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2008, 09:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Not having read all replies, but only some, I too suggest sticking with a "regular" guitar. Don't take the easiest route. You will eventually learn to cope and stretch your hands and fingers properly. Of course how you position your thumb on the back of the neck could cause the problem. Try having it far down on the lower side of the neck, as that will give better access to the frets.

On a whole different note, I've heard of people being able to stretch from fret 1 to fret 8, while I am only comfortable with stretching from 1 to 5 or 6 at most. You don't need anymore though, as the notes are on the string below too. Otherwise you'll learn to move your hand and slide up and down the neck to eliminate this flaw.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 5 2008, 10:32 PM
Instructor
I've got small hands too. I got my Les Paul when i was 16 or something, and It was the first guitar i really felt comfortable with playing on, so i would recommend atleast trying one of those.

Nowadays i dont mind what scale the neck is, i still have small hands though smile.gif But i find playing on 25.5 scales just as easy, or even easier.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 5 2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor
I pointed this out in the "Ladies forum" awhile back but you could check out Luna Guitars.

As i stated in that post Luna guitars makes topnotch instruments but they cater heavily to female artists. The scale size is smaller and the nutwidth is generally smaller making it a much more compact playing surface.

They are beautiful guitars too with top of the line hardware.

Here is an example of one of their guitars, its definately worth checking out. I have had a chance to play on 1 and i can say its a solid guitar. The other benefit is how light they are as well.

http://www.lunaguitars.com/electricproduct/andrphoenix.php

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:19 AM