New Studio Monitors
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 3 2013, 09:18 AM
Instructor
Hey guys, I'm proud to present my new setup:

The Lexicon Alpha 2.0 I received from my bandmates on my birthday alongside my newly acquired Yamaha HS7 studio monitors. I went to a big music store here in Bucharest yesterday, alongside my good friend Alex, the bass player in Goodbye to Gravity - our brothers in arms. He is far more experienced than me in what regards studio work and choosing gear, so I thought it was a good idea.

Anyway, we listened to 3 pairs: the KRK Rokit 8, the Yamaha MSP5 and the Yamaha HS7 - oddly enough (I am saying that because it was the cheapest out of the 3), the last pair, actually the one I bought, sounded the best for rock music and such. The KRK and the MSP5 were somewhat having the high frequencies a bit too pronounced and they were feeling artificial in sound, in comparison with the HS7. So I went with the gut feeling and chose those.

The KRK, sounded best for electronic music. We used 3 albums, which are considered to be great productions, for the testing:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in time - I understood they had a budget of about 1 000 000 bucks to record this one... Pffff... laugh.gif
Queensryche - Empire
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a memory

Looking forward to start working on my new tools smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 3 2013, 09:19 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2013, 10:17 AM
GMC:er
Happy Bday Cos smile.gif Some great presents there to be sure!!! I like the yamaha speakers quite a bit. The NS10m was a standard speaker in studios all over the world for years and I"m very glad they finally tweaked the tweeters a bit and made the speakers much more balanced. Having your own studio setup at home is a real blessing.

It looks like you are ready to dive in to guitar sims and plugins!!!!! It's a wonderful thing smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 3 2013, 04:18 AM) *
Hey guys, I'm proud to present my new setup:

The Lexicon Alpha 2.0 I received from my bandmates on my birthday alongside my newly acquired Yamaha HS7 studio monitors. I went to a big music store here in Bucharest yesterday, alongside my good friend Alex, the bass player in Goodbye to Gravity - our brothers in arms. He is far more experienced than me in what regards studio work and choosing gear, so I thought it was a good idea.

Anyway, we listened to 3 pairs: the KRK Rokit 8, the Yamaha MSP5 and the Yamaha HS7 - oddly enough (I am saying that because it was the cheapest out of the 3), the last pair, actually the one I bought, sounded the best for rock music and such. The KRK and the MSP5 were somewhat having the high frequencies a bit too pronounced and they were feeling artificial in sound, in comparison with the HS7. So I went with the gut feeling and chose those.

The KRK, sounded best for electronic music. We used 3 albums, which are considered to be great productions, for the testing:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in time - I understood they had a budget of about 1 000 000 bucks to record this one... Pffff... laugh.gif
Queensryche - Empire
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a memory

Looking forward to start working on my new tools smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 3 2013, 12:29 PM
Learning Tone Master

Congrats for acquisition!!!
I don't know how sound Yamaha HS7 but I'm very curious.

When I went to buy my studio monitors I spend 2 hours in store and I tried: Yamaha HS50, Genelec, Yamaha MSP5, Dynaudio.
The ones I liked the most was Dynaudio but too expensive and over my budget.
Finally I bought Yamaha MSP5 because I wanted to have high and medium frequencies warmer smile.gif HS50 have clogged bass and Genelec have bass too strong. I tried all the speakers with songs from different styles to make a complete idea. The final test was with a song of mine that had raindrops in backing. I wanted to hear every drop perfectly and so I decided to purchase them. I am very happy with them but to be perfect I would have to buy a separate saboufer because rock music sound a little soft smile.gif
Also for fine details (for working in midnight) I bought AKG K240 MKII headphones.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 3 2013, 01:30 PM
Instructor
I choose Adam because of bright and eqal tone in the midddle and high range of frequencies because most of modern popular music is very scooped and I decided to trust them most. Had to learn them like any other monitors because nice and warm mixes were sounding to muddy on traditional home speakers. I still own Yamaha NS but they added some extra dB ins the 3 - 6 kHz and I found I was removing too much of those freq in my mixes because of the harsy sound of NS series.

I hope You'll get familiar with Yours and they will help You to bring Your work on the next level biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 4 2013, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Thank you very much guys! These are actually my first professional studio monitors and out of what I understood, it will take a bit until I will really get acquainted with them.

Next in line, as an investment, is a pair of personalized in ear monitors - my receiver and old in ear monitors were stolen at a gig 2 months ago. I almost forgot to tell you this story, but I'll take care of it in another post. Anyway, I am working with a local manufacturer, for a custom built set of in ear monitors, which will be made after my own inner ear and they will feature 3 separate channels/ ear.

If you want to see some tech specs - take a look over this link, even thought it's in Romanian, you might get some of the stuff: http://www.ultimatesound.ro/monitoare-in-ear-3d/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:25 AM