Aborted - 1349 - Necrophagist - Suffocation - Carcass, NYC Sept 6th
fatb0t
Sep 8 2008, 07:14 PM
GMC:er
So I went to Nokia theatre in NYC to see a pretty serious Death Metal show...here's my review.

Aborted - I wish they aborted playing. They didn't sound check, the lead singer looks like he has some sort of spastic jerk. The guitarist was decent at rhythm - he tried to solo and do taps and stuff...I kinda felt bad for the dude, but then I remembered he was on stage and not me - so he was horrendous.

1349 - My friend LOVED this band, I'm not a big black metal guy so I don't think I could give an accurate description or opinion on them. They wore extremely cheesy face make up, blasted power chords at lke 165 bpm and yelled inaudiable foreign language lyrics. One cool thing the singer did do was make his voice sound like wind, which was pretty bad ass.

Necrophagist - One word - WOW. Just, like, AMAZING. Just the most amazingly technical thing ever. Unbelieveable sweeps, tapping, legato technique. You name it, both guitarists in this band had it - they were top notch. Not only that - they bassist had a six or maybe even seven string bass and the drummer sounded like a machine (in a really consistant type of way). Their rhythm didn't do anything for me, I couldn't find a groove or head bang or anyhting - but just technically stunning.

Suffocation - they were INSANE. Just literally insane, the lead singer was hilarious. He told several amusing stories about Wal Mart and how awesome it is because you can buy a shot gun at 4am and blow your brians out. He was too funny. They were really very serious, they're from NY too - so they had a large crowd there, lots of friends too.

Carcass - Um, they were insanely tight. Michael Amott was pretty good, but the other guitarist Bill Steer was REMARKABLE. Insanely tight band, really just awesome. Vocals from Jeff Walker were CD like - I mean, this live performance was TOP NOTCH. You could tell they really rehearsed - sound checked, had it all together. If you guys don't know about Carcass I suggest you give them a listen..all of their cds are phenominal. The rhythm work and solo techniques these guys posses, and posessed YEARS ago is amazing. I was dumbfounded by their performance, cannot say enough about them. If you have a chance to see them - DO IT. This is Michaels best band in my opinion - it owns Arch Enemy and Spiritual Beggars combined.

Hopefully they will release a new CD!

on a side note, lots of hot chicks at this show! Usually there aren't many girls at metal shows =(

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 8 2008, 07:20 PM
I hate you lol. That is an insane lineup. Although I'm going to see Carcass, Cathedral, My Dying Bride and Napalm Death soon. Yippee.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 8 2008, 07:28 PM
Carcass will blow your mind. I mean - I really liked Carcass before this show, walking out of that venue - I LOVE them. The music is just amazing to me.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 8 2008, 07:36 PM
I love Carcass and have never seen them. But that will change come November smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Mark.
Sep 8 2008, 07:37 PM
Wish I had seen Necrophagist, they are awsome ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 9 2008, 06:49 PM
Instructor
That is great man. I don't like to listen to metal at home, but going to a concert is always a great experience, never mind the type of music. Bands always sound better live

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 14 2008, 01:26 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Just saw this show down here, these guys were headlining the death fest, And man it was awesome. Aborted put on a fantastic show, and the guitarist did a great job on all his solo's when I saw them. Necrophagist was AMAZING, 1349 was one of the best as well, Suffocation were just amazing to see live, and CARCASS.....OH MY GOD, Perfect performance!

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Sep 14 2008, 03:32 PM
I wonder if the guys from 1349 might have been Norwegian or have Norwegian ancestors? You see, the Black Death reached Norway in 1349, so maybe they are referring to that.

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 14 2008, 03:53 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
They are Norwegian, There from Oslo actually, And they didnt even show themselves untill there concert started, So it was very "mystic" if you will laugh.gif

+Quote Post
steiner666
Oct 21 2008, 11:55 PM
so yeah... a couple months ago I was debating whether or not to spend a bunch of money on getting tickets and driving about 400 miles to this show (plus costs of hotel and booze). I've never seen them live, but I really love Carcass... i mean REALLY love them. After reading this and Uncreator's review, I'm pretty confident I made the WRONG decision spending my money on stupid things like bills and food.

Why couldn't they have more shows?! I mean Opeth and CoB and other bands I really like are always stopping by Cleveland and Pittsburgh and other places that are a reasonable distance from me for shows... but then the legendary Carcass decides to do a US reunion tour and not perform anywhere near me?! It's like they toured in cities near the east and west coasts and nothing else... what where they touring in? A BOAT?! UGH!

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 22 2008, 12:11 AM
Instructor
I used to love Carcass. What a powerful band. Nice review

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 22 2008, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Sep 14 2008, 04:32 PM) *
I wonder if the guys from 1349 might have been Norwegian or have Norwegian ancestors? You see, the Black Death reached Norway in 1349, so maybe they are referring to that.

Yeah they are norweigian and that's what the name is refering to.

Show seems like it was cool, I'd really love to see 1349

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 22 2008, 03:41 AM
Instructor
yes!! carcass rules!!! they´ll arrive to buenos aires in a few weeks I think so

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Oct 22 2008, 01:29 PM
1349 was here in Tønsberg, and my dad arranged that show, so i actually sat down talking to every one of them biggrin.gif *bragbragbrag* biggrin.gif

Actually, even though they're black metal an brutal and stuff, the were really nice guys biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
steiner666
Oct 29 2008, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Oct 22 2008, 08:29 AM) *
1349 was here in Tønsberg, and my dad arranged that show, so i actually sat down talking to every one of them biggrin.gif *bragbragbrag* biggrin.gif

Actually, even though they're black metal an brutal and stuff, the were really nice guys biggrin.gif

yeah thats how it usually goes. seems like the musicians that have really unpleasant personalities are usually those of a rock/pop sort of fame.

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:56 AM