How Long Did It Take You?
Manny
Jul 11 2007, 09:45 AM
GMC:er
how long did it take you to learn to shred?
im trying to learn to shred the pentatonic boxes, but my left hand refuses to keep up with my picking hand...

i think this means i need to keep practicing!!
yeah

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 10:02 AM
Instructor
Shred doesn't mean being able to play 1 scale up and down at 400BPM but not being able to play another scale or pattern. Shredder means a guitar player who mastered all major techniques like AP, sweeping, tapping, legato, etc., and use them to build very technical music in sense of fast runs, difficult patterns, huge combinations of different techniques.

So basically to be able to shred you must have good coordination between scales, being able to improvise on high speeds using different techniques.

So, let's see - it took me almost 5 years to get to "shred" level i am at right now! smile.gif

Btw. pentatonics are awesome for shred if you use 3 notes per string pentatonic scales. That means huge stretches but you can go everywhere with that! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jul 11 2007, 10:04 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 11 2007, 10:41 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 11 2007, 03:02 AM) *
Shred doesn't mean being able to play 1 scale up and down at 400BPM but not being able to play another scale or pattern. Shredder means a guitar player who mastered all major techniques like AP, sweeping, tapping, legato, etc., and use them to build very technical music in sense of fast runs, difficult patterns, huge combinations of different techniques.

So basically to be able to shred you must have good coordination between scales, being able to improvise on high speeds using different techniques.

So, let's see - it took me almost 5 years to get to "shred" level i am at right now! smile.gif

Btw. pentatonics are awesome for shred if you use 3 notes per string pentatonic scales. That means huge stretches but you can go everywhere with that! smile.gif

Pavel, what are your current goals as a guitar player? just curious.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 11 2007, 10:57 AM
QUOTE (Manny @ Jul 11 2007, 12:45 PM) *
how long did it take you to learn to shred?
im trying to learn to shred the pentatonic boxes, but my left hand refuses to keep up with my picking hand...

i think this means i need to keep practicing!!
yeah

I was gonna ask the same question.... Sadly i still cant shred fast and i still have the same problem.

What exactly do i need to practice?
-Alt pickin
-Leagato
-Penatonics

Still not helping im stuck!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 11 2007, 11:00 AM
Master all of Pavel's lessons tongue.gif that might be a good start, and it might take a while too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 11 2007, 11:15 AM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 11 2007, 02:00 PM) *
Master all of Pavel's lessons tongue.gif that might be a good start, and it might take a while too.

Yeah seriously i can sorta play legatos fast....

If it wasnt for pavel id still be a power chord noob

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 11:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 11 2007, 11:41 AM) *
Pavel, what are your current goals as a guitar player? just curious.

First of all - master as many techniques as i can, be a REAL shredder - something like Rusty (primary goal), in the meantime i want to write a couple of compositions with orchestral arrangements (like Luca Turilli) - i have lot's of ideas and i tabbed a lot already but don't have enough time to do all i want. Than i want to record an album and try to get on stage with my own stuff! smile.gif My musical goals are to find a good combination of shred stuff like Rusty does and symphonic stuff like Rhapsody!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Speedeh
Jul 11 2007, 05:04 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 11 2007, 11:36 AM) *
First of all - master as many techniques as i can, be a REAL shredder - something like Rusty (primary goal), in the meantime i want to write a couple of compositions with orchestral arrangements (like Luca Turilli) - i have lot's of ideas and i tabbed a lot already but don't have enough time to do all i want. Than i want to record an album and try to get on stage with my own stuff! :) My musical goals are to find a good combination of shred stuff like Rusty does and symphonic stuff like Rhapsody!

You've definitely got the ability to be able to do that. If you're ever in the U.S., let us know. I'd probably be able to get you a show at a local opera house here.

As far as shredding, I only started playing in January and I feel I've improved a lot. I still can't play most of the lessons up to speed, but I work hard on improving my technique every day. It's hard for me to see myself as being a total shredder in the future, but I know it's a long process. Besides, I have Guitar Hero for that instant rock star gratification :D

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 11 2007, 05:10 PM
Guitar Hero? Really?

I cant stand guitar hero, every time i play it at my cousin's house i just say to myself, why am i wasting my time on a stupid game when i could be playing this on a real guitar? and its at that point that i go to my cousins room and hijack his guitar and amp for a while tongue.gif

P.S: I stink at guitar hero tongue.gif

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
Speedeh
Jul 11 2007, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 11 2007, 05:10 PM) *
Guitar Hero? Really?

I cant stand guitar hero, every time i play it at my cousin's house i just say to myself, why am i wasting my time on a stupid game when i could be playing this on a real guitar? and its at that point that i go to my cousins room and hijack his guitar and amp for a while tongue.gif

P.S: I stink at guitar hero tongue.gif

haha, don't get me wrong. I consider GH a game of rhythm more than actual guitar practice. In fact I think it's closer to playing the piano than anything. But it's nice to be able to struggle on sweep picking or speed picking for a few hours, then fire up Guitar Hero and instantly feel like a rock star. Plus you don't have to worry about keeping other strings muted blink.gif

+Quote Post
Manny
Jul 11 2007, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 11 2007, 10:02 AM) *

i play bass, so im used to those stretches

4 frets on a bass is like 6 on a guitar!
=]
score 1 for the bass player, haha

+Quote Post
davaflava
Jul 12 2007, 06:20 AM
Pavel, how old are you, and when did you start? And how long did you practice? I am 16 now playing for about 4 months and I want to get up to the level ur at.

In a sense your my role model biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

Ain't that a Beaut?!?!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 12 2007, 11:19 AM
Instructor
Started electric at 15, now i am almost 20 (3 more months to 20). Practiced REALLY A LOT - about 6 hours a day, sometimes more. Thank God yesterday i passed the exam and now i am free to the end of the summer - will be just playing guitar!! smile.gif

Wow, that's cool - i am somebody's guitar goal biggrin.gif Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 12 2007, 12:20 PM
Hey you are mine as well, and so are all the instructors here at GMC. Don't ever close this site Kris!!! I plan to stay here a long long time.

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 01:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 12 2007, 07:20 AM) *
Hey you are mine as well, and so are all the instructors here at GMC.

And you made me get a Jem, not Steve Vai smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 12 2007, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 12 2007, 08:43 AM) *
And you made me get a Jem, not Steve Vai smile.gif

Thoase Jems are too nice but the last one I saw went for over a thousand in musicians friend.

Someday I'll play one sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
AliMo
Jul 12 2007, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 12 2007, 05:19 AM) *
Wow, that's cool - i am somebody's guitar goal biggrin.gif Thanks!

pavel ur skill is not only my goal to reach but you and gabriels lessons are the reason i stopped coming to this site and watching the lick of the day and free videos and finally decided to become a member biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:38 PM