> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Richmclean's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2015, 09:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Rich! This is your thread for Gab's Army. The initial idea here is to share your answers for Ear Training Workout.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 11 2015, 01:27 AM
GMC:er
00:00
perfect 5th
00:09
major 3rd
00:16
perfect 5th
00:23
octave
00:29
major 3rd
00:35
perfect 5th
00:43
perfect 5th
00:50
octave
00:56
octave
01:03
major 3rd
01:10
octave
01:18
major 3rd
01:24
major 3rd
01:31
perfect 5th
01:38
octave
01:44
octave
01:51
major 3rd
01:58
perfect 5th
02:05
major 3rd
02:12
perfect 5th
02:20
octave

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 12 2015, 06:15 PM
Instructor
Great job Rich! Everything is correct!

What are you currently working besides the ear training workout?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 14 2015, 02:48 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 12 2015, 05:15 PM) *
Great job Rich! Everything is correct!

What are you currently working besides the ear training workout?

I've been working on your blues licks videos. I am not a big blues fan but I like the blues within rock and I thought I would try the basics before getting back to more rock guitar. I was a huge Randy Rhodes fan and tend to enjoy more 80s and 90s metal and rock based stuff. I'm very interested in song structure and music theory and have a fairly good understanding of the minor pentatonic and diatonic scale over the whole fretboard but struggle when trying to switch to major scales other than mixing in major notes in a minor scale.

Thank you for your time and advice.

This post has been edited by richmclean: Apr 14 2015, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 16 2015, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Rich, that's a great plan!

If you want to play that style (inspired by Randy), you'll been to master Pentatonics, Minor scales, modes, but also a lot of technique. Starting with blues is a clever decision since that kind of hard rock / heavy metal has a strong influence from blues players.

In order to make your practice effective you should create weekly routines with specific goals for each week. For example, let's say that the first week you have the following goals:

- Learning blues scale on 5 shapes and being able to improvise with it over some backing tracks.
- Learning 5 blues licks.
- Improving alternate picking, vibrato and bending.

Based on these goals, you should create a routine that covers each of those topics, and you can use GMC lessons for it:

Your routine could look like this:

Warming up

Technique work

- Alternate picking practice
- Vibrato
- Bending

Blues licks

- Working on GMC blues lesson
- Create variations of the licks and try them over the backing.

Scale work

- Learning blues scale. Learn 1 shape each day of the week and practice it over some backing tracks. Start playing the scale up and down, then sequences, then random notes, and finally try to create phrases.
- Record your improvisation, listen to it and analyze what's happening.

That's what I'd call and effective plan for a week. What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richgrafx
Apr 17 2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks Gab, that sounds like a great plan. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise. I will work on the routine and I'll post some work in progress mp3s. I'm trying to get good at improvising playing rhythm and solos.

Thank you and I hope you have a good day and weekend.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 17 2015, 03:12 PM
Instructor
Great! Nice to know that this helps. Feel free to use this thread to post the exercises and lessons that you decide to work to let me give feedback or other possible suggestions. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 20 2015, 03:30 PM
Hi Gab,

ear assignment 2
1 major 3rd
2 major 6th
3 octave
4 perfect 5th
5 2nd
6 major 7th
7 major 6th
8 2nd
9 unison
10 perfect 4th
11 octave
12 major 3rd
13 major 7th
14 perfect 4th
15 perfect 5th

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2015, 09:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Rich! Perfect! Great job! Was it difficult?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 21 2015, 08:12 PM
It is not easy for me. Working on my ear is something I tried in the past but did not have much success with and I did not stick with it. I have to use my guitar to figure out the intervals when doing your lessons.

I have been trying to improve my alternate picking. If you have any exercise recommendations please let me know. Crazy me started working on your Andy James lesson and I must have played the 16th note lick around 200 times. My speed picking is improving some from doing this but I come no where close to the 190 bps that your lesson is done at.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2015, 11:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Rich, do you have any video of you playing alternate picking to let me see where you are now and what things you should work?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 22 2015, 01:02 AM
Hi Gab,
I do not currently have any videos but I will get one made and share with it you. As always, Thank you very much for your time and effort.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2015, 01:07 AM
Instructor
Great! It will be necessary to design a practice plan. Thank you.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 27 2015, 01:34 AM
Hi Gab,
I hope you had a good weekend. I've uploaded a video of my current attempt at your Andy James Style lesson. It is around 165 bpm and not your blazing 190 bpm. I'm working hard on my alternate picking technique and any suggestions are much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/c/richmclean

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2015, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Rich! Great to see you working hard on this one! I notice that you have problems with speed, and mostly when it's fast alternate picking. How to work on this?

Well, I worked on alternate picking mostly practicing repetitive exercises that cover the different mechanics required to play alternate picking and crossing string smoothly. I recommend you to check my intensive technique course where I shared my favorite exercises, and if you want my help to design some routines to take your alternate picking to the next level, here I am. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 28 2015, 11:35 PM
Hi Gab,
Thank you for the critique and suggestion. I will work through your recommended lesson plan. Thank you very much for your time.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2015, 11:07 PM
Instructor
Ok, please keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
richmclean
Apr 30 2015, 02:03 AM
Getting trickier. I guess your guitar was tuned down a half step. Took me a while to figure out the low Eb. This is really helping me.

1 major 3rd
2 perfect 5th
3 major 3rd
4 octave
5 major 3rd
6 perfect 5th
7 octave
8 major 3rd
9 perfect 5th
10 major 3rd

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2015, 03:03 PM
Instructor
hehehe yeah, it was my trick. biggrin.gif

However, you did a perfect job, well done Rich.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:37 AM