> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Satriani Made Easy - Ballad, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

oscargt
Nov 6 2019, 05:20 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Original lesson: Satriani Made Easy - Ballad by Ben Higgins

Here's my REC for this lesson, which I really liked a lot. I had no problems recording audio, but had to do many video takes to get one without a glitch, or the less possible. Hopefully this is good enough. I tried to be one time, per your advise on previous REC. I know I have to do more alt picking. I promise my next lesson will. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Begginer at GMC, passionate for music and guitar
Guitars: Ibanez JS1200 LH Red, Ibanez RG470 LH Blue
Multi Effects Zoom G5
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2019, 10:00 PM
GMC:er

Super job learning this entire piece and giving it a good deal of emotion and feeling on playback. It's sometimes easy to forget that putting some soul in to the playing is the key to making it enjoyable for this listener. Your playing is very listenable and isn't sterile or plain. Nicely done there!!
I would say one thing you might improve a bit is how you are doing your vibrato. Your technique is good but it could use a pinch of refinement. Good vibrato in a ballad often starts with just the note fretted, then starts to increase the vibrato and then decrease a bit before moving to the next note. This creates a dynamic emotional sense in the piece. It's a subtle difference but worth looking in to. When you watch Bens vid, notice how, on the vibrato notes, he starts just fretting the note with no vibrato then adds it it an increases then decreases before moving on to the next note. This one thing will take your playing to the next level.

As for this one, you've got it down and I'd say you are ready for the next challenge!!! Speaking of challenges, feel free to join me in SHRED BOOTCAMP and or QUICK LICKS (new quick lick every Saturday in my forum thread. Solid 8 from me!!!
Todd
QUOTE (oscargt @ Nov 6 2019, 12:20 AM) *
Original lesson: Satriani Made Easy - Ballad by Ben Higgins

Here's my REC for this lesson, which I really liked a lot. I had no problems recording audio, but had to do many video takes to get one without a glitch, or the less possible. Hopefully this is good enough. I tried to be one time, per your advise on previous REC. I know I have to do more alt picking. I promise my next lesson will. Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2019, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam!

This is a very cool lesson for you since it requires a good control of vibrato and that's an element that you definitely need to continue working. I see that you are doing a big effort to make it wide and consistent but it's irregular. Sometimes I notice that you start the (vibrato) movement from your fingers and that makes the things more difficult. Always remember that it should start from your wrist.

Also, remember to use the other fingers to help the one that is pressing the fret board. This will give you more strength and control.

Besides this, you can also put some focus on timing, and polish a bit your tone by working on EQ and maybe trying different guitar pick ups to make it sound warmer.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 13 2019, 09:09 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

This lesson is simple yet beautiful. Main focus should be given to timing and vibrato.
Look at Ben's original take. Essentially what he does is to first hit the note and keep it straight for a very short moment. Then he adds and even vibration that is synchronised to song pulse. In this case he adds a 8th note pulsing. It is very important for you to exactly copy this behavior. There's is not much to be done in this lesson besides this so it is really important to capture all these little details. They really do matter smile.gif They give Ben's take the flow and consistency. Try to get even better on this. I'm sure you can, you just didn't realize how important that is smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 18 2019, 03:04 PM
GMC Founder
Well done Oscar,

I am just going to chime in with some specific advice on vibrato, I made a video for you:

Keep up the good work, you get an 8 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2019, 05:28 PM
GMC:er
This is a GREAT video about Vibrato. I'm going to ask FRAN to put it in the wiki! This type of question is something every new player has to work through.

Todd

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 18 2019, 10:04 AM) *
Well done Oscar,

I am just going to chime in with some specific advice on vibrato, I made a video for you:

Keep up the good work, you get an 8 from me!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 19 2019, 10:35 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:37 PM