> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Jazz Fusion Enclosures, Lesson By Stephane Lucarelli
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Beat Zbinden
Sep 11 2015, 02:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Jazz Fusion Enclosures by Stephane Lucarelli

I have started with this lesson in the GMC Borderline Group. For me this is a very difficult lesson !! Until now I have never played anything from the jazz fusion ! This is not the music that I listen to ........ Slowly it begins that i like it!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 12 2015, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Hi Beat, this is good but I know that you will be able to improve upon this.

This take is like hearing a rock player doing jazz so your goal is to make it sound less stark and more smooth.

Firstly, your tone has too much 'twang' to it - it's very metallic. You need to round it off somehow, either by selecting a different preset or backing off the treble, trying another pickup position.

You might want to add some mini sweeps, or what we call 'economy picking' to some of those licks to make them flow from string to string. At the moment, I can hear you picking every note very strongly but if you follow Stephane and use economy for the string crossing, it adds an element of smoothness.

Try to be less dramatic on the string bends and don't bend them twice in a vibrato way... it's too Paul Gilbert - you want more fusion, ok?

Good work, keep it going!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 12 2015, 11:28 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 14 2015, 01:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Stephane! Great to see you working on this lesson again!

I think that Ben's comments are very precise. Focusing on this three details: tone, bending, dynamics, could take your playing to a new dimension and explore more Stephane's fusion style even more.

It wasn't the main purpose of the previous program to do it, it was more based on learning the improvisation concept, but at this stage I think that you could get a lot by exploring this ideas, since I feel that the three things can bring new cool stuff into your own playing. Even being a rock player, having a good control of dynamics, being able to play different kind of bends and using warmer tones is totally welcome, don't you think so?

Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 15 2015, 07:03 PM
Instructor
Hey Beat! Hardworking as usual wink.gif

I hoep you don't mind me tellign this but you were always one of the best students who were able to deliver descent tone and high quality takes. Most of the videos I remember had a quite good tone match but something is worong with this one. It has too much of harsh frequencies - those that most guitar microphones boosts - 4-6 kHz. Try to tweak this range (natural mic boost is around 5-60 db..maybe worth cutting similar amount. I'm sure you're able to fix this as long as you're not the one to have tone issues usually smile.gif

The difference between brightened tone of humbucker vs bright tone of single coil is that a single coil can still be very warm and bright while playing soft. With humbucker there is too much treble boost to be done so it could get that characteristic bite like single coil. So it can become harsh. As I remember Ibanez had those 5-way switches "trick" in H-H guitars. One of positions was neck pickup split. Of course I'm just guessing and my thougths are based on the switch position I saw on the video - might be wrong due to cam angle or something. Jus saying it's worth checking smile.gif

As for the playing you say it's something new to you so it will take some time to start to feel relaxed in this new mood. For now we have one bend that is out of pitch and a few notes that lost due do inproper fingers pressure or right-left hand sync. A few spots of unwanted noises can be detected as well. But...most of the take is quite nice and it's a very good basis to fix some details.

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 16 2015, 05:49 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:23 PM