Looking For New Amp., Blues to Blowtorch
Toroso
Aug 31 2008, 12:28 PM
GMC:er
Hey all, Like it sez I am looking for a new amp. Not much interested in clean tones although that may change. Want something that will do ZZ Top style dirty blues to full on metal meltdown. I have a 4x12 so a head is preferred although a combo will do as long as there is an external speaker. (yeah, I know, that can be worked around cool.gif ) So tube or SS or hybrid, don't care as long as I like the sound.

Also, watts. I do not need massive amounts of volume (love my hearing too much). Heads rarely go below 50W so I am wondering if a hi watt amp will sound good at lower volumes like I want. This is just for me, no live performance or anything.

Anyone know anything about the Krank amps? Rev Jr in particular.

Recommend me some amps to look at. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2008, 01:28 PM
Instructor
You need a tube head that has s class switch mode, so you can put it on 5 or 10W of power when at home, and use it as a 50Watter at gigs/rehearsals. Now digital effects, just plain ol' head will be nice. I don't know if ENGL has those switches, but Fireball and Powerball are very nice heads for the price, quite simple and straightforward, and sound is very good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 31 2008, 01:57 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Have you seen the Blackheart Killer ant in action?
0,25 watts!! ohmy.gif http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZsFWO_0IE&...feature=related

Add a nice Overdrive pedal infront of the amp if you need more.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 31 2008, 02:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Marshall JVM205 head is all you need! 50 watt all tube, MARSHALL !!!, from clean over crunch and overdrive to full blown distortion all in one head.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 31 2008, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 31 2008, 08:28 AM) *
You need a tube head that has s class switch mode, so you can put it on 5 or 10W of power when at home, and use it as a 50Watter at gigs/rehearsals. Now digital effects, just plain ol' head will be nice. I don't know if ENGL has those switches, but Fireball and Powerball are very nice heads for the price, quite simple and straightforward, and sound is very good.

I will look at those. But I am only looking for home and recording use.

Now digital effects, just plain ol' head will be nice.

I'm not sure how you intended this here. Now? New? ??? Digital effects are all the rage now, but, as much as I like my L6 gear, I can hear digital artifacting at times. The only thing I might want in it is a spring reverb. Do they even do that in heads?

QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 31 2008, 08:57 AM) *
Have you seen the Blackheart Killer ant in action?
0,25 watts!! ohmy.gif http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZsFWO_0IE&...feature=related

Add a nice Overdrive pedal infront of the amp if you need more.

Hmmm sweet sound, but sounds like a single gain stage. I would like a little more... well you know. wink.gif

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 31 2008, 09:14 AM) *
Marshall JVM205 head is all you need! 50 watt all tube, MARSHALL !!!, from clean over crunch and overdrive to full blown distortion all in one head.

Ah! But you bought a Randall for a bedroom metal amp I see. Is this Marshall the one you are selling. tongue.gif

Just poking fun. No worries.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 31 2008, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 31 2008, 09:14 AM) *

Looks very nice but a little more than I wish to spend for a home only amp. Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 31 2008, 07:50 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
If you plan on buying a head then you definitely have to find a way to keep the volume under control, because a "normal" head is ment to be played loud, too loud for your bedroom. Of course you can adjust the volume but when you try to play those amps at a low volume they just don't sound good anymore.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 31 2008, 08:24 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 31 2008, 02:50 PM) *
If you plan on buying a head then you definitely have to find a way to keep the volume under control, because a "normal" head is ment to be played loud, too loud for your bedroom. Of course you can adjust the volume but when you try to play those amps at a low volume they just don't sound good anymore.

That was exactly my fear Marcus. I was looking for a head merely because I already have a 4x. Now I am thinking a combo will suit my needs. The Peavey Bandit 112 is one I am looking at, but it is still 80w.

External speaker, effects loop, no built in effects other than reverb and good distortion from the amp alone is what I want. Tall order huh? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 1 2008, 08:09 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I have to say that I don't know that Peavy amp, but 80 Watts doesn't really sound like a bedroom amp to me.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 1 2008, 10:48 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 1 2008, 09:09 PM) *
I have to say that I don't know that Peavy amp, but 80 Watts doesn't really sound like a bedroom amp to me.

I've got a 50w tube amp, and that's not even a bedroom amp biggrin.gif
Man, you can probably blow a hole in your wall with 80w smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toroso
Sep 1 2008, 10:51 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 1 2008, 03:09 PM) *

Oh, I know. tongue.gif Just having trouble finding what I want.

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 1 2008, 05:48 PM) *
I've got a 50w tube amp, and that's not even a bedroom amp biggrin.gif
Man, you can probably blow a hole in your wall with 80w smile.gif

Ha ha! ohmy.gif No doubt

My issue with volume is not with neighbors, I am lucky enough to not have a problem there. (actually not lucky, I worked hard for it) I just do not want to blow my hearing trying to get good distortion tone.

This afternoon I have been looking at youtube videos of the Krank Rev Jr Pro. Except for reverb, it seems to be what I am looking for. Anyone have any experience with Krank?

This post has been edited by Toroso: Sep 1 2008, 10:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
inertia
Sep 2 2008, 12:41 AM
if you want tube you can always buy an attenuator, they are usually like $300 USD though, and it sounds like you don't want to spend too much...If you want metal you may want to look at the new vox xtl series, they have a couple of clean channels but mostly metal amps
If I were you I would buy a small tube amp combo or head and use a pedal in front to get the distortion, because you will sacrifice quality getting a hybrid or solid state imo

+Quote Post
Toroso
Sep 2 2008, 02:53 AM
QUOTE (inertia @ Sep 1 2008, 07:41 PM) *
if you want tube you can always buy an attenuator, they are usually like $300 USD though, and it sounds like you don't want to spend too much...If you want metal you may want to look at the new vox xtl series, they have a couple of clean channels but mostly metal amps
If I were you I would buy a small tube amp combo or head and use a pedal in front to get the distortion, because you will sacrifice quality getting a hybrid or solid state imo

I don't have any experience with attenuators, but from what I have heard, they suck tone and I don't want that. I'm not turning anything up on Vox xtl, did you mean XL? As far as spendng cash, I will buy what I want, it's just finding what I want. cool.gif The Krank Rev Jr Pro is looking good right now, 20W. The Blackheart MickeM suggested is also interesting, but requires a pedal. Or, since I have the parts laying around, I could take another stab at building an amp. AX84 has a design for a 2W October Studio amp. It is somewhat classic. But with a hi gain preamp like the HeavyWatter from ThunderTweak, and the 2W power section, it just might work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 2 2008, 01:07 PM
Instructor
If you're looking for a bedroom all-tuber, 5W is quite enough. Search for that. Again I say, some tube amps have built in switches to go from hi power to lo power mode, and I must say this kind of purchase is a very practical one. Tomorrow, who knows, maybe you will start doing some rehearsals or you will need that extra power, it is highly possible - so it is best to buy the good stuff right away.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:29 AM