2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Paiva's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Sep 4 2009, 06:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Paiva!

This is place where I will give you assignments and upload videos. You will do the same starting tonight. Bookmark it, subscribe to it as it will be easier to follow when I post new things in!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 4 2009, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
Ok cool Pejda can't wait wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 4 2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor
Lets get started Paiva!

Your guitar CV was very specific. You stated your intention was to improve your improvisation (especially over hard chord progressions), improve your harmony knowledge as well as rhythm (phrasing).

For your 1st assignment I have decided to ask you to analyze Jazz standard Blue Bossa.

Here is your 1st assignment :

- Analyze Jazz standard Blue Bossa.
- I expect to see where change of key happens as well as II V I.
- If there are cadences in specific sections, please indicate them (like turnarounds or modal cadence).
- Once you are done with this, we will proceed to 2nd assignment which will be improvising approaches available over this same tune.
- You can submit this via text but I would like you to do this in guitar pro and write all the notes using notes section!

Time limit for your 1st assignment is week from today (12th of September)!

Here is Kenny Durham's lead sheet version. Don't worry about the intro, focus only from A section to the end!

Let me know if you have any questions, I am here to help always smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Sep 4 2009, 11:42 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 5 2009, 12:19 AM
Hey Pedja! Cool assignment!

What I can tell by quickly looking at it and I don't really know what do really want from this but here we go!

Starts of with Cminor doing this cadence that If I consider Cminor as the tonal center it would be like I IV II (right?) than this chord appears G7+. It has one avoid note in the Cminor scale and that would be A# because that would be like a minor 3rd and this a major 3rd chord, the rest of the notes (the sharp 5th the minor 7th and of course the G) are all in Cminor scale and the next 2 bars are again C minor chord so until here I can use C minor scale and I just have to be careful to not hit the a# on the g7+.

Than the key changes. There is a major II V I progression resolving on Dbmaj so on this 4 bars I have to use Db major scale. And than it appears again the G7+ chord and than it repeats the same process.

So what do I have to say more?

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 12:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 5 2009, 01:19 AM) *
Hey Pedja! Cool assignment!

What I can tell by quickly looking at it and I don't really know what do really want from this but here we go!

Starts of with Cminor doing this cadence that If I consider Cminor as the tonal center it would be like I IV II (right?) than this chord appears G7+. It has one avoid note in the Cminor scale and that would be A# because that would be like a minor 3rd and this a major 3rd chord, the rest of the notes (the sharp 5th the minor 7th and of course the G) are all in Cminor scale and the next 2 bars are again C minor chord so until here I can use C minor scale and I just have to be careful to not hit the a# on the g7+.

Than the key changes. There is a major II V I progression resolving on Dbmaj so on this 4 bars I have to use Db major scale. And than it appears again the G7+ chord and than it repeats the same process.

So what do I have to say more?

Great to hear you like the assignment!

Lets fix some things from start.

C min F min D min7b5 G7. Where do these chords come from? Is it all one tonal center? Is this a cadence of a sort? What happens after Dmin7b5 G7? Goes back to C min? Is this some turn around also?

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 5 2009, 12:36 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 5 2009, 12:22 AM) *
Great to hear you like the assignment!

Lets fix some things from start.

C min F min D min7b5 G7. Where do these chords come from? Is it all one tonal center? Is this a cadence of a sort? What happens after Dmin7b5 G7? Goes back to C min? Is this some turn around also?

smile.gif

I do think so C min is the 6th degree of the Eb major scale. Fmin could be the II and Dmin7b5 the VII degree right?

And yes it goes back to C minor so that should mark the end of the cadence? Going back to the root?

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 12:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 5 2009, 01:36 AM) *
I do think so C min is the 6th degree of the Eb major scale. Fmin could be the II and Dmin7b5 the VII degree right?

And yes it goes back to C minor so that should mark the end of the cadence? Going back to the root?

Your answers were partially correct!

C minor is not 6th but rather 1st degree. The reason for this is we don't have any sort of Eb major cadence but rather C aeolian (harmonic minor really) cadence!
C min is then I min, F min is IV min, D min7b5 is IImin7b5 and G7 is V7 !
D min7b5 to G7 to C min is II V I in C minor. Also it is turnaround (look at the end of the piece, same trick is used to get back to the beginning of the piece).

Now proceed to more chords smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 5 2009, 10:28 PM
Attached File  Blue_Bossa.txt ( 1.24K ) Number of downloads: 157

Here it is! tell if something is missing Pedja

This post has been edited by Paiva: Sep 5 2009, 10:32 PM

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 6 2009, 10:21 AM
Instructor
It is starting to look good Paiva. However, I was looking for more simplified and clear approach. I will instead ask you direct questions which will lead you to the right path wink.gif

1) What is happening in first two bars? What kind of harmonic rhythm is used compared to rest of the piece and why ?
2) What is happening in bars 3,4,5 and 6? What key are we in ? Was this some sort of cadence and if so which mode/key did it come from compared from 1st bar ?
3) What is happening in bars 7 and 8?
4) What is happening in bars 9 10 11 and 12 ? Did original key of the piece change? Do we have some cadence in those bars? What is happening with harmonic rhythm in that section ?
5) What is happenng in bars 13 14 15 and 16? What key are we in ? Do we have some cadence in those bars and if so where does it come from? What is happening with harmonic rhythm in that section ?

If you respond to all these questions you will do great man.

Waiting for your response!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 8 2009, 10:17 AM
Hey Pedja sorry for not asked this earlier I've been out most of the time. What do you mean my harmonic rhythm? Who much does a chord last? Like Cminor lasts 2 bars and the other chords just one?

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 8 2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 8 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Hey Pedja sorry for not asked this earlier I've been out most of the time. What do you mean my harmonic rhythm? Who much does a chord last? Like Cminor lasts 2 bars and the other chords just one?

Exactly Paiva!
Because C minor last twice as long it creates resting point in listeners ear. Go on further...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 8 2009, 11:06 PM
On bars 3 4 5 6 the key stays the same (Cminor) each chord lasts 1 bar. And they are IV II and V.

On bars 7 and 8 C minor lasts again for 2 bars creating the resting point that you talked about

On 9 10 11 12 the key changes there is a II V I in Dbmajor. On 9 10 there is a regular one chord per bar but than the rote note lasts for 2 bars 11 and 12

On bars 13 14 15 16. It goes back to C minor doing a II V I in this same key (bars 13 14 15). In this case the rote only lasts 1 bar. Then on bar 16 we have 2 chords (the harmonic rhythm changes here) and they are both II and V because then it repeats and in the beggining theres the I again

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 8 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
Now this is starting to look like serious stuff Tiago. Well done man I like it. You could go ahead and tell me some extra things like by what interval modulations appear in this piece? I am also wondering about last two bars, why did they do II V in the last bar instead of sticking to I for 2 bars?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 8 2009, 11:25 PM
Well I guess there is an interval modulation here. When the key changes to Dbmajor the rote goes up an half step higher.

And I think they did that trick on the last bar because if they ended up with the rote on the last 2 bars the song would be solved. It would give a finished feel. So they do a II V. And the V gives the exact some opposite it "askes" for the rote. So this gives a unfinished feel wich of course lets you to repeat the song.

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 8 2009, 11:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 9 2009, 12:25 AM) *
Well I guess there is an interval modulation here. When the key changes to Dbmajor the rote goes up an half step higher.

And I think they did that trick on the last bar because if they ended up with the rote on the last 2 bars the song would be solved. It would give a finished feel. So they do a II V. And the V gives the exact some opposite it "askes" for the rote. So this gives a unfinished feel wich of course lets you to repeat the song.

Almost everything here is correct!
Remember we were in C minor key so you should relate modulation to minor key as well. In this case we went up to Eb minor7, which is up by what interval?
You were right about last bar. They did II V because they wanted to create turnaround and get the piece back to beginning to repeat endlessly smile.gif

Just one more question!

Whats happening with Dbmaj7 and Dmin7b5 - notice something? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 8 2009, 11:49 PM
Oh so that means it goes an minor 3rd higher.

And I do notice that the rote is the only note that really changes between that 2 chords. But I don't know if it is there that I should be looking

This post has been edited by Paiva: Sep 8 2009, 11:50 PM

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 8 2009, 11:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 9 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Oh so that means it goes an minor 3rd higher.

And I do notice that the rote is the only note that really changes between that 2 chords. But I don't know if it is there that I should be looking

Excellent!
Modulation is up minor 3rd because we don't know at that point if Eb minor will be our new key center or if it will do quick II V I. This is because we were used to being modally in C minor and our ear unprepared jump to Eb minor recognizes as a new key! wink.gif

You noticed great Tiago. 3 out of 4 notes are the same, only the root in the bottom is different by half step! This should help you a lot later when improvising over this one smile.gif

Ok, you can now get to part 2 of the assignment - write out soloing approaches over this piece!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 10 2009, 10:13 PM
Instructor
Tiago, how are soloing approaches going? Do you need any help with them?

I can get you started and tell you what I expect in your list (just couple of things)

- Possible pentatonic scale
- Possible arpeggio(s)
- Possible scale/mode

This is the least I expect smile.gif

Lets see what you got!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 17 2009, 12:18 PM
Instructor
Tiago,

How are soloing approaches coming along?
If you need any help with it please let me know.

I will be out of my town today, back tomorrow night. Will respond to all your questions then!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 17 2009, 10:47 PM
Sorry Pedja for not being active. School starting and lots of stuff going on. I will get it on tomorrow and saturday. So for each bar or bars (if nothing changes) I have to say what arpeggio and scale could I use and effects?

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:11 PM