4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Andrew's Theory Lessons, Read this if you are a newcomer!
-Fox-
Mar 30 2008, 02:05 AM
GMC:er
AWESOME gouge! Thanks a lot for the great information! Immensely useful!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UMPHREAK
Apr 8 2008, 05:50 PM
How bout a theory lesson on how to figure out basic arpeggio shapes, no technique but just what notes to hit, I know this would be useful to anyone working on soloing, chord playing, or sweeping.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 8 2008, 06:08 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Great idea! I'll add it to the list smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 8 2008, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
i was just wondering if you are going to make nr 10 on then list writing solos

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 8 2008, 08:41 PM
One day, when I figure out a good way to do it!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 9 2008, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 8 2008, 09:41 PM) *
One day, when I figure out a good way to do it!

ok......

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 10 2008, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Apr 9 2008, 08:42 AM) *
ok......

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound quite so dismissive - the way this works is that a lot of theory lessons are very cut and dried, and a straight forward presentation of the facts - for instance lessons on scales or chords etc. Others are a lot more subjective and can be things that you personally know how to do but are very hard to explain - like finding the key of a song. Writing solos is definitely in the latter category, and before I approach it I need some ideas on how to present it, which needs a lot of thought.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 10 2008, 04:06 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 10 2008, 03:51 PM) *
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound quite so dismissive - the way this works is that a lot of theory lessons are very cut and dried, and a straight forward presentation of the facts - for instance lessons on scales or chords etc. Others are a lot more subjective and can be things that you personally know how to do but are very hard to explain - like finding the key of a song. Writing solos is definitely in the latter category, and before I approach it I need some ideas on how to present it, which needs a lot of thought.

A lot of it comes down to genre as well with soloing as every genre has its own soloing style. And you can have solos that follow the vocal line, counterpoint solos and god knows how many other types. Maybe splitting it down into different sections for some of the key genres may help?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Casper
May 20 2008, 09:41 PM
Hey andrew awesome theory lessons, I was wondering if you were planning on doing the Part 3 - Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian any time in the near future biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:EsP-LtD F-2E, Jackson King V, Fender Strat

MFX: Pandora PX5D, Zoom 505. Sennheiser HD25 mk II Headphones

Blown Amp :(

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 21 2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Chris,

Glad you like the lessons smile.gif I hope to get around to finishing these lessons at some stage, ut Kris is keeping me busy with the Wiki, Copmpetitions, Moderating ... the list goes on! Soon I hope ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
PassionPlay
May 23 2008, 07:00 PM
Please finish the theory about apreggios soon biggrin.gif !

+Quote Post
Echegollen
Aug 15 2008, 06:13 PM
I have really enjoyed studying all this theory! However, I feel my study isn't complete without the WRITING SOLOS section. Will it come anytime soon???

Thank you!

+Quote Post
moez507
Sep 10 2008, 05:38 PM
u rock ...ur explanations are just fantastic...loved the way u explained the difference between scales and patterns... smile.gif

This post has been edited by moez507: Sep 10 2008, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Oct 28 2008, 04:01 PM
This is completely amazing!

I have played for quite a long time by now, but I've never learned any theory what so ever apart from some basic chords!
This ultimately caused me to take a quite long break from the guitar playing due to complete lack of progress, I've been on a break for over a year in fact... I've always wanted to learn theory in order to progress as a guitar player but every time I tried learning by myself I just ended up feeling stupid for not understanding any of it.

All this until a couple of weeks ago when I started feeling the urge to play again, and by pure luck I stumbled on to this site and I told myself.. I need to start in the right end this time and try to learn some theory!
First thing I see on the front page was a link to music theory lessons, and I see this..

Words cannot express how happy it made me, reading through the first posts you made on the basic theory and having it all making sense to me!

Thank you Andrew!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post
Ignite
Jun 4 2009, 08:25 AM
Andrew,
This has been the greatest tutorial i've ever read! You describe everything so well, it's perfect! I was wondering when you plan on releasing the "Breaking out of the boxes", as that is the only part I need from the Intermediate section (Something I really need to work on too! tongue.gif), I already know modes, so I am already on my way through the advanced section! =) Thanks for your contribution Andrew, we all appreciate it greatly!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FilipofCroatia
Jun 10 2009, 11:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow - i have only just seen this whole side of the forum - im glad i did

If that Index on page 1 of this thread is all linked to the relevant information then you deserve a massive hand Andrew!

Just what the doc ordered smile.gif

Thanks man

+Quote Post
am3s22i
Feb 7 2012, 04:02 AM
thanks for the lesson sir andrew! smile.gif

--------------------
“The level of achievement that we have at anything, is a reflection, of how well, we were able to focus on it. Because the only thing that’s holding you back, is the way you’re thinking.”
– Steve Vai

+Quote Post
RocknRoll Ninja
Feb 22 2013, 10:14 AM
Thank you Andrew u really made it easy to understand!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 22 2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys, glad my work is appreciated smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 22 2013, 01:19 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 22 2014, 06:45 PM
Learning Roadie
It would be so AWSOME if somebody finished these theory lessons! I bealive it would help a lot of people smile.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:05 PM