Is This A Good Practice Schedule?
chetta2323
Jul 2 2009, 10:44 PM
GMC:er
Is this a good practice schedule? I mainly play hard rock like AC/DC, Van Halen, Satriani, Pantera type music. If there is anything I am missing or anything I am doing wrong please correct me. Thanks alot.

Warm up-20 min
Alternate picking practice-45 min
sweep picking practice-20 min
Scale- 20 min
learn licks off of gmc- 40 min
Arpeggios- 20 min
Chords/chord progression-30 min
write -20
Fret Board Awareness-20 min
ear training-30 min
learn a song- 2 hours

bump

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 2 2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor
It's awesome, although I would put "scales" and "alternate picking" together for example. Also "sweep" and "arpeggios" can go in parallel as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 2 2009, 11:22 PM
Instructor
Every practicing schedule is fine to me more or less
as long as its about practicing!
You've got couple of hours there which is great imo.
And many of those topic are overlapping a lot which is also great
and we can't do much about that.
Per example, separate ear training will force your ear to train
all the time without noticing, you will play scale and your ear
will start to recognize intervals etc.
Or when you practice scale/arpeggios,
there is much of fretboard awareness already.

Keep it up and don't be afraid to "break" your schedule
when you feel that way, knock yourself out
with 3 hours of pure picking exercises sometimes, why not. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Jul 3 2009, 12:33 AM
thanks guys for the help smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 3 2009, 12:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (chetta2323 @ Jul 3 2009, 01:33 AM) *
thanks guys for the help smile.gif

Rock on. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 3 2009, 01:40 AM
Instructor
I totally agree with Muris here!

If you stick to your practice schedule good things will come out of it no doubt. There is one extra advice I can give you. For everybody is different but if you are new to whole practice plan and routines, you should give it at least 3 months time before you decide to change it to new one. That is period of 90 days and it will give you strong perspective how you did in last 3 months. Also it is essential that you record yourself every day, monitor your progress, so that you can after 90 days hear how you were then and how you are doing now!
If practice schedule proves effective, stick to it. If its not as perfect, kick some things out, add new things and keep working.

Good luck and enjoy it !

--------------------

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Jul 3 2009, 02:56 AM
thanks Pedja

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Jul 3 2009, 03:35 AM
hey guys i have one more question. ok so I am going to cut sown this schedule to 4 hours a day. Is that enough time so in like about 3-4 years i will good enough to play gigs and record music like van halen,ac/dc ect.?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 3 2009, 07:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (chetta2323 @ Jul 3 2009, 04:35 AM) *
hey guys i have one more question. ok so I am going to cut sown this schedule to 4 hours a day. Is that enough time so in like about 3-4 years i will good enough to play gigs and record music like van halen,ac/dc ect.?

It's hard to tell, we aint prophets,
your success depends only and only on your dedication,
love to write and compose, passion, joy to play for someone etc.
But if you play 4 hours every day I would say you have very good chances
for some nice results.
As I said, break rules here and there,
sometimes you won't be able to practice for even an hour per day,
it just happens, something comes out and your are done.
But play 10 hours per day if you get time, that's cool.
Actually, the less you thing "how long it's gonna take"
the sooner it'll happen, kind of. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 3 2009, 11:26 AM
There is one thing you obviously aren't aware of.
You should be playing music, not guitar. It's not how fast you can play, and how much scales and arpeggios you know, it's the music you will produce that matters. Especially Van Halen! He had a pretty good technique, and he always had so many tricks in his pocket, but the most important thing about him was his musicality and taste for playing and music.
You'll be able to play as fast as Van Halen in a month or two with good practicing. That's what I did a couple of years ago, I built my technique from zero in a month or two, practicing really hard 2 to 3 hours a day only with metronome. Later I just had to polish it. But I discovered that I still just couldn't play as good and tasteful as some of my guitar heroes or guys I would see playing around, eventhough I could shred.
But then I discovered phrasing, I discovered how important the overall control over the instrument was (vibrato, bending, etc.). You should concentrate more on music, than techniques.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jul 3 2009, 11:55 AM
Amen Ivan !

But it doesn't mean, you can't practice technique !
A good compromise does wonders, you've got to find balance between those two and learn to play what you want to play!

If you like Guns 'n' Roses, learn Guns 'n' Roses songs, study Slash/Izzy's style and get some backing tracks to jam to.
Jamming is also important, and I think you should incorporate that in your practice schedule smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Jul 3 2009, 02:23 PM
thanks guy! its just that I am not very good at jamming and writing music. I'm a crappy writer. I just hope the skills I learn Technique,Phrasing,Theory,Ect. Will help me become a better player and writer

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 3 2009, 02:36 PM
Instructor
It is hard to tell if 2-3 years will be enough for you to reach your goals. I would say if you practice every day, really put yourself into it, it must have! I really see nothing stopping you, just have to get on with it and do it. Regarding writing part, you need to analyze music and build strong repertoire of styles and artists that you like. Transcribing and analyzing will help you a lot with your writing and arranging skills!
Hope that helps !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 3 2009, 02:40 PM
QUOTE (chetta2323 @ Jul 3 2009, 03:23 PM) *
thanks guy! its just that I am not very good at jamming and writing music. I'm a crappy writer. I just hope the skills I learn Technique,Phrasing,Theory,Ect. Will help me become a better player and writer

Yes, that's the point!!!
I guess your technique is also crappy now, but you are going to practise it until you are satisfied with it.
The same thing with jamming and writing music!!! If I hadn't jammed a lot in the past (at least with the background music in my head, not so much with backingtracks laugh.gif) , and if I hadn't explored my own licks and ways to change them, I would still be crappy at improvising. If you are a crappy writer, then listen to music you like and figure out all the parts the songs are made of, how are they connected, and believe me, you will pick up something with time!
You should practise technique (we are not in the 60's anymore biggrin.gif), but don't spend 4 hours a day practising only technique. If you practise technique "only" 2 hours a day, it's still very efficient (and I actually believe it's more efficient than practising 4 hours a day), but spend those rest 2 hours on music! Practise phrasing, vibrato, licks, jamming, songwriting, anything creative! Be creative! Technique ALONE won't make you a better musician, player or writer. It's just a tool you have to know how and when to use.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jul 3 2009, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Zecic @ Jul 3 2009, 12:26 PM) *
There is one thing you obviously aren't aware of.
You should be playing music, not guitar. It's not how fast you can play, and how much scales and arpeggios you know, it's the music you will produce that matters. Especially Van Halen! He had a pretty good technique, and he always had so many tricks in his pocket, but the most important thing about him was his musicality and taste for playing and music.
You'll be able to play as fast as Van Halen in a month or two with good practicing. That's what I did a couple of years ago, I built my technique from zero in a month or two, practicing really hard 2 to 3 hours a day only with metronome. Later I just had to polish it. But I discovered that I still just couldn't play as good and tasteful as some of my guitar heroes or guys I would see playing around, eventhough I could shred.
But then I discovered phrasing, I discovered how important the overall control over the instrument was (vibrato, bending, etc.). You should concentrate more on music, than techniques.

Yeah, play dem blues?! Right Sted?!:D !!!!!!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 4 2009, 02:47 AM
And what about some tapping practice?

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 5 2009, 02:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
Legato would be a pretty handy technique to use as well ! smile.gif Maybe you should generalise your schedule a bit more smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:25 PM