Sex Pistols Tone
Phil66
Nov 10 2015, 10:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,

Any tips on getting the Steve Jones tone from the "Never Mind The ........" album? I thought it would be simple but I'm struggling. I've tried two Les Pauls (Epiphone) one with high output pickups and the other with P90s, I found the P90s had to be switched to both on to prevent hum.

I just cant get it right sad.gif

Any tips?

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 10 2015, 10:38 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 11 2015, 03:04 AM
GMC:er
It's a 1974 LP Custom (standard PAFs) and a silver face Twin Reverb (LOUD!).
Normal Bridge humbucker. Not high output. You won't get any of the sparkle or definition that Jones has with modern high output pkups. P-90s will be too bluesy sounding. If you listen carefully there's a lot of Chuck Berry tone and approach in Jones' playing. Listen to 'Problems'. Check out the lead. Classic Gibson bridge pickup tone.
Twin reverb WAY up so a lot of mids and high mids from the EQ but the speakers are stressing, which gives it the cool low end. Also, the bass which is overdriven is doubling most of the guitar low end parts.

1) Steve Jones is a badass and has a great strumming hand. He can essentially pull that tone from any set up.
2) Chris Thomas is an AMAZING producer/engineer.
3) Even though it's one of the seminal 'punk' albums of the late 70s it's very well produced. Not 'over' produced but well produced. A lot of time was taken on the guitar arrangements. * Jones remarks that Thomas made him re-tune up all the time. All high-end mics and state of the art (at the time) gear.
4) Most all of the guitar tracks (rhythm parts) are double tracked and even triple tracked (this is well documented by SJ and CT). Most of the leads sound doubled to me as well.

Steve Jones also played bass on the record. Precision and an SVT.

Great record! From so many angles.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 11 2015, 03:52 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 11 2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks for that brilliant post Ken.
Very enlightening. I think I'll try with my PRS Ace. That might sound better. To be honest it sounded closer when I first tried because I was having to use some cheap gaming speakers as one of my monitors was in for repair. That came back on Monday and the same settings sounded really muddy.
Thanks again Ken, very informing as usual. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 11 2015, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I think that klasain has given excellent details about Sex Pistol's tone in their albums. Now it's time to transpose this info to your current set up. What amp are you using to design the sound?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 11 2015, 04:42 PM
If your 'modeling' an amp, look for something that's described as a Black Face Fender. Even though Jonesy's was an SF, it was an early one and most likely had a lot of BF guts. Also, any 'silver' Fender presets I've used are great for super clean tones but way too bright when pushed to overdrive.

Try Vox AC-30 and Marshall Plexi settings w/o so much gain. With modeling you have really wide EQ options. you can turn a Marshall into a Fender, almost.

If you have 'modeled' micing options go for a ribbon on one pass and dynamic on another and maybe a condenser on a 3rd pass.

Ultimately, I think what's going to get you close is doing really tight doubles on all the guitar parts as well as playing bass with a pick that mimics the guitar parts in the low end.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 11 2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks Gab and Ken,

I was using a something called MS 1959 1+2. Here is Clean Twin with gain up, 4x12 cab, Dyn57 mic, mic directed away 4cm (1.5") from centre.

Any advice please??

Thank you gentlemen.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jonesy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 12 2015, 12:59 AM
Tone is pretty close.

1) You're a little out of tune. This makes doubling (which is essential) very difficult.
2) You need a quicker (biting) attack with your strumming hand.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 12 2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks Ken,
Does it sound a little sharp to you? I tuned up before posting but I do tend to grip power chords, in fact all chords a little hard sad.gif I find it hard to relax my hand when fingering multiple strings.
Cheers, much appreciated
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2015, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 11 2015, 06:26 PM) *
Thanks Gab and Ken,

I was using a something called MS 1959 1+2. Here is Clean Twin with gain up, 4x12 cab, Dyn57 mic, mic directed away 4cm (1.5") from centre.

Any advice please??

Thank you gentlemen.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jonesy

Sounds good!! I would set it with less drive/gain but strum much more aggressive as klasaine said. This will keep power but will make it sound with more attack and clearness.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 12 2015, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 12 2015, 04:53 AM) *
Thanks Ken,
Does it sound a little sharp to you? I tuned up before posting but I do tend to grip power chords, in fact all chords a little hard sad.gif I find it hard to relax my hand when fingering multiple strings.
Cheers, much appreciated
Phil

Yes, it could be that you're squeezing to hard.

*When you tune do you only use a tuner and then go or do you also check with your ear using 'clean' chords?
I re-check with open G, A, D, E and then a barre chord or two up the neck. Usually A and C (5th and 8th frets respectively).

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 12 2015, 07:28 PM
I tend to use a tuner and go because time is tight and my ear isn't very good. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2015, 08:54 PM
This is interesting, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what you see, things that you may see him doing that I don't see. His right hand looks very very relaxed

Thanks smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDN3tAb-vbY

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 19 2015, 04:02 PM
"Video not available in my country" ... or so it says.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2015, 04:18 PM
That's crazy Ken, I can't think why sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2015, 05:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, it's a cool video. IT sounds like listening to the isolated track of the original songs. It's awesome to see how personal his rhythm playing is. It's totally natural and genuine. It comes from his heart, amazing video. smile.gif

That's what I see here...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks Gab,
I think sometimes that's why it's hard to play other people's work, it's not from your heart, well for a beginner like me anyway. It made me smile when he said it all came about from not knowing how to play smile.gif
He seems very relaxed, almost not bothered but in a good way smile.gif
Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 19 2015, 06:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:58 AM