Helping Choosing A Combo Amp!
Sami
Aug 11 2009, 03:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey GMC! So im going to college soon and i need help choosing a relatively small combo amp that i can keep in my dorm, use for practicing in the practice rooms and use for jamming with other people. My set up is usually my Ibanez RGR320EX to my boss GT-8 to the amp. My price range is around 100-400 dollars, and i like companies like peavy and marshall. But ill take suggestions from anywhere, im ordering online so you can send links from online stores too!
Thanks so much!
Sami

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 11 2009, 04:43 PM
Lets go fishing!

Im not sure how much the Peavey Valve King is in the US, but thats where my money would go in that price range smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 11 2009, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
You might want to take a look at the TECH 21 amps too.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 11 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
This seems like a good one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKi...661-i1383113.gc

cause of its simplicity of it eq control(something i need when going through a multi effects), its size, and the fact that its a tube amp! tell me what you all think!

P.S. MATTACUK LONG TIME NO SEE MATE HOW ARE YOUU

--------------------
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 11 2009, 07:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
''Jamming out with Friends''

Does that involve playing with a drummer? If yes then you will need a pretty loud amp! If it's only playing 4 fun with other guitarists and jamming at home then go for my new favourite: Blackstar Ht-5!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 11 2009, 08:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
mostly with other guitarist, and instrumentalist, for drummers ill probably have access to a large practice room with PA's of some sort,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-S...560-i1434795.gc
is that the HT-5? will it work well with me running my GT-8 through it?
Thanks for your time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 11 2009, 08:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
your GT-8 will work best through the clean channel mate, the drive on these is quite heavy but has some great tone shaping features, pretty loud and quite versatile, I would recommend the HT-5 too mate.

Other considerations are for me:

Marshall class 5

Attached Image

Only one channel to the BS two but it has oodles of charm and that distinct Marshall tone, not as good value as the BS though.

Fender champ Tweed reissue

Attached Image

My absolute favourite in this sector, unfortunately it is above your price range but it has the best tone and the best looks by far!

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 11 2009, 08:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
whoa this is great advice im getting, im comparing and contrasting them all
just to make sure though, the Ht-5(just the head by itsself) will be loud enough for practicing and playing with other guitarist right? ive never entered this head/cab business so i have no clue haha.
cause if so thats what i'm looking at cause then in the future all ill have to do to upgrade is to buy cabs biggrin.gif

EDIT: or wait is this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-S...413-i1434794.gc the HT-5 you where talking about? haha

This post has been edited by Sami: Aug 11 2009, 08:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 11 2009, 08:35 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Sami @ Aug 11 2009, 07:14 PM) *
P.S. MATTACUK LONG TIME NO SEE MATE HOW ARE YOUU

hello Sami, I am well thankyou ^__^

Lots of amps to choose from here. I really like the look of the HT-5 as you know, im not sure how expensive that is in the states

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 11 2009, 08:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
You said combo amp so we are talking about the 1x10 combo Blackstar^^

The amp has an effects loop and a great clean channel so the gt-8 will work in front of the map as amp simulation or in the effects loops as an effects processor. It says 5 watts but it is a lot louder than other 5 watt tube amps, more like 10-15 watts to quote MickeM - so yes it's plenty of loud for a jam with another guitarist!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 11 2009, 08:51 PM
The Peavey Classic 30/Delta Blues 30 are tremendous amps for the money. I picked up a virtually new DB 1x15 for $400 on Ebay. Add an Omnisonic to the effects loop for +$20 and you've got an amp that can go from a club venue to a dorm room.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 11 2009, 09:37 PM
double post

This post has been edited by jdriver: Aug 12 2009, 08:37 PM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 11 2009, 09:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
so i think im looking more toward the Ht-5, how big is the actual thing though? do you think id be able to fit it under my desk in college? carry it around with ease?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 11 2009, 10:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
I messured mine stnading besides me^^:

~ 45 cm wide, 35 cm high and 20 cm deep

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 11 2009, 10:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
thanks for measuring smile.gif

is it easy to pick up?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 11 2009, 10:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sure dude it's not heavy

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 12 2009, 03:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for your help mate, and everyone else, ill tell you all when i've made my final decision

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 12 2009, 07:28 AM
i vouch for the ht-5

one of the best sounding amps ive ever used. the effects loop takes pedals nicely, the gain is awesome, the cleans sound great, line out for head phones...the combo is small enough to fit under a desk, even the head + 1x10 will fit, i have the full stack myself, and i wouldnt trade it for the world...first amp ive been extremely happy with, and ive done mesa, peavey, and marshal

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Sami
Aug 12 2009, 03:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just ordered my Black Star Ht-5 combo and im getting shipped to the college! thanks so much everyone for all your help!!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 12 2009, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
great choice mate!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:51 PM