8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
What Are You Practicing Now?
Manu RASSE
May 8 2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Gab

Here an other take.
I still have to work on timing and rhythm part ...
I'll get there.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MisterM: May 9 2015, 07:06 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 9 2015, 04:13 PM
Instructor
Hi MisterM! I'm impressed of your progress! I can notice that you are working hard and with very good results! Your timing and rhythm technique are getting polished from take to take and this new one shows a big improvement compared with the previous one. There is obviously work to do in order to keep on polishing and making your playing tighter but this video shows that you are on the right track.

How are you working on this? Do you repeat the whole thing over and over or do you isolate trickier sections?

Congrats and keep working! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 9 2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Gab,

I work in metronome 60 BPM , I listen Piotr, I try to reproduce every note isolating sequences.
I'm not satisfied , I still have a hard time with the rhythm funk .. I continue to work every day a little bit

Thank you happy.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2015, 09:18 PM
Instructor
Excellent! You're on the right track. Keep going! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 13 2015, 05:17 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Thank you Gab ;-)

+Quote Post
hickstir
May 21 2015, 11:16 AM
GMC:er
Hi Gabe, as you know, I'm working on Buckethead II. So here's some feedback/inner thoughts from a beginner...
First of all, loving the lesson! The very first thing I noticed was that you were playing the D on the E string in the video but the tabs have the D on the B string. Of course I was like WTF at first, and then I watched it a few times and figured it out. I also had a thought that while you guys might not want to do this too often in lessons, it might be a great 'kind of lesson' in the theory section. Meaning; teachers could play little rif's or something and purposely play 'the same note' just play it somewhere different on the fretboard than it is on the tabs. wink.gif
One other thing I'm learning from this lesson is 'how to practice' these lessons. I love the breaking up of the music into sections, which is actually one of the things I was told to do when I was learning the piano.
I'm also finding what kind of movements are easy for me, and which ones are difficult... For example; the first bar of section 5 gives me the most trouble by far. It has something to do with 'how to pick it' coupled with the fact that it doesn't seem to, for lack of better words, have that flow that my fingers are used to. So I'm thinking this is a good thing of course and will be practicing that bar all day today!

One other thing that really stands out to me is how it's very interesting how we all see and here things differently, which is why so many remakes of songs sound different. While playing this piece, I find myself constantly wanting to switch the tempo of some of the parts because, as you know better than me, there is soooo many ways to play the same thing. So I'll be trucking along and find myself playing it to the way I guess my mind is saying to play it, and I actually have to stop myself and play it correctly. For example; a part maybe, don't know how to write this but, x, x, x, x, x, I find myself playing it maybe something like x, x,.. x, x, x. It still fits the overall piece just gives certain sections a different flow.
Anyways; there you have some feedback, I will have the video for you some time this weekend, bank on it!
Cheers

I like the flashy border, seems to fit the music. Of course, being into photography, I can't believe I'm approving anything that might take away from the subject matter, but in this case, great work. I mean great work on the music also!! I hope to get there one day. Rock on MisterM

QUOTE (MisterM @ May 8 2015, 03:35 PM) *
Hi Gab

Here an other take.
I still have to work on timing and rhythm part ...
I'll get there.

This post has been edited by hickstir: May 21 2015, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2015, 08:46 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for your feedback! I'll check what you said about the difference in tab and fix it on the lesson. I agree that this kind of difference can confuse an absolute beginner so it shouldn't be there, thanks for notifying!

Identifying the tricky parts of a lesson, solo or song that you are learning is very recommendable. I always recommend to isolate the tricky parts, play them and try to notice what's the reason why it's giving problems: Is it a picking issue? is it related to your left hand? Does it sound noisy? Do you have speed limitations? Once we detect the main reason/s, we need to practicing focusing on this problem. We can create variations of the lick to create our own licks, or also search for exercises designed to master the issue. So, all I can say is that you are right, it's the best way to do it, keep going.

About the second part of your comments: creating your own variations of the lessons. It's another thing that I always recommend! So we are on tune! I believe that the best way to make this lessons and licks of your own is to mix them with your own playing, and variations in order to make them more natural for you. This lessons are excuses to give you exercises and inspire you to create your own music, so you are definitely on the right track! smile.gif

PS: I couldn't find the wrong tabs on the lesson, what part are you talking about?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
May 23 2015, 12:11 PM
GMC:er
You had me worried that I was losing my mind... ohmy.gif
Section 2: The 15th fret B string on tab. It looks like you're playing the 10th fret of the high E string.
Wait a minute... I get it now, this is a way you make older guys feel like they're losing their minds. laugh.gif You don't have to do that, my wife already does!!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2015, 07:46 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for your feedback! I'll check what you said about the difference in tab and fix it on the lesson. I agree that this kind of difference can confuse an absolute beginner so it shouldn't be there, thanks for notifying!

Identifying the tricky parts of a lesson, solo or song that you are learning is very recommendable. I always recommend to isolate the tricky parts, play them and try to notice what's the reason why it's giving problems: Is it a picking issue? is it related to your left hand? Does it sound noisy? Do you have speed limitations? Once we detect the main reason/s, we need to practicing focusing on this problem. We can create variations of the lick to create our own licks, or also search for exercises designed to master the issue. So, all I can say is that you are right, it's the best way to do it, keep going.

About the second part of your comments: creating your own variations of the lessons. It's another thing that I always recommend! So we are on tune! I believe that the best way to make this lessons and licks of your own is to mix them with your own playing, and variations in order to make them more natural for you. This lessons are excuses to give you exercises and inspire you to create your own music, so you are definitely on the right track! smile.gif

PS: I couldn't find the wrong tabs on the lesson, what part are you talking about?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 23 2015, 04:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (hickstir @ May 23 2015, 08:11 AM) *
You had me worried that I was losing my mind... ohmy.gif
Section 2: The 15th fret B string on tab. It looks like you're playing the 10th fret of the high E string.
Wait a minute... I get it now, this is a way you make older guys feel like they're losing their minds. laugh.gif You don't have to do that, my wife already does!!

hahaha not really! Now I got it! Thanks a lot mate! It's fixed. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 23 2015, 07:05 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I have recently been recruited to fill in as a Bass player in a band called Big Fungus laugh.gif. I need to learn roughly 60 songs by June 20th where we have two 4 hour shows to do. The set lists are all over the place and range from Oldies, Classic Rock, R&B, Blues, and even a touch of Country and Bluegrass.

So far it is going pretty well and in the last week that I have been tackling these songs I have already nailed down about a third of them. Fortunately, many of them are pretty easy songs with just 3 chords and have similar walking Bass lines but there are also many I have not heard before and also the band transposes many of the songs to different keys than the original versions or have different arrangements.

So, what I have been doing is finding all the songs online (YouTube mainly) to get the basic riffs and structures of the songs, and then comparing them to recordings I have of the band I am playing in to further dial them in and some of the songs I just learn on the spot at band rehearsal.

So far the guys in the band seem very happy with the way I am playing and with the progress I have been making but as I have feared, Instead of just filling in for the summer , I think these guys now want me to stay on as a permanent member ph34r.gif I don't think they have even bothered to look for another Bass player since I have begun learning their songs and practicing with them. rolleyes.gif

I am having a good time learning and playing these songs but switching over to playing Bass full time was not something that I wanted to do, and although playing the outdoor festival type gigs and parties and weddings sounds cool , I am not too excited to play in some of the clubs up here to 3 and 4 in the morning or travel very far from home to play either. At some point I feel I am going to have to let them down which kind of bums me out because I kinda like these guys. They're good people.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
May 24 2015, 03:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 23 2015, 02:05 PM) *
I have recently been recruited to fill in as a Bass player in a band called Big Fungus laugh.gif. I need to learn roughly 60 songs by June 20th where we have two 4 hour shows to do. The set lists are all over the place and range from Oldies, Classic Rock, R&B, Blues, and even a touch of Country and Bluegrass.

So far it is going pretty well and in the last week that I have been tackling these songs I have already nailed down about a third of them. Fortunately, many of them are pretty easy songs with just 3 chords and have similar walking Bass lines but there are also many I have not heard before and also the band transposes many of the songs to different keys than the original versions or have different arrangements.

So, what I have been doing is finding all the songs online (YouTube mainly) to get the basic riffs and structures of the songs, and then comparing them to recordings I have of the band I am playing in to further dial them in and some of the songs I just learn on the spot at band rehearsal.

So far the guys in the band seem very happy with the way I am playing and with the progress I have been making but as I have feared, Instead of just filling in for the summer , I think these guys now want me to stay on as a permanent member ph34r.gif I don't think they have even bothered to look for another Bass player since I have begun learning their songs and practicing with them. rolleyes.gif

I am having a good time learning and playing these songs but switching over to playing Bass full time was not something that I wanted to do, and although playing the outdoor festival type gigs and parties and weddings sounds cool , I am not too excited to play in some of the clubs up here to 3 and 4 in the morning or travel very far from home to play either. At some point I feel I am going to have to let them down which kind of bums me out because I kinda like these guys. They're good people.

Hey AK, that seems like a real chore but I'm sure you'll be fine. Hey I read this book, "100 jazz guitarists" and this guy interviewed them and one question the interviewer had was, "how do you remember all those chord progressions?"

His answer was simple, he said that he could not remember all the chord progressions but he could remember countless melodies. So anyway if your stuck remembering a couple tunes try and just remember the melody. Even if it's single notes it will still sound great! Good luck man.... Oh your playing bass.... Never mind

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 24 2015, 05:25 PM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (hickstir @ May 21 2015, 10:16 AM) *
I hope to get there one day. Rock on MisterM

Hi hickstir

Thank you for these kind words.... smile.gif

Hi Gab, Hi GMC,

I made a Little Wing cover
I must work again but I take pleasure
Your advices help me for my futur cover in a few month.

This post has been edited by MisterM: May 24 2015, 05:34 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 24 2015, 05:53 PM
Learning Roadie
hi here

I work hard on several stuff... (hey Gabriel !! cool.gif ) and today i restart to work on MISTY, a well know jazz standart from errol garner 1954

i really love this track , and i want to play it like i love to do wink.gif

this is what i can do in january, really feel to do better in a few time !!

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-jan-30-15-12-13bb

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2015, 11:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 23 2015, 03:05 PM) *

It sounds like a very cool experience! I've never been on a professional cover band, so I don't know the trick behind remembering 40 songs but as it happens with my band, I discovered that I don't really remember all the notes and chords, it seems that the song and my ear guides me through the songs that I'm playing. This is the reason why hearing my guitar clearly when I'm playing live is essential to do a good show.

Learning and playing along with all those songs will be a great training for your bass playing and also for your ear, and if the guys are good and cool persons to play with, this is even better.

Enjoy it! smile.gif

QUOTE (MisterM @ May 24 2015, 01:25 PM) *
Hi hickstir

Thank you for these kind words.... smile.gif

Hi Gab, Hi GMC,

I made a Little Wing cover
I must work again but I take pleasure
Your advices help me for my futur cover in a few month.

Wou MisterM!! This is so beautiful! I enjoyed a lot your tone and your phrasing on this cover.

There is a lot of feeling happening there, you rock!

Congrats.

QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 24 2015, 01:53 PM) *
hi here

I work hard on several stuff... (hey Gabriel !! cool.gif ) and today i restart to work on MISTY, a well know jazz standart from errol garner 1954

i really love this track , and i want to play it like i love to do wink.gif

this is what i can do in january, really feel to do better in a few time !!

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-jan-30-15-12-13bb

Laurent

Interesting! What topics are you working to improve your jazz improv skills?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 25 2015, 07:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Interesting! What topics are you working to improve your jazz improv skills?

hi Gabriel

i do not work this on the GMC,but with my neighbor, he is a professional jazz guitar player, not always available cause he work a lot (tour, recording session etc...).

since january do not practice on jazz and II V I chord progression, i only focus myself on technical stuff, and 3 day ago we played together and surprisingly, i do not remember how to play misty's chords.

so i decide to take 30min of my time everyday to work on, yesterday i do a try about misty's melody and it's was hugely better than the old record you have listen (i'am shy to have presented this unsure.gif )

today i have work some chords like cantaloupe island and all blues.(i have digged in my archives to find all my aebersol jazz stuff)

even if jazz is a hard part of guitar learning i think it's an obligation and a good school about (weird)chords learning, i'll never be a good jazz player, but if i can catch a little part of, i'll be better

in the other side it's really frustrating to play with him, and very motivating, but this seem to be an endless pain.....

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2015, 03:55 PM
Instructor
I can't agree more. Playing with a more advanced musician is always a killer learning, you can do this on real life, at gmc with collabs, or you can also do it using your favorite records. How?

- Choose a song from your favorite musician.
- Close your eyes and listen to it. Feel it.
- Imagine yourself playing along with it, imagine your guitar grooving with the track. Add your own thing to the music, complement it.
- Pick up your guitar and play what you have in your mind...

bingo! you are playing with your favorite musician. smile.gif

this is not a joke, it's a very helpful training.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 26 2015, 06:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabriel

ok i'll try in this way, may be fun and usefull !

This morning i have work for 2 hours about alternate picking, but this afternoon, we have work two song:

I have spend from 12h30 to 18h30 of guitar learn....woaw...

- take five from dave brubeck, jazz

- cantaloup island herbie hancok, jazz

and some other stuff (take a train....)

this is a jam on Take a train done by myself (Yann at the second guitar)

i always do some errors...... but it's a nice take smile.gif

only worked with ears, i do not watch my hand and it's was awesome to play like this (at 5:50 i was haunted)

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/take-a-train

an impro with Europa

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/sanatan

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: May 26 2015, 07:07 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2015, 03:13 PM
Instructor
Nice playing laurent! I listened to both while checking a bit the forum and I can say that your playing sounds very tasty over this tunes. You already have your friend who is helping you with this stuff so you don't need specific guidelines, but what I can say that could help you to keep on evolving your improvisation skills is working on different concepts, one at a time. You can make a list of things to improve, work on and focus on one of them each day or on each take. Things like dynamics, vibrato, ornamentation, horizontal playing, following the chords, triadic phrasing, pentatonic, using thirds, sixths, fourths, octaves, and lots of other concepts that can be worked.

But by now, I can say that you are sounding very cool, keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 27 2015, 03:26 PM
Learning Roadie
hey Gabriel !!

i'm glad you have listen them thanks, they are recorded with my phone, (thankx to him to do his best, i love my android phone )
yes of course, i'm ready to work very hard to learn how to PLAY, i have notice some know technical name , but some other i do not know....

i'm ready to kill someone if needed !!! <---- i joke smile.gif

see you tonight

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: May 27 2015, 03:27 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2015, 03:41 PM
Instructor
hahaha ok, I'll share more details about those concepts on my session at the chat-room tonight at 20 hs. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:22 AM