Pedals - What Order, Noob at FX
Kizaze44
Jun 5 2008, 02:12 AM
GMC:er
Hey all,

This probably seems like a dumb question, but I'm counting on my brethren here at GMC to forgive my noob-ness.

These are all my pedals. I have NO IDEA which order they should go in before going into my amp.

Stereo Chorus
Boss Distortion/Overdrive
Boss Super Overdrive
Phase 90
Flanger
Envelope Filter
Wah pedal

I've only played around with them one at a time, but just got myself one of those Boss cases where I can put them all together. Please help, and thanks in advance to all you talented musicians - you inspire me to raise my game!

-Kizaze

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jun 5 2008, 02:59 AM
I think the technically "correct" order is EQ/wah/envelope, then overdrive/distortion, and then modulation effects (chorus, flanger, phaser).

However, you can always go out of order for a different sound. For example, Carlos Santana puts his Tubescreamer before his wah pedal, and he gets some great wah sounds out of it. Just experiment, and go with whatever sounds good to you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jun 5 2008, 05:03 AM
So, you might want to try:

Envelope
Wah

Super Overdrive
Distortion/Overdrive

Phaser
Chorus
Flanger

Not necessarily in that exact order, but with those groups in order.

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jun 5 2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Zephyr, I'll give it a try

+Quote Post
Fidelman
Jun 5 2008, 02:22 PM
What i've learned is that the only thing that comes before a compressor is an env-filter.

My bet would be.

Envelope
Distortion/Overdrive
Overdrive (i'm guessing you want to use it as a booster for solos?)
Wah
Phaser
Chorus
Flanger

With the wah pedal it kinda depends on what sound you want. I never use my crybaby, but when i do, distortion came first and then wah. Gave me a sweet sound, but maybe not what your looking for if you want the Kirk hammet or Jimi Hendrix feel (not that i am comparing them). Some of the Boss wah-pedals also do this themselves. They have a built-in overdrive function that comes prior to the wah effect.

Whatever floats you're boat i guess smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fidelman: Jun 5 2008, 02:23 PM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 5 2008, 08:44 PM
Instructor
I would have put the Phaser, chorus and flanger pedals in FX-loop, if your amp has one.

And then Envelope, Distortion and Wah as direct.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 6 2008, 02:18 AM
Instructor
Guitar: Envelope - Wah - Super Overdrive (for boost) - Distortion/Overdrive : To Amp's input

FX Loop Send: Chorus - Flanger - Phaser : FX Loop Return

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jun 6 2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys - if I don't have an FX loop, is it bad to use the chorus, flanger & Phaser? I've read that it diminishes tone without an FX loop.

-Kiz

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:40 AM