4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Really Down...need Some Advice
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 3 2007, 09:12 PM
GMC Founder
Fantastic thread - you guys share my opinion and are very supportive! biggrin.gif

I am 25 and I am learning to sing from scratch - no one is going to tell my I'm too old. (If they do I'll growl in their face!).

That's
the spirit! biggrin.gif

Kris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 3 2007, 09:13 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Wow kris, in that picture you look pretty manly, you must have not shaved in months!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
edgor67
Sep 3 2007, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
Kris, you may want to check that right incisor. You may need a cap. It is said to sing in church is twice a prayer. When I don't sing in church it is 3 times a blessing. I am also dabbling with voice. My range starts at the G below middle C. Scary.

g

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 3 2007, 09:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Sep 2 2007, 07:13 AM) *
My lifes dream is to be a pro guitarist, but lately everyone is telling me "you cant do it", "you started too late"(im 17 and just got rid of my bad practicing habits.) and "you cant make any money that way, youll never make it". i feel depressed and overwhelmed, What should i do? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

You already got the best of advice!
I'd just like to add - quit telling people what your plans are, that's only fuel for their fire and I'm sorry to say but there are some out there who want nothing else but to see other people fail. And when they tell you something is not doable you have to think about if they say it to you out of concern or if they are trying to block your way.

I'm sure there's a word for it in other languages too but in Sweden we say "Jantelagen" - It's the law about that noone is allowed to own something that's better or have a life situation that better than anyone else. Neither are you allowed to succeed or even think you have the possibility to make something out over what's concidered normal.

So... stop talking, just show them! smile.gif

+Quote Post
edgor67
Sep 3 2007, 09:57 PM
MickeM,

You know you are right. There are just some people who don't what people to have success. I don't understand the psyche!

Jantelagen in the game of poker is called ...playing your cards close to your vest.

Excellent point. SHRED ON!

g

+Quote Post
Davidian
Sep 4 2007, 12:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow, some very nice posts here. I'm 17 too and really cool to read all those posts!

ow and shredmandan when you're 17, you can drink bear, lots of it !! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2007, 12:37 AM
Instructor
Don't be discouraged man,
I've been told that over and over..
But if it's in you there is no one who can stop you from becoming what you will one day.
One of my friends started playing when he was 28 and makes a living out of it now..

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 4 2007, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 3 2007, 02:46 PM) *
I'm sure there's a word for it in other languages too but in Sweden we say "Jantelagen" - It's the law about that noone is allowed to own something that's better or have a life situation that better than anyone else. Neither are you allowed to succeed or even think you have the possibility to make something out over what's concidered normal.

The Jante Law.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Sep 4 2007, 12:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 4 2007, 04:34 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Sep 2 2007, 01:13 AM) *
My lifes dream is to be a pro guitarist, but lately everyone is telling me "you cant do it", "you started too late"(im 17 and just got rid of my bad practicing habits.) and "you cant make any money that way, youll never make it". i feel depressed and overwhelmed, What should i do? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I'm currently 47 and all my life I've wanted to do nothing but be real good at the guitar. I started playing around your age then one day my guitar teacher showed up at my house for a lesson and my friends started laughing at me because I was going to leave and go to my lesson. I didn't go and ended up quitting the guitar until this past father's day. All my life I have regretted quitting that day. Just imagine how good I'd be if I had continued taking lessons and playing the guitar? That would have been 30+ years of playing experience.

Please don't do what I did, keep playing and practicing and don't let yourself down. Continue on with your life's dream and if you work hard enough at it, you "WILL" make it! Good luck, I know you can do it!

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
chast
Sep 4 2007, 04:50 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey, don't worry about your age, it really doesnt matter as long as you work hard.
A good example is Pat Martino:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Martino

Just read what happened to him, maybe it will give you some boost smile.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Bitey
Sep 4 2007, 04:54 AM
I am only 17 too and I never let people get me down. Just tell them atleast I haven't given up on my dreams like you, I am sorry I don't want to sit in a cubical all day living a horrible life. lol Look at Ozzy Osbourne, if he could make it, anyone can. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 4 2007, 05:02 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Bitey @ Sep 4 2007, 05:54 AM) *
I am sorry I don't want to sit in a cubical all day living a horrible life

HEY!!! I'm offended by that!!!

I don't sit in a cubical but I have a horrible life, What's wrong with that? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 4 2007, 08:06 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Have to say that at the age of 43 the things that I most regret in my life tend not to be things I did but things I didn't do - and too often didn't do because others told me not to! Stick with it.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 4 2007, 08:47 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 3 2007, 09:13 PM) *
Wow kris, in that picture you look pretty manly, you must have not shaved in months!!!

He's Swedish though, so that's probably just a few hours after shaving laugh.gif.

I wish I could grow a decent moustache/beard sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
white eagle
Sep 4 2007, 12:04 PM
thats the way I though a well when I was younger
There aint no age limit on music man
If you are a guitar man let it ring ask BB what he thinks about age
Sure you face don't hold its shine forever but in you music shine on you crazy diamond

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 5 2007, 09:05 AM
QUOTE (white eagle @ Sep 4 2007, 03:04 AM) *
thats the way I though a well when I was younger
There aint no age limit on music man
If you are a guitar man let it ring ask BB what he thinks about age
Sure you face don't hold its shine forever but in you music shine on you crazy diamond

Ladies and Gentlemen , Mr.Neil Diamond smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ibanezium
Sep 6 2007, 05:01 AM
don't care what the say!

But personally I think that going pro should never be the motivation.

+Quote Post
visi0n
Sep 15 2007, 08:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
If there is a will .. Then there will be a way smile.gif

My dream is also to be a great proffesional guitarist like my hero's ( Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Andy Timmons )

And i believe that i will be someday a great proffesional guitarist .. !!

Just believe in it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Sep 15 2007, 12:52 PM
DONT LISTEN TO THEM!!!! its up to u if i can go all the way..if u listen to them ur goal will be harder to accomplish...dont listen to anybody that thinks you cant do it....anybody can do if u put ur mind to it!!!!!

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe

+Quote Post
TheReturnFC-Iban...
Oct 2 2007, 11:21 AM
these post are really great!!

I was also downed 2 days ago but i was still holding guitar tidy in my hand that day.

It was really hard if you just want to sit with your guitar all days&nights long.

I think that is really useless. I couldn't socialized because of guitar in my school much.

I just spend time on guitar and listen to song. The only reason?

"I want to make people happy and see their smile when they listen to my music! Although it will not be a masterpiece but as long as it last it show how much effort of your dedicated soul put in those piece."

I would say that song last your soul though you are not here on this earth but heaven or hell or nowhere!
I felt this way because my inspired guitarist is "Slash-GnR"

Most of this famous songs are not really fast.
They sound good instead...

I wish I could be like him..."Master of Melody not Maximized Melted-lody"

Although I love rocks and metals but still if melody is not good I don't really say that i have complete my dream! And I also like shred. It's not bad!

Let see..Thank for another motivations they are really good I feel better now.
I would keep myself on this track even though I won't be joining music college or any degrees(17 years old) (I think these are not really important. To be what you are{Rock metal pop jazz or blue} is a serious issue for yourself!)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:39 PM