Introduction
mroberts70
Sep 17 2012, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
You ask for it Kristofer, and here it is in all it's lengthy glory..... the introduction!

Hello guys, I'm Mark and I live in the US. I started playing around age 15 using a guitar that my dad traded and got for me as we didn't have a lot when I was growing up, but dad tried and did a good job for a first guitar. A Peavey T-25 in excellent condition with hard shell case. I played til around age 20 then life took over and I stopped playing for...... (count em)... 20 years. Wow in saying that I feel like I just said I was 80 years old, 42 actually so more than half there. Within that time frame I would pick up my guitar here and there and realize that I was still on a plateau where I left off, actually worse... and get frustrated and stop trying. I didn't do that bad learning by ear early on, but just not great and definitely wasn't able to advance my playing as all my old buddies moved on and I had no one to even jam with anymore. So in my last ditch effort for about the last year, I decided to give it one more try and I've been gathering some new gear and hoping that this old dog can learn some new tricks. I've actually had compliments on my playing, but I assume it is mostly from people who don't play as I still know that my playing isn't that good, especially when I see you guys play and make it look so effortless.

In feeling like I've reached yet the same plateau, I started watching YouTube and got some good stuff from there, but nothing structured that helped me do any serious learning. Then I considered lessons, but with being a father and holding a job it is difficult to figure out where and when I can go do any actual lessons. I saw an ad one day for online guitar schools and started researching them. Unfortunately when I did my general google search for "online guitar lessons" you guys didn't show up for some reason so I checked out three other schools that did. I wasn't totally sold on any of them and kept digging until I found a forum where someone in there posted something like "what about Kristofer Dahl, that guy is an awesome guitarist and he has his own site" so I looked for you guys since I wasn't totally sold on the top three hits thus far, I figured why not. I've only just joined, but from looking around I really think that you guys at GMC are some really talented musicians who seem to really care about the students, plus I like the fact that you guys weren't all from the states as I was looking for a different culture of guys to work with and man I am really excited to see if this tired old guitarist can learn anything from you guys. Everyone one of you guys are awesome, and the posts from the students makes me wonder if you haven't just rigged it to make me think I can be that good too... wink.gif

Currently I've been told that my style reminds people of a mix of old Kirk Hammett licks with some Billy GIbbons mixed in. I don't actually try to play any type of style, it just happens that the pentatonic was the easiest to learn so that's basically what I have picked up. I really like Bucket Head, but not that I want to sound like him, but I would like to be able to play just whatever comes to mind. I guess I'd like to learn some more scales, but not just scales in terms of where are the notes, but in terms of what scales should or could be used in what type of music. I like the classical/technical licks, but like the idea of throwing in a little of that with some of my bluesy licks for a bit of a mix. I would also like to be able to play some slap guitar as I've seen Christophe Godin play. I'd also love to be able to sweep pick just to say I can do it, plus I can see me throwing that in here and there but man I suck at that. I can't get my fingers to coordinate with each other enough to pull it off.

As a side note, I was an 80's teen so most of my influences came from that era of metal which is not a bad thing, but I hope to expand my knowledge. I found the Dub-step video from Cosmin to be really interesting, and Ben took me back and brushed the dust off with the Kirk Hammett licks. Sinisa's video where he covered several styles in one sitting was really awesome too.... I would keep going but bottom line is all you guys rock and I can't wait to check out as much as I can. I feel like a kid an a candy store!

Anyhow, that's about it I guess. Hope you guys didn't fall asleep..

I currently swap between several guitars, BC Rich Gunslinger with a DiMarzio FRED pickup, Kramer Pacer Classic, Jackson DK2M and DK2S, and my Steinberger when traveling. I also upgraded the bridge pickup in that with a Dimarzio DP102W. I run those through a Digitech RP255 with my old Ibanez soundtank tubescreamer pedal that I kept for 25 years with the MOD to make it perform similar to a TS-808 and Fender Mustang 1 and Fender Super Champ x2 amps.

Thanks guys, and good luck teaching me anything.... I feel like I've been stuck in one place for 25 years.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mroberts70: Sep 17 2012, 06:08 PM

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- mroberts70   Introduction   Sep 17 2012, 06:08 PM
- - Ben Higgins   Hello Mark and welcome to GMC ! I really enjo...   Sep 17 2012, 06:46 PM
|- - mroberts70   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 17 2012, 05:46 P...   Sep 17 2012, 08:14 PM
nnn
- - Ben Higgins   Hi again Mark. I found and set your playlist going...   Sep 17 2012, 09:01 PM
- - Todd Simpson   Welcome! You really have come to the right pla...   Sep 17 2012, 10:46 PM
|- - mroberts70   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 17 2012, 09:46 ...   Sep 18 2012, 06:40 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Sep 18 2012, 06:40 AM...   Sep 18 2012, 09:06 AM
|- - mroberts70   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 18 2012, 08:06 A...   Sep 18 2012, 03:51 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - derper   Welcome Mark! I can relate to much of your st...   Sep 18 2012, 03:22 AM
- - Blister   Hi Mark & welcome to GMC! Great intro. ...   Sep 18 2012, 03:27 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hello Mark! Welcome man! I see you are alr...   Sep 18 2012, 09:56 AM
- - Sinisa Cekic   QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Sep 17 2012, 09:14 PM...   Sep 18 2012, 10:20 AM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   That's a great introduction! Welcome to th...   Sep 19 2012, 03:34 PM
|- - mroberts70   QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 19 2012, 02...   Sep 20 2012, 02:05 PM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Sep 20 2012, 10:05 AM...   Sep 21 2012, 03:49 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Max Sokolov   Hi, Mark! Welcome to GMC! It's great, ...   Sep 20 2012, 07:07 PM
- - mroberts70   QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Sep 20 2012, 06:07 P...   Sep 20 2012, 07:20 PM
- - gregc1   QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Sep 20 2012, 06:20 PM...   Sep 21 2012, 08:51 PM
- - mroberts70   QUOTE (gregc1 @ Sep 21 2012, 07:51 PM) We...   Sep 22 2012, 02:57 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:25 PM