Ngd, Sort Of
Adam
Apr 25 2019, 01:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Some time ago I got a new guitar but soon after I got bad days and didn't feel like enjoying it properly. So I'm sharing it today!

It's my very first 24-fret and it's got a super thin neck. It's very much on par with Ibanez Prestige RG series, I compared them side by side but it's much cheaper due to OEM Floyd bridge. What else can I say? There are DD OEM pickups based on Jazz Neck and JB but I've already found a buyer for those and I'll put in my Merlin Legend set. And it came with a solid flight case that fits my other guitars too. That was a great bargain!

I'm slowly getting used to it but I have no idea about maintenance of FR guitars, so any help will be most appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2019, 08:22 PM
GMC:er
Congrats on your new axe! I don't think I"ve seen it in quick licks or boot camp yet? Are you still getting used to playing it? Is it different in feel than your SG style guitar? Any questions about the floyd, we'd be happy to help smile.gif

I LOVE the floyd for palm muting. It provides a flat surface that does not dig in to the hand unlike most fixed bridges I"ve used. I use a strong mute so it prevents bits from digging in to my hand.

Is it set to float? That can be tricky at first. Some folks "BLOCK" the floyd with a piece of wood to make it a fixed bridge, which sorta wrecks the entire point of having a trem on a guitar. STill, to each his own. I use a lot of tension on my springs so my floyd just barely has a bit of pull back, mostly it's for classic dive bomb stuff, and other techniques. It only goes up about one half step. A fully floating trem goes up more. SOme folks press too hard on the floating trems and push them out of tune. Also they take time to get used to re stringing them. There are tons of vids on youtube on every aspect of it. But please ask anything and we can help smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 25 2019, 08:40 AM) *
Some time ago I got a new guitar but soon after I got bad days and didn't feel like enjoying it properly. So I'm sharing it today!

It's my very first 24-fret and it's got a super thin neck. It's very much on par with Ibanez Prestige RG series, I compared them side by side but it's much cheaper due to OEM Floyd bridge. What else can I say? There are DD OEM pickups based on Jazz Neck and JB but I've already found a buyer for those and I'll put in my Merlin Legend set. And it came with a solid flight case that fits my other guitars too. That was a great bargain!

I'm slowly getting used to it but I have no idea about maintenance of FR guitars, so any help will be most appreciated smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 25 2019, 08:57 PM
Enjoy! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 26 2019, 12:53 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 25 2019, 08:22 PM) *
Congrats on your new axe! I don't think I"ve seen it in quick licks or boot camp yet? Are you still getting used to playing it? Is it different in feel than your SG style guitar? Any questions about the floyd, we'd be happy to help smile.gif

I LOVE the floyd for palm muting. It provides a flat surface that does not dig in to the hand unlike most fixed bridges I"ve used. I use a strong mute so it prevents bits from digging in to my hand.

Is it set to float? That can be tricky at first. Some folks "BLOCK" the floyd with a piece of wood to make it a fixed bridge, which sorta wrecks the entire point of having a trem on a guitar. STill, to each his own. I use a lot of tension on my springs so my floyd just barely has a bit of pull back, mostly it's for classic dive bomb stuff, and other techniques. It only goes up about one half step. A fully floating trem goes up more. SOme folks press too hard on the floating trems and push them out of tune. Also they take time to get used to re stringing them. There are tons of vids on youtube on every aspect of it. But please ask anything and we can help smile.gif
Todd

I think I did one video with it but I'm not sure which one. I'm not even sure if I used it in the end.

It's completely different from both my SG and LP. The biggest difference is the super thin neck that seems to unlock some of my potential and when playing it my hands just go crazy without much effort. Other Samick's models have a thin neck but THIS is a whole new world! The other thing is 24 frets. I only played my brother's Washburn before but its neck is fat and the guitar itself is heavy. It really is hard to find a competitive model below in its price tag.

The FR is locked, the previous owner used some battery wrapped in tape but I'm thinking about changing it for a wood block. I didn't buy it for the trem but for the neck and frets mostly. If I make enough progress to make it worth, I'll maybe get some Gotoh or other as a replacement but I'm perfectly fine with having it locked for now.

I'll have to loosen up the strings to replace the pickups though and I'll probably have some trouble with that. I'll look up tutorials and if I still get stuck, I'll ask here for help smile.gif
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 25 2019, 08:57 PM) *
Enjoy! smile.gif

Thanks! I sure will! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2019, 02:40 AM
The good news is that you have a locking trem for whenever you are ready to start using it. Steve Vai is a just one example of how to add a new dimension to ones playing using the trem. I don't use it very much. But it is handy when doing certain licks that call for it. Until you are ready for it just leave it blocked and it's just like a fixed bridge smile.gif

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 25 2019, 07:53 PM) *
I think I did one video with it but I'm not sure which one. I'm not even sure if I used it in the end.

It's completely different from both my SG and LP. The biggest difference is the super thin neck that seems to unlock some of my potential and when playing it my hands just go crazy without much effort. Other Samick's models have a thin neck but THIS is a whole new world! The other thing is 24 frets. I only played my brother's Washburn before but its neck is fat and the guitar itself is heavy. It really is hard to find a competitive model below in its price tag.

The FR is locked, the previous owner used some battery wrapped in tape but I'm thinking about changing it for a wood block. I didn't buy it for the trem but for the neck and frets mostly. If I make enough progress to make it worth, I'll maybe get some Gotoh or other as a replacement but I'm perfectly fine with having it locked for now.

I'll have to loosen up the strings to replace the pickups though and I'll probably have some trouble with that. I'll look up tutorials and if I still get stuck, I'll ask here for help smile.gif

Thanks! I sure will! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2019, 06:57 AM
GMC Founder
Nice, looks great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 29 2019, 12:05 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 26 2019, 02:40 AM) *
The good news is that you have a locking trem for whenever you are ready to start using it. Steve Vai is a just one example of how to add a new dimension to ones playing using the trem. I don't use it very much. But it is handy when doing certain licks that call for it. Until you are ready for it just leave it blocked and it's just like a fixed bridge smile.gif

Steve Vai is unique in the way he uses the whammy bar, even all the way back to the Crossroads movie. But I'm sure there will come time when my bridge gets unlocked. I just know I would spend all day practicing bomb dives instead of the actual practice, so I didn't even get the taste of it wink.gif
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 26 2019, 06:57 AM) *
Nice, looks great!

Thank you! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 29 2019, 12:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:44 AM