Helix Vs Thu
Mertay
Aug 8 2020, 07:51 PM
GMC:er
I know I'm super late to the party laugh.gif my previous windows had a problem with helix and I never looked back after that, with a new install now I got a chance to compare.

The Helix software is a surprisingly small download, I thought there may be a mistake before installing it smile.gif my immediate impression was its extremely reactive to your playing, I didn't check if it had lower latency but felt like it. But then I looked at the cpu usage and it was way higher...my guess is it may be programmed to cause lower-latency by using extra cpu power.

But compared to THU (I strictly use profiles from rig profile), the tone felt much more processor-like. Line6 has a glossy signature vibe to it on every product I tried and you feel it with Helix too. Then I eq and swapped some ir's and it made a huge difference...no wonder helix owners invested so much to 3rd party ir libraries after its release. Still I'd say not in THU tone territory but when tweaked can get pretty close.

So since it reacts better than THU shredders may prefer Helix for the feel of it. Or if one is ok with the typical line6 tone, which is still musical in a way but not really analog feeling which also made me understand why Demo's were mostly modern-metal tones with helix on youtube.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2020, 10:36 PM
I noticed the same thing. I tried every patch when I downloaded HELIX and then went back to THU. THU responds much more like a real amp imho in terms of playing dynamics. the HELIX plugin finally does good high gain stuff which was lacking in almost all previous line 6 products but it doesn't feel like an amp to me. But everyone has different ears. Some folks probably HATE thu smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2020, 09:58 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
TH-U all the way for me. Obviously I had the Helix and loved it, (I did prefer a lot about the Amplifire though and don't know why that hasn't caught on like the Helix). I tried Native and all I got was pops and crackles which is why I was always a hardware bloke. Then I saw TH-U and tried it and got lots of latency but, I loved the interface and the fact I could add an external pedal (FCB1010) I bought a powerful laptop and it runs sweet. I have since tried Helix Native again and it highlighted to me how much I prefer the TH-U interface.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 9 2020, 10:00 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 9 2020, 09:16 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 9 2020, 08:58 AM) *

Yeah I forgot to mention, with Helix native I had to increase the buffer 1 step higher as I also got crackles. That is due to the high cpu demand of Helix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2020, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 9 2020, 09:16 PM) *
Yeah I forgot to mention, with Helix native I had to increase the buffer 1 step higher as I also got crackles. That is due to the high cpu demand of Helix.

With my old pc when I adjusted it enough to get rid off pops and crackles I got unacceptable latency,i might try it again one day.

I wonder if Amplifire do a Plugin, must check that out, the For The Love Of God patch on that thing was immense.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 10 2020, 01:03 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 9 2020, 09:00 PM) *
I wonder if Amplifire do a Plugin, must check that out, the For The Love Of God patch on that thing was immense.

https://www.studiodevil.com/home/index.php

Was really nice at the time but haven't been updated for many years unfortunately. Only amp-sim. I tested till now and would prefer today would be THU (profiles, new stuff comes along regularly) or Mercuriall (didn't like the mesa but others are cool).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2020, 01:51 AM
I meant to reply to this before but could not find a good video demo that was recent. It seems this plugin has been mostly unchanged for about 10 years. The good news is that it has a very low CPU requirement as it's meant for machines about a decade old. Sadly, it sounds a pinch dated in spots.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 10 2020, 08:03 AM) *

Was really nice at the time but haven't been updated for many years unfortunately. Only amp-sim. I tested till now and would prefer today would be THU (profiles, new stuff comes along regularly) or Mercuriall (didn't like the mesa but others are cool).

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 20 2020, 08:20 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 10 2020, 01:03 PM) *

I actually meant it would be good if they did a plugin of THIS like Helix did with Native. I was impressed with this unit and I think the hype and the eye candy got me to swap it for the Helix LT, I have to admit to being slightly disappointed when the Helix LT came. Looking at it now, I'm getting GAS for the first time in a long time. One thing that would have improved it IMHO is either having motorised knobs to match the onscreen editor (too expensive) or unmarked digital knobs that can keep turning so that they were set at the same as the editor. As it was I think if you altered the knob on the editor, the physical knob didn't alter until it matched the position of the onscreen one, I think I light came on to notify you of this, it was a bit of a quirk that I didn't like. I might, just for fun, look for a used one of THESE on eBay smile.gif

Remember THIS? I'm loving those tones again, got that raw quality about them, kinda like a live quality. There's a great video from Andertons a couple of posts below that one.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2020, 09:27 PM
Now and then, it's a good thing to give in to gas and just get some new gear smile.gif New gear is always a fun thing and always something to look forward to. Sometimes, you find a piece you keep forever, sometimes it's just a one night stand. Either way I always love getting a new bit of kit wink.gif Even a small thing can be fun. I had a great time with the little black start fly 3 when I put some pedals in front of it. It's not a great amp. By itself, it sounds kinda terrible. Still, it was loads of fun.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 20 2020, 09:46 PM
Not too bad with pedals. Did you revisit THESE tones buddy?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 20 2020, 09:27 PM) *
Now and then, it's a good thing to give in to gas and just get some new gear smile.gif New gear is always a fun thing and always something to look forward to. Sometimes, you find a piece you keep forever, sometimes it's just a one night stand. Either way I always love getting a new bit of kit wink.gif Even a small thing can be fun. I had a great time with the little black start fly 3 when I put some pedals in front of it. It's not a great amp. By itself, it sounds kinda terrible. Still, it was loads of fun.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2020, 12:32 AM
The amplifire 12! I gotta say it sounds way better to my ears than the original amplire. I wonder if they changed the core sound engine or something? is that the one that you sold a while back? It seems that the guts are the same on both. Maybe the presets are just better on the 12? I remember thinking the 6 and the plugin were a pinch fizzy on high gain. But the 12 sounds seemed a bit more realistic. Again, may just better programing on the patches?

If you look in LEONS rack over to the right you'll see a MYASNIKOV super lead rack unit. I noticed it as well and emailed him about it and come to find out he saw one of my vids about the unit and liked it so he went and got one.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 20 2020, 04:46 PM) *
Not too bad with pedals. Did you revisit THESE tones buddy?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 21 2020, 12:40 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 21 2020, 09:12 AM
It's all in the fingers mate cool.gif cool.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, the Helix came out just inside the return window for Andertons so I made a leap of faith. I'd forgotten how much I liked the stock tones until I found that thread.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 21 2020, 12:32 AM) *
The amplifire 12! I gotta say it sounds way better to my ears than the original amplire. I wonder if they changed the core sound engine or something?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 22 2020, 11:58 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2020, 08:02 PM
The stock tones on the 12 sure sound better than I remember the plugin or the 6 sounding. It must be the magic fingers!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 21 2020, 04:12 AM) *
It's all in the fingers mate cool.gif cool.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, the Helix came out just inside the return window fur Andertons so I made a leap of faith. I'd forgotten how much I liked the stock tones until I found that thread.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:10 AM