2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I've Got The Itch Again ..., AC2 is go!
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 16 2009, 06:18 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I learned a lot from building the AC1 but it was intended to be a beginners build and was never my final goal tonewise, as it was really mostly a blues amp. I am now ready for new challenges and have decided to build an amp that will take me into the classic rock era. I will be building an "October" amp - another design associated with AX84.com and as I did before, to save a lot of effort I will be buying a kit from here:

http://www.chappellamps.com/amplifiers/october/october.html

With a little luck the wife will let me get this for Christmas - as you may have read in my blog, I have the woodwork skills of an insane squirrel, so I am also planning on getting the optional hardwood case for it!

I am hoping this plus a my Keeley Modded TubeScreamer will get me all the gain options I need, but I am not ruling out the possibility of an AC3 which will be a high gain model!

I will go for the studio model since I mostly record these days, but if I ever go out on the road and like this amp maybe I'll also build the club or stage versions as well!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 16 2009, 06:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
That would be great! I have always kicked around the idea of building a guitar kit...but they are all such low quality guitars when you are done. I wish there was a kit that left you with a guitar you actually wanted to play! I have thought about truely building one...but I don't have the woodworking skills or tools for that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 16 2009, 06:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Those amp kits look great Andrew, and the sound clips sound really warm. Even the wood is beautiful smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Boson
Oct 16 2009, 06:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 16 2009, 07:18 PM) *
I learned a lot from building the AC1 but it was intended to be a beginners build and was never my final goal tonewise, as it was really mostly a blues amp. I am now ready for new challenges and have decided to build an amp that will take me into the classic rock era. I will be building an "October" amp - another design associated with AX84.com and as I did before, to save a lot of effort I will be buying a kit from here:

http://www.chappellamps.com/amplifiers/october/october.html

With a little luck the wife will let me get this for Christmas - as you may have read in my blog, I have the woodwork skills of an insane squirrel, so I am also planning on getting the optional hardwood case for it!

I am hoping this plus a my Keeley Modded TubeScreamer will get me all the gain options I need, but I am not ruling out the possibility of an AC3 which will be a high gain model!

I will go for the studio model since I mostly record these days, but if I ever go out on the road and like this amp maybe I'll also build the club or stage versions as well!

They look great kits Andrew. smile.gif

I absolutely love this tone from one of their amps

http://www.chappellamps.com/amplifiers/4-4...4-4-0_Clean.mp3

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 16 2009, 06:50 PM
Instructor
Awesome man!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 16 2009, 07:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
Very cool Andrew, now U got me thinking... Have You tried one of those "live", what Do You think of matching speakers to this? We have a company here in Sweden that sells kits as well, I suppose they are imported from the states though:
http://shop.gmf.se/group.htm?category_id=4520

They sells kits of the JTM 45 as well as an 18 W version and a Fender Tweed kit.
The page is in Swedish, the conversion is about 8 kr = 1 dollar. In my opinion these kits seems to be a little expensive... Anyway, Im pretty good with a soldering iron, is it very tricky to build an amp by Yourself ??? (I believe there is a lot of money to save here, or am I wrong?)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 16 2009, 07:33 PM
GMC Founder
You little squirrel there laugh.gif

Can't wait to hear it - if it sounds good I'll order one from the squirrel factory ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Oct 16 2009, 07:45 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 16 2009, 08:33 PM) *
You little squirrel there laugh.gif

Can't wait to hear it - if it sounds good I'll order one from the squirrel factory ph34r.gif

What a great name for a new brand "Squirrel Amps"" laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 16 2009, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Boson @ Oct 16 2009, 01:45 PM) *
They look great kits Andrew. smile.gif

I absolutely love this tone from one of their amps

http://www.chappellamps.com/amplifiers/4-4...4-4-0_Clean.mp3

Yes, I looked at this one too - this is higher gain, it has an additional preamp stage, but I thought the October looked more versatile and better for classic rock sounds - I also hope it will sound good clean, although the clip you posted sounded good clean too!

QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 16 2009, 02:29 PM) *
In my opinion these kits seems to be a little expensive... Anyway, Im pretty good with a soldering iron, is it very tricky to build an amp by Yourself ??? (I believe there is a lot of money to save here, or am I wrong?)

Its not too hard to build a tube amp from a kit if you already have soldering skills - if anything its easier than soldering circuit boards. However, don't expect to save money doing it yourself, expect to get higher quality construction though wink.gif

QUOTE (Boson @ Oct 16 2009, 02:45 PM) *
What a great name for a new brand "Squirrel Amps"" laugh.gif

Hmm, you could have something there - does Squirrel Amps sound better than Cockburn amps? I might be persuaded!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 16 2009, 11:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 16 2009, 09:00 PM) *
However, don't expect to save money doing it yourself, expect to get higher quality construction though wink.gif

Hmmm, a Plexi-Marshall stack will cost about 10.000 $ reissued, and I've seen some Plexi heads around for about 5000$, even a early 70's head goes for about 2500$ (at least). The same goes for the vintage Deluxe's, they are horrible expensive...
If one can build practically the same amp(s) for around 1200$, thats a lot of money to save, or maybe I'm wrong ???

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 16 2009, 11:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 17 2009, 12:08 AM) *
Hmmm, a Plexi-Marshall stack will cost about 10.000 $ reissued, and I've seen some Plexi heads around for about 5000$, even a early 70's head goes for about 2500$ (at least). The same goes for the vintage Deluxe's, they are horrible expensive...
If one can build practically the same amp(s) for around 1200$, thats a lot of money to save, or maybe I'm wrong ???

//Staffay

In addition to that, Plexi Reissue has PCB board, and components are not of the same quality, although they are very expensive. People often replace the whole board with DIY kits available out there to upgrade them (costs even more).

Buying DIY kit can prove lot cheaper and better looking as well. You can make it identical to original amp as well, everything except the plate (who looks in the back anyways! cool.gif )

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 17 2009, 01:40 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Anybody heard of Squirrel Amplification coming out of the Northeastern part of the United states? I hear they are top notch! cool.gif

Gotta get my hands on one!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 17 2009, 07:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 16 2009, 09:00 PM) *
does Squirrel Amps sound better than Cockburn amps? I might be persuaded!

Uhm... No unsure.gif I'd stick with AC

Sounds like a cool project smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 17 2009, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 16 2009, 08:00 PM) *
does Squirrel Amps sound better than Cockburn amps? I might be persuaded!

Absolutely!!
I'll endorse you!!!

"HI, I'm Sensible and I play Squirrel Amps cos I'm NUTS!!!!"
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 17 2009, 08:05 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 17 2009, 02:58 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Boson
Oct 17 2009, 09:26 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 17 2009, 08:58 PM) *

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 18 2009, 11:24 PM
Hmm, it might just work - the AC2 from Squirrel Amplification ...

I would need some kind of squirrely logo to etch onto the nameplate of course but it might just work ...

@Staffy - at those kinds of prices, yes, it is a lot cheaper!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 19 2009, 08:08 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 19 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Hmm, it might just work - the AC2 from Squirrel Amplification ...

I would need some kind of squirrely logo to etch onto the nameplate of course but it might just work ...

And your trademark could be to make the carrying handle our of a real squirrel's tail.

Add a note; no squirrels were killed or inj... not killed during the making of this amp

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 23 2009, 06:10 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 19 2009, 03:08 AM) *
And your trademark could be to make the carrying handle our of a real squirrel's tail.

Add a note; no squirrels were killed or inj... not killed during the making of this amp

Sounds like a plan biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 23 2009, 06:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 19 2009, 09:08 AM) *

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:40 AM