New Old Guitar
Scott Gentzen
Nov 4 2007, 04:35 AM
GMC:er
Almost 1 year ago I won a guitar and figured I should learn to play it. I bought an amp and haven't really bought any other gear since. I've been able to keep Gear Acquisition Syndrome ay bay with the reasoning that unless I get good at playing, I really have no reason to spend money on stuff.

But there was one little thought nagging thing in the back of my mind...at some point when I see the band that gave me the guitar, I'm going want them to sign it and I'm probably not going to want to play it anymore and risk messing it up. So there's been this little voice in my head saying that I should get another guitar.

I'll skip the research details for now. But I did buy a new guitar last week. Well, an old new guitar.

This is a 1984 Ibanez Roadstar II RS-440. It's a little banged up but the important stuff's in good shape. Just need to track down a couple replacement parts (whammy bar and the working parts for the locking nut). In the late 80's, these evolved into the RG series. They're not as sought-after as 70's Ibanez guitars, so they don't have vintage/collector prices yet, even for the pristine ones, which mine isn't. Sometimes "vintage" doesn't need to mean "expensive"

When I get some more playing time on it, I'll try to put something in the review section.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Nov 4 2007, 05:15 AM
Awesome, looks like a good acquisition. Would be great to see more pics of it! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 4 2007, 05:57 AM
Nice, looks pretty sweet.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 4 2007, 12:01 PM
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Nov 4 2007, 04:15 AM) *
Awesome, looks like a good acquisition. Would be great to see more pics of it! smile.gif

Will do. Next week I'll be taking the covers off the back for the trem springs and the electronics. Still trying to figure out how the bridge works. I need to look at the electrical connections...the 5-way switch is a little flakey and I need to work out if it's a switch problem or connection problem.

Also at some point, next string change, I'm going to take apart everything I can and give it all a good clean/polish.

While I work on it, I'll be taking pictures along the way. Will post them when I get a gear review together.

Oh, and I'm quite happy with the sound too. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 4 2007, 12:37 PM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 3 2007, 10:57 PM) *
Nice, looks pretty sweet.

yeah, looks really cool,.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Nov 4 2007, 06:03 PM
Instructor
Looks really good, congratulations wink.gif

+Quote Post
rhcpandy
Nov 5 2007, 07:07 PM
looks really good, i really like your guitar smile.gif
it has a floating bridge right?

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 6 2007, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (rhcpandy @ Nov 5 2007, 06:07 PM) *
looks really good, i really like your guitar smile.gif
it has a floating bridge right?

Not sure. It looks like it, but when you get up close, it doesn't look like anymore. The manual says it's "dual action" so I'm assuming it'll pull up somehow but the whammy bar was missing so I can't really try it out til I get out and get a replacement.

It definitely doesn't float like your typical Floyd Rose style bridge. I can make Edge bridges wobble by pressing on it with my pick hand without the whammy bar. The bridge on the new guitar is solid as a brick. It might be kinda like the Kahler style bridges. Will try to work it out this week. I might end up having to take some pictures early.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 6 2007, 04:24 AM
So what was the guitar you won a year ago? and what band?

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 7 2007, 12:59 AM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Nov 6 2007, 03:24 AM) *
So what was the guitar you won a year ago? and what band?

The band's called Otto's Daughter. They're kind of an industrial/metal band out of LA.

They did a promo near the end of last year where if you pre-ordered their new EP, you'd get a signed copy, some other stuff and get entered to win a guitar. I like sighed stuff, so I pre-ordered. Then I won the guitar. Never picked up a guitar before really, so that's what got me playing. The details are on their MySpace page if you're curious. The videos of them packing it up are kinda funny.

The guitar's interesting. It's a Daisy Rock Dark Star Custom. The one with the matte black with a pink star on it (kinda matches the vibe of the band actually). All of Dasdy Rock's guitars are marketed as 'girl guitars' but this one's not too bad.

It's an interesting guitar. I've never really posted much about it because I've never played another guitar so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Les Paul shape. 22 frets, 24 3/4" scale. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard. 8-ish lbs, good balance. Strings go through the body like a Telecaster over a tune-o-matic bridge. It has a pair of those common "Duncan Designed" pickups coil-tapped. The neck's small-ish at 1-9/16" at the nut.

I like it...it feels good. It doesn't sound as bright as the Roadstar does, but it has some character.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chast
Nov 7 2007, 01:24 AM
Learning Roadie
I never thought I would have to post this here tongue.gif
But Daisy Rock made one of the ugliest guitars I have ever seen:
http://www.daisyrock.com/products/daisy/d_shortScale.htm

On the picture it looks "quite" good, but I saw it in real...^^
Sorry for offtopic wink.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 7 2007, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (chast @ Nov 7 2007, 12:24 AM) *
I never thought I would have to post this here tongue.gif
But Daisy Rock made one of the ugliest guitars I have ever seen:
http://www.daisyrock.com/products/daisy/d_shortScale.htm

On the picture it looks "quite" good, but I saw it in real...^^
Sorry for offtopic wink.gif

S'ok, I started it. tongue.gif

Yeah, the flower and the butterfly ones are pretty bad. But they're doing what they think they can do to get girls playing which can't be a bad thing.

And they have a new series that's made in America with pretty good hardware (Sperzel locking tuners, real Duncan SH-1 and SH-4) to get something in a class above the beginner/intermediate level.

http://www.daisyrock.com/products/rockcandy/rc_pinklabel.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:55 PM