Scary Right Hand
29a
Mar 9 2009, 01:42 AM
GMC:er
Ok, the title might be a bit misleading but it's the best I could come up with. I noticed a very strange thing today. In order to improve my picking and sweeping I watched my right hand while playing guitar. Now what I noticed is that I didn't control my right hand anymore huh.gif Just whenever I fretted a note with my left hand my right hand picked it like it was remote controlled. Even string skipping seems to work quite well. That scared me quite a bit huh.gif

Did you guys notice that too? Is this normal and a good thing or does it mean I've spent to much time focusing on my left hand?

Jonas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 9 2009, 02:07 AM
Learning Roadie
The right hand should be on autopilot I think. It's a good thing, I'm still working on it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Mar 9 2009, 08:15 AM
GMC:er
You either have a strange and rare case of right-body neglect due to a severe lesion on your left hemisphere. Or alternatively, your corpus callosum was cut with surgical precision. Did you fall down any stairs lately? tongue.gif

Or, far more likely, the task has become so routine and monotonous to you that you can pretty much do it whilst in a 'highway trance' - not having to pay the slightest bit of overt attention. The only way you do have to regain focus is when you screw up that routine somewhere and have to return attention to the right hand to fix it.

Edit - this is not me speaking as a guitarist, because I don't have the slightest clue about how advanced players experience this.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Mar 9 2009, 10:47 AM

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Mar 9 2009, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Its quite normal, but at the same time it occurs to me that you need to learn some new patterns. Obviously, as you grow more accustomed to complex patterns the learning curve will tend to be much much less.

But, that being said maybe changing some things would make it that much better and more versatile. For instance something that i myself have been doing for a few days is picking the licks i know starting with an unfamilar stroke.

It really makes you pause for example doing a 6 note ascending pattern starting on an upstroke. The first hour i did it really had to concentrate on getting my string transistions down. I kept doubling up notes cause i was used to doing it the other way.

Its getting easier, and i also find i am learning some new rhythmic groupings as a side benefit which makes your lick bag a little deeper which really enhances your improv skills.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:09 PM