Ditech The Line6 Pod X3 Live And Get Me A Zoom R16, or?
Gear update
Upcoming new vote on gear...
Get a haircut and a soap wash [ 2 ] ** [25.00%]
Keep the POD [ 6 ] ** [75.00%]
Total Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
MickeM
Sep 5 2009, 12:11 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Here's the Zoom R16

So in another thread I was on the look for a loop station, it was suggested the Boss BR-600 digital studio and I've always been keen on the idea of having a portable digital studio for catching ideas and possibly make full demo songs.
And after that I transfer to the computer and finish/rerecord the song there.

Why complicate things? Yeah, well, I never found the computer to be a teriffic recording device in the means of ease of use and getting the recordings down fast. I rather record to some other device and then transfer to the computer for mixing. May seem odd but that's just how I feel.

Right now I have a POD X3 Live as my sound interface, it's not ideal but it contains everything I need to make simple recordings. But for better guitar sound I will have to mike or line my Blackstar HT5 anyway.
With that in mind it'd be better to just have a small sound interface with the right connections and a portable studio for the first recordings.
Looking at the Zoom R16 it's both a sound interface and a digital recording studio, on top of that 8 inputs for simultanious recording.

Hence I'm thinking the Zoom would be more useful to myself as I prefer the recorded sound from the Blackstar HT5 over the amp models in the POD anyway.
But I'd lose a lot too since I've been quite happy with the POD X3's capability to record guitar/bass and vocals rather well. And get the POD farm for free. I never been this satisfied and pleased with a product from Line6 before but rather thought they were blood suckers with all the expensive addons, while with the X3 everything came included and later the POD Farm came for free.
So as a soundinterface it has everything I need, but I never use it for live performances and I thought the sound I get from preamp or direct input to an amp sucks.
With the Zoom I'd lose them Line6 amp simulations and effects though it has quite some built in aswell. I'd have to move the Zoom between where I'd sit and record to it's digital studio part and then plug into the computer when I need it as a soundinterface again. A little bit of a hassle.

This is what I'm thinking.
I'll sit down comfortable, away from the computer, with the Zoom digital recorder and get my ideas down. Possibly with a cool drum machine since the Zoom lacks a built in ditto. What happens after that is a bit unclear, I either transfer it to the computer for finalizing since I suspect cutting, moving, pasting in the zoom is more difficult than in the computer.
In some way I suppose I would record with the Blackstar HT5 but if that's in a rerecording phase on the computer or directly into the Zoom in the first phase idk, time will tell. I never worked with a digital studio like that before so I don't know.

I'd appreciate some input to support my desicion. smile.gif
I would just hate to see the POD and later find that the Zoom was all wrong for me.
And don't forget to vote wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:38 PM