2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Favorite Lyricists, And Why?
The Uncreator
Feb 24 2008, 05:24 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So what are your guys favorite lyricists, and why?

First and foremost, mine is Steve Harris (and everyone in maiden), because they have such a unique way of writing that gives incredible amounts of vivid details, and the choice of words is exceptional, And they paint a beautiful (Or terrifying) picture!!

Another one would be King Diamond, his stories are not only brilliant, but his sometimes mundane words are turned into massive pictures to strike fear in your soul!!

Mikael Akerfeldt, for being completely original, terrifyingly vivid, and really just.....Bringing his songs to life with his words.

Lastly, i must mention Tuomas Holopainen, one thing that fascinates me is that no one in Nightwish except him actually know what his songs are about, which leaves it open to many interpretations. And his lyrics dive so deep into the soul, you feel all the pain, joy, or sorrow there is, i think these lyrics sum him up perfectly, taken from Nightwish's song "Beauty Of The Beast".

'All of my songs,
Can only be composed of
The greatest of pains

Every single verse
Can only be part of
The greatest of wishes'

Some of my favorites lyrics ever.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Feb 24 2008, 05:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 24 2008, 05:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well I have quite a few favorite lyricists. Steve Harris being one of them. smile.gif I also really enjoy Ronnie Van Zant's lyrics (Lynyrd Skynyrd). 2 others whos lyrics I realy like would be Klaus Meine (Scorpions) and Neil Young. smile.gif Ahh theres too many to mention. I might as well mention Triumph too as they all wrote the lyrics smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Feb 24 2008, 05:59 AM
GMC:er
ive got a couple of favorites here

Mikael Akerfeldt obviously.. opeth has the greatest lyrics along with the way they are presented make it some seriously strong stuff

Porcupine tree have also written alot of music that really amazes me.. i can't begin to describe.. this is one band that i have not done any research into for the sheer purpose of as long as the band remains a mystery the music is all i will care about.. the lyrics in these songs ( i don't know which member writes them ) really inspire me smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 24 2008, 06:40 AM
Neil Peart is a pretty good lyricist.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 24 2008, 01:27 PM
mine would be Ronnie James Dio, i always thought his lyrics were amazing, and Bob Dylan.
Edit: gotta mention Neil young too, one of my favorite musicians ever.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Feb 24 2008, 01:27 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 24 2008, 01:35 PM
Øystein Sunde.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Feb 24 2008, 07:31 PM
I agree with Smikey, Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steven Wilson.

Mikael Åkerfeldt because his lyrics are so perfect, I can't decribe it more. I mean, what's more epic than "Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark, The sun sets forever over Blackwater park"

And Steven Wilson for how I think he could write an amazing song about nothing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Feb 24 2008, 08:54 PM
Instructor
Jim Morrison!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Duncan
Feb 26 2008, 06:35 PM
Jason Cruz from Strung Out is probably my favourite lyricist ever. I find Strung Out's later stuff to be thought provoking and inspiring. As well as being awesome.

Lines like (all Strung Out songs):

"Imagine a place where freedoms just a word on the wall" - Blueprint of the Fall

"Cause we've been asleep too long, with no real answer to how it got this far. Tonight I will not close my eyes. How can we ever sleep again?" - War Called Home

"I know there's something going on with my perception, see the same face in every new direction" - All The Nations

"We are frequency, we are tradgedy, we are the love" - Analog

"The wings that take this sparrow break with this weight of mine. Another message lost straight from this heart of mine." - Calling

"You’re the last hint of self control, my last chance just walked out the door." - Her Name In Blood

"Hold on please don't forget me when I'm gone, cause I forgot why I ever left at all. Why I ever left at all." - Letter Home

"I believe you earn your soul. Gotta feel the pain to grow." - Mission Statement (the whole song is fantastic, and the most inspiring to me. It's about it not being too late to save ourselves)

"To never have to speak again, to never say your name again. To never tell another lie. To live in the honesty of the eyes" - Never Speak Again

"And I've been asleep a lifetime just to wake in time to find. The voice that has been speaking for me is no voice of mine" - No Voice Of Mine

I could go on forever really.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 26 2008, 06:37 PM
Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth comes up with some really awesome powermetalish lyrics.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Mark.
Feb 26 2008, 06:52 PM
Ummm

Ofcourse Mikael Åkerfeldt, Neil Young and Hansi Kürsch ( Blind Guardian Ftw tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 07:58 PM
My favourite is Eddie Vedder and especially the song Black by Pearl Jam. The line "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody elses sky, but why can't it be mine"

Others I love include Kurt Cobain and Townes Van Zandt

Another favourite lyrically is Masters of War by Bob Dylan

"I'll watch as you're lowered into your death bed and I'll stand over your grave till I'm sure that you're dead"

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 26 2008, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 01:58 PM) *
Another favourite lyrically is Masters of War by Bob Dylan

"I'll watch as you're lowered into your death bed and I'll stand over your grave till I'm sure that you're dead"

one of my favorite songs ever, bob dylan is an excellent songwriter.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
erik
Feb 26 2008, 08:15 PM
I'm not shure who writes for Gojira, maybe it's the vocalist Joe Duplantier. Anyway, Gojira's lyrics are so cool, I love how they presents the global issues such as global warming etc. I also think James Hetfield from Metallica writes awsome lyrics, but I have kind of grown tired of their music.

edit: yep, it's Joe who writes for Gojira

This post has been edited by erik: Feb 26 2008, 08:16 PM

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 26 2008, 08:35 PM
Another of my favorite songwriters is Dave Mustaine. he covers topics like war and politics with a cynical and personal view.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
albino
Feb 27 2008, 01:08 PM
Morrisey in the Smiths; sometimes depressing but often hilarious...For Example...
"I fell down on the crossbar and the pain was enough to make a shy bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass-murder" [Song; "Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before"]
"writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxemburg" [Song; "Ask"]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 27 2008, 02:46 PM
Instructor
My favorite, right now.... Kris Dahl rolleyes.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 27 2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation. That guy can WRITE

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 27 2008, 05:01 PM
I tend to pay more attention to the music but Robb Flynn, for the more serious reasons, Mastodon for monsters, Mikael Akerfeldt for being awesome, and Devin Townsend for being the coolest dude ever.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 1 2008, 07:02 PM
My favorite lyricists are Humberto Gessinger (Engenheiros do Hawaii) and Renato Russo (Legião Urbana). Though these 2 bands are really famous in Brazil it is hard to explain the rest of the world what these bands are really about. Well, i guess I know 100% of their lyrics (and they have lots of albums )
Just as a very very small sample, 2 phrases:

"You who has such modern ideas, is the same man who lived on the caves." (Humberto Gessinger). Comment - Genetically we are still the same... What changed? We are so proud of ourselves, but we do not realize what we really are.
"One shall love people as if there were no tomorrow, because if you really think about that, there is not" (Renato Russo) Comment - Carpe Diem, my friend. Life is very short to waste time fighting other people.

This post has been edited by Gus: Mar 1 2008, 07:08 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:02 PM