How To Identify Modes Easily, confused about it all
MyNinjaWay
Jul 25 2008, 05:24 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

basically... I'm new to this whole theory thing... and I see lots of differences in the way instructors have their scales represented on their lessons.
for instance some have a box type diagram which is reasonably simple and others have nearly like a full fretboard of notes and it looks so confusing like how can you ever make a scale out of all that... (do I just play any of the notes from the ones shown?) back to the main topic...I notice the root notes scattered throughout, but they're really for keys ha? not to I.D. if its a phrygian or a lydian or a something else...
so... my question is... what are the identifying features of the modes which make them stand out from one another...

lol, hope this isn't a really dumb question and I hope someone out there understands my rambling...
thanks for reading... hope you's can help

-tom

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 25 2008, 05:30 PM
QUOTE (MyNinjaWay @ Jul 25 2008, 06:24 PM) *
Hi all,

basically... I'm new to this whole theory thing... and I see lots of differences in the way instructors have their scales represented on their lessons.
for instance some have a box type diagram which is reasonably simple and others have nearly like a full fretboard of notes and it looks so confusing like how can you ever make a scale out of all that... (do I just play any of the notes from the ones shown?) back to the main topic...I notice the root notes scattered throughout, but they're really for keys ha? not to I.D. if its a phrygian or a lydian or a something else...
so... my question is... what are the identifying features of the modes which make them stand out from one another...

lol, hope this isn't a really dumb question and I hope someone out there understands my rambling...

-tom

This is not a dumb question at all...I also wonder this sometimes...I understood the whole theory stuff also ...but I am still sometimes unsure about the typical sound of a mode or how to identify it..
If you have for example the d- dorian mode..it has the same notes as the c ionian (major) mode...and if you just see the notes you cannot say if it is the c major or d dorian based...it is all about the chords which are played in the context which make the typical mode sound I think...as if you construct a triad with the notes of the scale beginning from D you already get a different chord (minor) than you would get if you began contructing a chord from C...and the difference is that the tonal center is built around D at not C...?!?!..So I just want to connect myself to your question
But I am also excited what our experts say about this...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 25 2008, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 25 2008, 05:46 PM
Instructor
The best way to learn it is to practice all seven modes all over the fretboard in one key for example, and memorize where the notes are. You don't have to memorize C D E F etc, you memorize only I II III IV V VI an VII. Then you will know where each modes starts and ends.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 25 2008, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 25 2008, 06:46 PM) *
The best way to learn it is to practice all seven modes all over the fretboard in one key for example, and memorize where the notes are. You don't have to memorize C D E F etc, you memorize only I II III IV V VI an VII. Then you will know where each modes starts and ends.

But how can I identify the distinct sound of a mode? If I play D-Dorian scale it doesn't sound already Dorian Like does it?Do I have to put some chords over it?

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jul 25 2008, 06:10 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Here's a good exercise to get your ear in tune with the modes.

Learn each of these modes on the high E string only:

E ionian 0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12
E dorian 0-2-3-5-7-9-10-12
E phrygian 0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12
E Lydian 0-2-4-6-7-9-11-12
E mixolydian 0-2-4-5-7-9-10-12
E aeolian 0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12
E locrian 0-1-3-5-6-8-10-12

The play each of them up and down while letting the low E string ring out.

You'll be compaing each mode against the sound of the low E string ringing out- and this should give you a good starting point for hearing the modes.

Also try to just weave in and out of each mode- jumble up the order instead of playing each one in order. Keep striking the low E whenever it stops ringing out.

Also, try to create some ideas and melodies using each mode instead of just going up and down!

Hope that helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Jul 26 2008, 12:36 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 25 2008, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nighthawk @ Jul 25 2008, 06:50 PM) *
But how can I identify the distinct sound of a mode? If I play D-Dorian scale it doesn't sound already Dorian Like does it?Do I have to put some chords over it?

Spot on!

Play Dm chord few times,
then play D Dorian,listen to it
and then play Dm scale per example.
Both are minor modes and you WILL hear the difference. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 25 2008, 06:12 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jul 25 2008, 07:10 PM) *
Here's a good exercise to get your ear in tune with the modes.

Learn each of these modes on the high E string only:

E ionian 0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12
E dorian 0-2-3-5-7-9-11-12
E phrygian 0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12
E Lydian 0-2-4-6-7-9-11-12
E mixolydian 0-2-4-5-7-9-10-12
E aeolian 0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12
E locrian 0-1-3-5-6-8-10-12

The play each of them up and down while letting the low E string ring out.

You'll be compaing each mode against the sound of the low E string ringing out- and this should give you a good starting point for hearing the modes.

Also try to just weave in and out of each mode- jumble up the order instead of playing each one in order. Keep striking the low E whenever it stops ringing out.

Also, try to create some ideas and melodies using each mode instead of just going up and down!

Hope that helps smile.gif

Thanks a lot I try this one out ! and thanks also for your comment Muris I will try this as well!

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 25 2008, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 25 2008, 06:14 PM
Instructor
Great explanation DR! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 25 2008, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (MyNinjaWay @ Jul 25 2008, 06:24 PM) *
Hi all,

-tom

You need to experiment with it in a musical context. it doesn't help alot knowing the theory to truly identify it.

Don't be confused with scales, they are just 7 notes. Remember taht the guitar has many octaves, and strings, therefore you make patterns out of the 7 same notes. Check out Andrew's lesson on the Major scale and on its chords, and it will help you understand alot!

My advice is don't start with modal expressions just yet.

+Quote Post
MyNinjaWay
Jul 26 2008, 04:18 AM
Wow, thanks alot for the feedback everyone! I will definitely try to take on board eveything that you have said and ...yes... hopefully it starts to make a bit more sense for me.
Thanks again for your help... hehehe this site it soOOOOoo coooooool! ^___^

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jul 26 2008, 12:14 PM
Instructor
Hi MyNinjaWay,
you can take a look also to my Modes workout lesson to practice all modes starting from the same root, so you can hear the difference easily.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
MyNinjaWay
Jul 27 2008, 05:42 AM
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Jul 26 2008, 07:14 PM) *
Hi MyNinjaWay,
you can take a look also to my Modes workout lesson to practice all modes starting from the same root, so you can hear the difference easily.

hey yeah I've taken a quick look at your lesson and it looks very helpful. thanks man!! I'll put some study into it tonight ;-)

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jul 27 2008, 08:32 AM
Instructor
Great smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:36 AM