2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pod Farm And Latency
lcsdds
Apr 11 2009, 03:50 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
So I am running Pod Farm through my UX1 and using garageband to record. I am getting quite a bit of latency though.....is this normal or is this a matter of fixing a setting somewhere? Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 04:02 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have found POD Farm to be a pain in the butt to record with.

The tones just don't record like you hear them when you are jamming. I'm not familiar with Garage Band but you can adjust the driver Latency for the UX1 from Control Panel if you’re using a Windows operating system on your laptop.

If it is a MAC I don't know how to help.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 11 2009, 04:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 11 2009, 04:02 AM) *
I have found POD Farm to be a pain in the butt to record with.

The tones just don't record like you hear them when you are jamming. I'm not familiar with Garage Band but you can adjust the driver Latency for the UX1 from Control Panel if you’re using a Windows operating system on your laptop.

If it is a MAC I don't know how to help.

I'm just gonna go straight from my spider amp then. I never understood latency before...now I do. mad.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 04:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
GearBox software works fine. Install that (you can download it from Line6) and try one of the patches I sent you. You'll probably have to tweak it for your guitar some though. I have decided to stick with that using the UX1 for now till they work the bugs out

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Apr 11 2009, 04:24 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 11 2009, 04:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 11 2009, 04:20 AM) *
GearBox software works fine. I have decided to stick with that with the UX1 for now till they work the bugs out

I don't have gearbox unfortunately. can you download it do you know?

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 04:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes, just go to Line6 and download it. It should of came with your UX1. Install the original CD that came with your UX1 and then run Line6 monkey and it will update everything for you bro.

Or just go to the website and download it.

If you don't have the CD that came with your UX1 then you probably don't have the correct driver installed. This may be your problem.

There is also a newer driver on there web-site which works really nice.

Try this link

http://line6.com/software/index.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 11 2009, 04:38 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
On my old computer with under a gig of ram, it was horrible, even with gearbox. My newer machine has 3 gigs and have no problem with it. biggrin.gif

You guys hating on the Farm, tbh, I find the tones much better than gearbox, especially when you tweak a dual tone and get cascading effects.

Monte, have you ever tried using Reaper as your DAW?

EDIT: And you guys are Tone Seekers.. laugh.gif wink.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by skennington: Apr 11 2009, 04:40 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 04:46 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Not hating on the Farm bro! I just don't find it as reliable as Gearbox even though the duel amp feature is cool.

I only have 1gig of ram in my system and everything works fine even when I am recording video at the same time.

Of course more ram (memory) is always better.

QUOTE (skennington @ Apr 10 2009, 11:38 PM) *
EDIT: And you guys are Tone Seekers.. laugh.gif wink.gif smile.gif

And your not yet wink.gif laugh.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 11 2009, 04:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks dudes.....I'll try all that and be back to bug you if it doesn't work.

Skenny.....I've never tried to use reaper. I am gonna go with either Logic or Sonar. I am really itching to start recording my own stuff so this recording stuff is something I really gotta start focusing on. Unfortunately.....if it don't look like a tooth I usually can't fix it.. laugh.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 05:00 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
No worries Monte, you can bug me all you want.

I use Reaper also because it is cheap but Logic and Sonar should be the same.

You just need to get use to how a DAW works (and recording with one) and they are all pretty much the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 11 2009, 05:17 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 10 2009, 11:46 PM) *
Not hating on the Farm bro! I just don't find it as reliable as Gearbox even though the duel amp feature is cool.

I only have 1gig of ram in my system and everything works fine even when I am recording video at the same time.

Of course more ram (memory) is always better.

And your not yet wink.gif laugh.gif smile.gif

Hey Mr Mentor, that was below the belt and now I'm taking it personal.. mad.gif laugh.gif smile.gif Next upload for you coming soon... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Apr 10 2009, 11:51 PM) *
Thanks dudes.....I'll try all that and be back to bug you if it doesn't work.

Skenny.....I've never tried to use reaper. I am gonna go with either Logic or Sonar. I am really itching to start recording my own stuff so this recording stuff is something I really gotta start focusing on. Unfortunately.....if it don't look like a tooth I usually can't fix it.. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Like Jeff said, there all pretty much the same so if I can help in any way, I'll surely be glad to. smile.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 05:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Looking forward to it Steve smile.gif tongue.gif

You'll have a great REC upload with this lesson we are working on. Just trust yourself.

You drew first blood also biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 11 2009, 05:27 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 11 2009, 12:21 AM) *
You drew first blood also biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Who, me.. unsure.gif laugh.gif

Thanks to both of of you guys my time spent holding a guitar is great at the moment! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 11 2009, 05:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
That's great to hear man, now lets help Monte. He needs use smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Apr 11 2009, 10:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I am using the UX2 together with POD farm and I must say that I love it.

I have no noticable latency at all the way I am doing it:

1) Play through POD farm stand-alone application on the PC -> output being either the full tone or the dry tone

2) Record that tone in the DAW (am using Sonar myself), without having the POD farm plug-in running. I don't have monitoring on in the DAW, as this will definitely result in some latency

3) If I recorded the dry tone, I apply the POD farm plug-in later for full flexibility.

It might be that because my PC has 4Gb of RAM and is fairly recent that I don't have any problems though wink.gif .

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 11 2009, 10:33 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I wonder if the latency issue is to do with CoreAudio on the Mac (I'm assuming you're using Core rahter than ASIO in Garageband)? As I recall there were some initial issues with Pods and CoreAudio which I think Line6 resolved with a driver update. So it might be worth checking to see if all the drivers are up to date...

BTW - not sure if Cukoos have resolved this but there was an issue with PodFarm and Reaper where you had to use a VSTi wrapper to get PodFarm to run in Reaper on a Mac.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Apr 11 2009, 10:57 AM
Flamenco Instructor
I also have Toneport ux 2 and for me works very very fine. You can tweak the latency in Preferences- driver settings. Adjust the latency to extra- small, and the buffer size to 256 (even 128, but in 128 you can have some clicks- with 256 of bufer size I never have clicks in recording. (The deffault option of buffer size is 2048) In this way you will have about 5- 8 ms of latency, which is a good latency for recording. I also recommend Pod farm plugin (if you don´t have yet), because is better to record dry signal and add the effects later.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 11 2009, 11:08 AM
Instructor
Could be ram, setting buffer size/latency or just drivers,
as Tony said.
Give us more info Monte!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 11 2009, 11:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I updated the drivers for Pod Farm and downloaded Gearbox as well. I'll try it again in awhile and update you guys.

Thanks for all the help....MUCH APPRECIATED!!! smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 11 2009, 11:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Apr 11 2009, 12:16 PM) *
I updated the drivers for Pod Farm and downloaded Gearbox as well. I'll try it again in awhile and update you guys.

Thanks for all the help....MUCH APPRECIATED!!! smile.gif smile.gif

Ok. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:35 AM