Strumming Advice
buttmonk
Mar 10 2009, 09:13 PM
GMC:er
Yo guys,

Ever since I started playing few years ago I have not really got the hang (or even started to get the hang for that matter) of proper strumming i.e. getting a nice smooth and even action and sound. That has not been much of an issue since it is not required for the kinda music I play which is more of a heavy metally type stuff.

Anyhooo, today I started to learn Holiday by Green Day and that doesn't go too well if u can't strum tongue.gif I use dunlop Jazz III picks, .88 and 1mm, but have also tried with normal dunlops of various thickness but they were worse if anthing. I am trying to use both wrist and forearm and am trying not to grip the pick too hard, but that just ends up in the pick twisting in my fingers. My main problem is digging into the strings too much. I developed a new technique with which I managed to get fairly good results: resting my arm near the elbow on the top of the guitar, using arm and wrist with quite a wide motion (starting and stopping the strum well clear of low and high Es), turning the pick sideways and angling down a bit, and strumming nearer the bridge. I turn the pick sideways so that 1 of the big blunt corners (the corners Mr Jim did not intend u to pick with) strike the strings and this seems to prevent dig-in compared to using the proper point (Jazz picks are really pointy) and I think I prefer the sound too. Strumming nearer the bridge also seems to help with dig-in cos the strings are more taught there.

Anyone got any comments on this technique? Advice on how to practice? I know I am supposed to try to strike with only the lightest of touches, and then alot of these measures I mention above would not be needed perhaps, but at the moment that light touch eludes me and I am either digging in or missing altogether... mad.gif At least the above technique seems to allow me to be fairly heavy handed and still get a reasonably flowing and rhthymic action.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 PM