3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Which Guitar?
Matt23
Jul 12 2009, 05:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jul 12 2009, 04:52 PM) *
The Parker is a really sweet beast. I have the PM20Pro. The major difference is Seymour Duncan pickups from the Parker Stingers in the PM20. I've only owned the guitar a week though, and it was setup badly so it's been finicky so far. The tone, however is amazing and the guitar is VERY light. Mine is 6.0 pounds. My Strats are all 8.2 pounds on my scale.

Both the Epiphone and Parker are Les Paul'ish, with the Epiphone being a true Les Paul shape. This makes pickup selector switch above the strings, vs, below and only a single cutaway which makes playing the high frets different. Not harder, just different. So, it depends on your comfort level.

The Parker you show in your picture is not the new PM20, by the way. The new one has a more Schecter like headstock and has volume and tone pots for each pickup. The one in the picture has coil taps push pull pots for both pickups and has an impressive versatility in the tones you can make.

The Strat has quite a variety of tones with its pickup arrangement as well. The Epiphone would be the least versatile on this issue.

The trem in the Fender is not good for dive bombing, like a Floyd. It can be sprung to go either way, but it's much more subtle for trem than the Floyd Rose type trems. If you are cranking on it, you may find that you are not using it as it was designed.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for your help. I'm pretty much set on getting either a Parker PM-20 (possibly pro), or a Parker PM-24V. You mentioned that the new Parker PM-20 has tone controls for each pickup. In all the pictures on the sites I migyt buy this guitar from there are only two controls, is that the guitar I'll get or will I get the new version? Also how badly set-up was your parker. What was wrong with it?

Also how good is your parker for playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 12 2009, 05:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is the shape of the new PM20. My Parker had a lot of relief in the neck and you could limbo under the action with it still buzzing, but in the 6-9 frets. The buzzing was coming from the 22 fret when playing middle frets. I've adjusted the truss rod quite a lot, almost 1 turn of the nut to get a flatter neck. With this, I was able to get the action where it is comfortable. I've been fiddling with it, almost constantly, but it is getting better all the time. I put Elixer strings on it which are very sweet.

I'm not sure of the color of this guitar, it's just an example of the new headstock shape and the four pots now. You can still get single coil from each pickup with a push pull pot. The Pro remains unchanged. They have also, rumored, towards a composite fretboard from the ebony in previous years, but you would have to talk to Parker about this.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 12 2009, 05:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
So even if the picture on the site is of the old one will I get the new model?

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 12 2009, 05:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
No idea, Matt. You will have to speak with your retailer regarding that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 12 2009, 05:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok, so would you say the PM-20pro is a good idea even after how bad it was set-up?

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 12 2009, 07:34 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I know there is no set price for this, but roughly how much does it cost to get your guitar professionally set up at your local music store?

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 12 2009, 08:55 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Those are 3 solid models on their own. I guess you won't go wrong with either, but I also advice the strat. Strats have something awesome about them. But it's a personal point of view. If you can try them all, that would be ideal.

As for a set-up, around 30€ is what it costs me to set-up my guitars in my local shop. But they should also set it up for free (the first time) if you purchase it in a reputable local shop. If it's online, then no luck.

This post has been edited by Fran: Jul 12 2009, 08:56 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 12 2009, 11:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My Parker being so poorly setup was bad luck. This isn't something I have come across very often. Actually, with 12 guitars and 1 defensive weapon, it's only happened to me twice. I wouldn't place your decision on the delivered setup of my guitar. I read such great things about the PM20. Everyone who owns one seems to love it's versatility. I agree with Fran though, a Stratocaster is something special. With Parker,...well, you either know Parker or you don't. Everyone knows a Strat. Let us know what you decide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 11:03 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well I think I'll try the strat, and if it just jumps out at me as awesome, I'll probably just buy it. If it doesn't then I'll risk buying the Parker online, and if that doesn't workout I'll just pay the £20 to return it, then buy the strat.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 01:43 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've now narrowed my choice down to the Parker PM-20, or the Parker PM-20pro. I did some research, and found some of the main differences.

Parker PM-20 -£340, Parker PUs, Grover tuners, Parker tune-o-matic, Polycarbonate nut
Parker PM-20pro -£595, Seymour Duncan PUs, Sperzel locking Tuners, Tonepros Tuneomatic, Graphite Nut.

A lot of people seemed to think the Seymour Duncan's weren't that good and hummed a lot, so what I was thinking is I could buy the PM-20, then spend the remaining £255, on good pickups, locking tuners, bridge, and nut.

Is this a good idea? The things I mentioned seem to be the only differences between the guitars except the fret size, fretboard shape, nut width and truss rod, and those things aren't so important. Or are they?

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jul 13 2009, 01:44 PM

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 13 2009, 02:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I don't have any hum with the Seymour Duncans. Fret size and fretboard shape and nut width would be personal playing preference. Everyone that I've read says they love the PM20. The Pro doesn't get as rave of reviews. It's more expensive and may have a different market of players buying it though. You can't imagine all the bias that might be in these online reviews. They are, essentially useless. With something as important as a guitar, you have to decide whether you are going to take a risk online, or buy something you can touch. Each of the Parker's are good guitars. So is the Strat. I can't imagine that you could ever go wrong buying a Strat, also, you can touch the Strat...that has a lot of weight.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't save money on a guitar in order to buy a bunch of parts for it though. Pickups of course, I can see changing in certain instances. Locking tuners are nice to have. Once you start replacing the bridge and the nut? I don't know...I might be looking at a different guitar...unless you find one under a bed for no money and don't mind a project guitar.

I think you're talking yourself into the Strat though, and I feel strongly that you won't be dissappointed with it.

Let us know what you do!

Cheers!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Jul 13 2009, 02:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 03:17 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well the thing is is that I probably wouldn't bother replacing the nut and bridge etc, unless there was a specific problem to solve, in reality I would probably just buy new pickups for it. I was thinking though that I could get the PM-20, and if the pickups or the tuners weren't that good I could upgrade them with the money I saved from not buying the PM-20 pro. My parents have offered to pay £400 for a new guitar so if I get the PM-20 I have £195 more than if I'd bought the PM-20pro.

And about strats, I will try one, but from what I've read they're not that versatile, and and the PM-20 is very versatile, and that as well as something that stays in tune is what I'm looking for in my new guitar.

And thanks for all your advice, its been very helpful. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 04:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I know a lot of you advise the strat, and I do plan on trying it, but out of the Parker PM-20 and the Parker PM-20pro, which do you think I should go for, considering the pro will set me back £195?

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 13 2009, 05:05 PM
GMC:er
I'd definitely choose a Strat! Pearly Gates is one of the sweetest sounding pickups I've heard. And those single coils sound great as well. It's probably the most versatile guitar of 3 of those. If you can't try a Parker, don't buy it. I remember trying Parker Fly deluxe, or sth like that. It played like a dream but the back of the body was just breaking my ribs, and that's the only reason I wouldn't buy it. It has the weirdest looking and designed back. So if you buy it, you can expect something completely unexpected (doesn't have to be back) that wil make you regret buying it.

But this Strat must be awesome! And don't worry about the tremolo. My strat (vintage tremolo) stays in tune as good as my Jackson (original floyd rose) when I don't use a tremolo, and I bend A LOT (check out my lessons). But when I use it, I really have to do some crazy stuff to make it go out of tune. Not as good as a floyd rose, but still great when setup properly. But my les paul, which has a fixed bridge goes out of tune much faster than my strat.

One more time: I'd go for a Strat! cool.gif

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 06:26 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well I really do like the Parker, but I'll try the strat and if it seems alright for metal then I might just get it.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jul 13 2009, 08:32 PM
is this a mexican or american strat?

there will be a big difference...i do not like mexican strats but americans are a different story...

the parker is great, i think the pm-20 pro even comes with piezo pick ups installed so you can get an acoustic guitar like sound.

good luck my friend! hope you find what you are looking for

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 09:27 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Mexican I think, and the pm-20 pro doesn't come with piezo.

I'm not actually sure its mexican, it doesn't say american in the name so does that mean its mexican?

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 13 2009, 09:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hmmm...Mexican changes my mind a bit from the Strat. I don't like them much after playing a few.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 13 2009, 09:31 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I don't think its american, i've never seen americans for less than £700.

http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.p...rtno=0139410380

Thats the link to its page on the fender website if that helps.

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 14 2009, 10:43 AM
Come on guys!

I have a mexican strat, and it's completely stock (though i'm planning to change the pickups, the only weak point). How come it is good enough for me? It stays in tune better than any strat I've ever played (And believe me, I abuse it!), and when unplugged, it sounds as good or even better than 90% strats I've tried. I've played some horrible sounding americans, which were impossible to keep in tune, even after setup. It's just that there's a BIGGER POSSIBILITY that you'll get a fine guitar when you buy an american, than when you buy a CHEAPER mexican. More expensive mexicans (like lonestar) are fine guitars, and there are some mexicans (classic series and classic player) series which are better than american standard! But the most common thing why people dislike mexicans is because of some forum talk and the fact that they are cheaper than americans. In a blind test, you just couldn't tell a difference between a good american and a good mexican.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 AM