Podxt Live, Recording via Midi?
draftzero
Feb 18 2009, 08:03 AM
GMC:er
I've never really recorded via midi (only USB) and i'm curious as to what cable do i need to record via midi using podxt live... i'm guessing midi to usb? or do i need a special soundcard to go midi to uhhh?

From what I understand its better to record in midi to manipulate and what not? I'm somewhat confused on the advantages of recording midi... sad.gif

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ztevie
Feb 18 2009, 02:42 PM
GMC:er
You're not using midi to record with the pod. These midi connections are there for example to swap preset or adjusting settings, from pc or something else...
You should record with either usb or line out connected to your soundcard.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 18 2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor
I don't have a POD, but am guessing the Midi output is only to communicate settings with a midi host.
You can for example upload and download Pod patches directly into your Pod or Computer.
The midi can also be used to trigger different midi events as you change your bank. Unfortunately it won't record your guitar into midi...

Look at what this guy does with his Pod controlling Ableton Live with his Pod. It's a good example of what you can do:

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2009, 11:47 PM
Instructor
MIDI signal is very different from audio, it's a standard for transferring specific format of binary code among gear that have MIDI support. These MIDI signals can serve a lot of purposes, like recording notes and controlling various devices, but they cannot transfer audio signal.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 18 2009, 11:48 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 19 2009, 02:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
USB is the way to record audio! Its what everyone said, midi is used for controlling patches etc not recording..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Feb 19 2009, 02:50 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 19 2009, 02:52 PM
Instructor
As stated earlier in the thread, MIDI cannot carry audiosignals.
Think of it more like how a ordinary pc-keyboard works; If you press a key, it communicates with the PC and you can change letters or start/close programs.
MIDI works in a very similar way, you press a button/switch and you can make other hardware or software start or stop something or record a series of "letters" if you have a midi-enabled synth/keyboard.

..i hope this explanation makes sense biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 19 2009, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:57 AM