2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Any Good Tube Screamer Alternatives?
Mudbone
Nov 9 2010, 08:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think the Ibanez TS 808 is grossly overpriced, theres no way I'm going to pay $170 for a box of capacitors and resistors. Don't get me wrong, its a great sounding pedal, but I'm confident a comparable pedal can be had for less money. The ones I have been looking at are the Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive, Digitech Bad Monkey, and the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive, all used of course tongue.gif

So does anybody have any experience with these pedals, or have any other recommendation?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emirb
Nov 9 2010, 09:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Build one! I've made a dozen t-screamers, it's actually pretty simple design. and the sounds is really nice. All of my videos that are not high gain use one of my built clones. For me it doesn't sound ANY different than ibanez one, quite the opposite less noise and more tweakable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2010, 09:20 PM
Instructor
I like this one: http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/produ...ls/v2_route_808

I use the jekyll & hyde pedal and also tried the route 66.. both are are amazing pedals.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 9 2010, 09:40 PM
QUOTE (emirb @ Nov 9 2010, 03:10 PM) *
Build one! I've made a dozen t-screamers, it's actually pretty simple design. and the sounds is really nice. All of my videos that are not high gain use one of my built clones. For me it doesn't sound ANY different than ibanez one, quite the opposite less noise and more tweakable.

So is there any particular kit you use? Or do you just have the schematics and build it from parts? This sounds very interesting smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 9 2010, 03:20 PM) *
I like this one: http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/produ...ls/v2_route_808

I use the jekyll & hyde pedal and also tried the route 66.. both are are amazing pedals.

That Route 808 looks pretty cool, gonna see if I can find it on eBay smile.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
emirb
Nov 9 2010, 09:57 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
there are a lot of available kits (generalguitarsgadgets.com and others) but I build from scratch so to speak and you live in the states it's heaven for DIY builders:) tonepad, runoffgroove, gausmarkov and many others provide schematics and other materials. I would guess that if you build by your self the material for one screamer would be like ~$35 or something. And when you build a lot then its even cheaper. Try it it's fun and very addictive. smile.gif
Of course I could help you also!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 9 2010, 10:18 PM
QUOTE (emirb @ Nov 9 2010, 03:57 PM) *
there are a lot of available kits (generalguitarsgadgets.com and others) but I build from scratch so to speak and you live in the states it's heaven for DIY builders:) tonepad, runoffgroove, gausmarkov and many others provide schematics and other materials. I would guess that if you build by your self the material for one screamer would be like ~$35 or something. And when you build a lot then its even cheaper. Try it it's fun and very addictive. smile.gif

I was actually just checking out the General Guitar Guitars Gadgets and found one for $54. It has true bypass, which is always a plus. I'm going to check out the other ones you mentioned. I'm quite sure I'm going to build my own now, just need to find the best ratio of cost effectiveness and simplicity of obtaining parts. At the moment the kit looks like the way to go. I was actually thinking I could make this a wiki entry, fully documenting the build. I will definitely give you full credit for the idea. Thank you very much for sharing this with me! smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Nov 9 2010, 10:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Try a digitech bad monkey.. wink.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 9 2010, 11:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've got the Bad Monkey and I'm very happy with it. It's enough to make a Beatles-voiced crunchy Vox sound like a Marshall JCM800. I get the impression the Wylde OD got more hair if that's what you're after.
I'd get another Bad Monkey without hesitation if you stole mine laugh.gif Or, I'd concider a Himmelstrutz Fetto Nord but it's about 5-6 times more expensive mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 9 2010, 11:13 PM
QUOTE (emirb @ Nov 9 2010, 03:57 PM) *

That guassmarkov site is amazing, thanks for sharing smile.gif

QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 9 2010, 05:00 PM) *
I've got the Bad Monkey and I'm very happy with it. It's enough to make a Beatles-voiced crunchy Vox sound like a Marshall JCM800. I get the impression the Wylde OD got more hair if that's what you're after.
I'd get another Bad Monkey without hesitation if you stole mine laugh.gif Or, I'd concider a Himmelstrutz Fetto Nord but it's about 5-6 times more expensive mellow.gif

Everybody that has one always recommends it, so I guess it just proves that sometimes you can get good things for cheap smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Nov 9 2010, 11:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 9 2010, 05:00 PM) *

i LOVE the bad monkey too, i use it because i saw phil x using it a lot, and man it got some tone on it smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 10 2010, 01:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
If you want the REAL Ibanez Tubescreamer, you have to get yourself a Maxon OD808!
Maxon is the company that built and ivnented the tubescreamer FOR Ibanez back in the day and while Ibanez owns the rights of the name, Maxon owns the original wiring plans and the know-how to build them. I have one and it's better than a current Ibanez one and also a lot less expensive!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2010, 01:43 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 9 2010, 08:36 PM) *
If you want the REAL Ibanez Tubescreamer, you have to get yourself a Maxon OD808!
Maxon is the company that built and ivnented the tubescreamer FOR Ibanez back in the day and while Ibanez owns the rights of the name, Maxon owns the original wiring plans and the know-how to build them. I have one and it's better than a current Ibanez one and also a lot less expensive!

Zakk has a great point here (as usual). These units sound just like the vintage tube screamers as they essentially are the same design. It just doesn't say "Ibanez" on it. There are tons of software emulations of this as well. The peavey emulation is quite good as is the guitar rig emulation. But these are not going to help you for your live rig. That said, here is a link to several FREE software stomp box plugins for your DAW.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/08/...cts-for-mac-pc/

Todd

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 10 2010, 01:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (emirb @ Nov 9 2010, 10:10 PM) *

wow, that's something I'd never thought of. sounds promising

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 10 2010, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 9 2010, 07:36 PM) *

I just looked up the Maxon on MusiciansFriend.com and its retailing for $150, still way more than I would ever pay for a box of resistors and capacitors. In my humble opinion, unless theres a circuit made from depleted uranium, no overdrive pedal should ever cost that much biggrin.gifsmile.gif I must admit though, the Maxon case is definitely cool looking smile.gif Its got that vintage vibe.

This is what I was looking at, its a kit that also features true bypass. I also get to have to pleasure of building it myself and get people wondering what that mysterious box on my board ph34r.gif

General Guitar Gadgets Tube Screamer Kit

Here is a forum posting I think you may find interesting.

JRC4558 Myths

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
emirb
Nov 10 2010, 09:22 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
That is so true about jrc4558 and similar op-amps. I have almost a hundred different ones and I always socket IC's in my builds so that I can swap them around. Trust me, only thing that you eventually can notice is the level of noise and gain (in loudness manner not grit!). Usual thing that I add to my builds is switchable Si/Ge clipping sometimes even FET. Symmetrical/asymmetrical or maybe some capacitor value on switch to get some more bass or something. Basically when you open a ibanez ts9/808 you see that while nice PCB, all the components are the cheapest ones possible. Most important ones are the capacitors, in the commercial pedals these are all ceramic (most noise and least reliable in the capacitance value!). BTW the difference between ts9 and ts808 is the two resistor values! This was done for adjusting the impedance between solid-state and tube amplifiers. It is said that ts9 is adjusted for solid state amps and ts808 was more adjusted for tube amps. Honestly I can't hear the difference. smile.gif

Attaching two images one stock ts808 and one that I made for a friend of mine with some mods (orange one he likes orange smile.gif )

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Nov 10 2010, 10:10 AM
I own this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnuxmBwNNgI

MXR Custom Shop GT-OD overdrive.

Great cruch tones on a clean amp or screaming leads on a dirty amp.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Fre
Nov 10 2010, 01:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (emirb @ Nov 10 2010, 09:22 AM) *
That is so true about jrc4558 and similar op-amps. I have almost a hundred different ones and I always socket IC's in my builds so that I can swap them around. Trust me, only thing that you eventually can notice is the level of noise and gain (in loudness manner not grit!). Usual thing that I add to my builds is switchable Si/Ge clipping sometimes even FET. Symmetrical/asymmetrical or maybe some capacitor value on switch to get some more bass or something. Basically when you open a ibanez ts9/808 you see that while nice PCB, all the components are the cheapest ones possible. Most important ones are the capacitors, in the commercial pedals these are all ceramic (most noise and least reliable in the capacitance value!). BTW the difference between ts9 and ts808 is the two resistor values! This was done for adjusting the impedance between solid-state and tube amplifiers. It is said that ts9 is adjusted for solid state amps and ts808 was more adjusted for tube amps. Honestly I can't hear the difference. smile.gif

Attaching two images one stock ts808 and one that I made for a friend of mine with some mods (orange one he likes orange smile.gif )

Attached Image

Attached Image

Wow! Can I buy a pedal made by you? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 10 2010, 02:50 PM
Instructor
808 is not a mistery to make, there are tons of pedal kits available on the web, and you can buy one and have it made relatively cheap. If you don't care about the branded pedal, this may be a good way to own a custom made one. One that can do the job for you. I think custom made pedals are way better than branded reissue ones.

Other alternative for you is to buy used TS9. This pedal is close enough to 808. I can guarantee that almost nobody will notice the difference anyway wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
emirb
Nov 10 2010, 02:59 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Fre @ Nov 10 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Wow! Can I buy a pedal made by you? biggrin.gif

smile.gif I don't have time to make/sell pedals even if that would be nice thing to do, it just takes too much time (for the enclosures mostly). I do it sometimes for friends and friends friends because then I don't need to stress with the load. But I'll gladly help you get started if you have the time/energy to learn it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shime
Nov 10 2010, 03:07 PM
My tube screamer kit from General Guitar Gadgets arrived a while ago, but I didn't find the time to assemble it yet. I'll have to learn it from scratch, but I figured it would be fun to do it myself. It also has some interesting mod options. Most of all: it's cheap!

I'll be watching this thread for DIY follow-up! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:39 PM