Information Overload
JTaylor
Dec 11 2011, 12:41 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Hey everybody!
To start off with, thanks to all the instructors (Ben, Cosmin, Sinisa, Gabriel, Ivan,..hope I didn't leave anybody out!) and also to the other members for their responses to my previous posts! Most helpful and most appreciated!
I have been going over all the lessons this week starting with the Absolute Beginner series by Andrew Cockburn. I am now on Beginners Corner 9 by Bear Rose and (if I remember correctly) I think Ivan's Pentatonic workshops are next on the list. I have printed over 95% of all the lessons (and if this material is copyright and I am breaking the law, someone PLEASE let me know!) for quick reference, no matter where I am.
I am a little overwhelmed at the prospect of memorizing everything, so I will ask if it is absolutely necessary.
1. Example: A "D" chord is made up of D, F#, and A. Do I need to remember the notes that are in each chord? Are there only certain chords that I should know all the notes to or do I need to know the notes to them all. So far, Bear Rose has gone over about 20 chords and, while I can find them on the neck and play them, I can't remember the notes (except the root) of any of them.
2. Andrew went over the five positions of the A Minor Pentatonic Scale. Do I need to go back and memorize all the positions now, or does anyone know if that is covered again in a future lesson (I have a feeling that Ivan may address this in his lessons but am not that far along yet.)
3. Do I need to memorize every note from the 1 - 12 frets? I actually used color codes on one of my guitars and it helps a lot but I do not want to be dependent on it (looks like something in a toy store at this point huh.gif)!
I have more questions but I will stop for now. Again, thanks to all for their insightful advice! Jon Taylor

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:05 PM