2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Favorite Type Of Guitar?
stratman33
Apr 26 2007, 02:58 AM
GMC:er
whats your favorite type of guitar?mine is my epiphone les paul custom.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 26 2007, 09:46 AM
Instructor
All of the RG types of bodies - no matter what manufacturer - Dean, Ibanez, Jackson - but i am more of a sharp edge fan like Ibanez RG and JEM's bodies.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
spdalton
Apr 26 2007, 09:52 AM
Jackson Rhoads V! In ivory colour with gold pinstripes. My dream guitar.
But the Epi LP plus top I have is very nice as well.

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 26 2007, 12:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
When i first joined here I was a Les Paul only guy. Now i like Ibanez superstrat shaped guitars, and Les Pauls biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
yell03
Apr 26 2007, 01:13 PM
I have 6 electric guitars and I like all of them, but if I had to pick one guitar I would want these features:

Double cutaway (ESP Viper, Ibanez RG, Dean Vendetta, for example)

24 frets (all 3 of the above)

Humbucker style pick-ups (all 3 of the above), but the Ibanez allows for coil tapping thru a 5 position selector so you can get single coil Strat style sounds.

Also, you need to decide if a tremolo is important to you.
If I were picking just ONE guitar I would go fixed bridge such as the 3 guitars above, if I were to do a tremolo I would want a simple strat type system for ease of tuning.

Just my opinions, hope this helps.

I am actually looking to buy another guitar that incorporates all these features plus HOT pick-ups, coil tapping, and a tremolo bar, but I don't want to mention the Brand or Model until it happens. tongue.gif

If it happens, it will definitely be my FIRST CHOICE if I could have only one guitar that does it all.

Also, scale length of 25.5 or 24.75 is another consideration.
Ibanez and Fender use 25.5 which provides a brighter sound compared to Gibson and my ESPs that use 24.75 for a deeper sound which might be important to you.

As for wood types, I like Mahogany for its full sound, but I don't demand it.
The NEW guitar I am looking at is not Mahogany, it is a lighter wood, basswood I believe.

Lastly, looks are not the most important thing to me, I believe FORM follows FUNCTION (my Faded Black Les Paul for example), you will often pay more for quilted, flamed, and/or maple tops and you have to decide if that is important to you.

The NEW guitar I am looking at only comes with the fancier style tops, but I might be able to skip a maple top and still go with a fancy sunburst type of color to save a few $$$.

A bit more than you asked for, but there is my answer.

For now, I would say my Ibanez Prestige RGA121 is at the top of my list.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 26 2007, 10:55 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
RG

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 27 2007, 01:56 AM
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif There is something about this site....after a couple months of regular attendance, even die-hard Les Paul players end up loving Ibanez shred machines!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I love 'em too. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 27 2007, 01:56 AM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 27 2007, 08:34 AM
Instructor
Is that my fault?? tongue.gif unsure.gif huh.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Apr 27 2007, 08:34 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 27 2007, 08:45 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 27 2007, 02:34 AM) *

haha im a BIG ibanez fan also...im gettin a new 1 also in the next month or so...its an rgr 521 ex2..2 bad i couldnt afford the JEM..sad.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 27 2007, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Btw guys - talking about guitars: i have a huge doubt and any info is more than welcome.

So here it is:
I am planning to buy a 7-string guitar! The doubt is between Ibanez UV777 (Steve Vai signature) and Dean RC-7 (Rusty Cooley Signature).

I played UV777 and it's AWESOME! I have never played a Dean guitar but i am a huge fan of Rusty and i love all those "shred" elements they incorporated in that guitar - HUGE cutaways, thin neck, etc. The problem is RC-7 cost double the UV777 price.

Should i collect money and get RC-7 or buy UV777?? RC-7 is $3200 and UV777 is around 1700$. Any opinions?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 27 2007, 02:05 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 27 2007, 03:34 AM) *

Heh, well you've got me lusting after a Jem just like yours smile.gif

QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 27 2007, 03:51 AM) *
Should i collect money and get RC-7 or buy UV777?? RC-7 is $3200 and UV777 is around 1700$. Any opinions?

I have no experience with either, but I would say this - both are artist models, so both are designed to be played by extreme players with different styles. Given this, they are probably quite specialized in the way they play, so do you play more like Steve Vai, or Rusty Cooley? Ignore me if I am making no sense ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 27 2007, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Well i am pursuing more of Rusty Cooley style. I guess than i should wait for money for Dean.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff
Apr 27 2007, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 27 2007, 02:18 PM) *
Well i am pursuing more of Rusty Cooley style. I guess than i should wait for money for Dean.

I've never played either guitar, but that sure is a huge difference in money. Maybe too much to justify it? (IMO). Especially if you already think the Ibanez is awesome! smile.gif

My guess is that you would be completely happy with the Ibanez and the extra $$ in your pocket to use for other things - like putting it in the bank or taking a trip somewhere! biggrin.gif

Which ever you decide though, don't give another thought to the other one - and make a cool video for us when you get it! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 27 2007, 08:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Apr 27 2007, 06:19 PM) *
I've never played either guitar, but that sure is a huge difference in money. Maybe too much to justify it? (IMO). Especially if you already think the Ibanez is awesome! smile.gif

My guess is that you would be completely happy with the Ibanez and the extra $$ in your pocket to use for other things - like putting it in the bank or taking a trip somewhere! biggrin.gif

Which ever you decide though, don't give another thought to the other one - and make a cool video for us when you get it! wink.gif

I guess you are right about that. That's a huge difference in money and i definitely need a new amp also! Thanks for your opinion! Very appreciated! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 27 2007, 11:51 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 27 2007, 01:56 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif There is something about this site....after a couple months of regular attendance, even die-hard Les Paul players end up loving Ibanez shred machines!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I love 'em too. biggrin.gif

Yeah that happened to me! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
yell03
Apr 28 2007, 02:39 PM
OK, I finally bought the guitar that has all the features I could want:

Elegant looks and set-neck/double-bucker bigness with a trem!

One of the sweetest-looking Fender designs ever is bumped up a notch with a carved brilliantly figured flame maple top. Superb resonance from a 24-fret maple neck set into the deep-cut basswood body translates into serious sustain from the American-made Seymour Duncan SH-1nRP '59 Reverse Polarity humbucker at the neck and SHPGP-1b Pearly Gates Plus humbucker at the bridge.

Fender Showmaster FMT HH Electric Guitar Features:

Carved flamed maple top
Basswood body
Set maple neck
Rosewood fretboard
Seymour Duncan SH-1nRP '59 Reverse Polarity humbucker at the neck
Seymour Duncan SHPGP-1b Pearly Gates Plus humbucker at the bridge
Locking tuners
Smoked chrome 2-point synchronized trem
24 jumbo frets
5-way pickup switching
Master volume and tone controls
25-1/2" scale

Here are a couple of links, scroll down on the pages to read reviews if you would like.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...itar?sku=511943

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...itar?sku=511943

I ended up getting a NEW one for $400 with a gigbag for $400 on ebay.

Some of the older ones have Flamed Ash tops and only 3 position switches, they can be modified to 5 position, but I wanted the Flamed Maple Top in Cherry Sunburst.

Here is a link to the older one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/produc...p=10&page=2

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 28 2007, 09:22 PM
Hey a while back i was looken at sum ibanez, im a jackson player and wont stop giggen em for anything but i picked up this 1 ibanez and loved it, its thin as anything but im not sure what model it was, about $900 canadian, 22 frets, great actions, anyone got anyideas of what guitar this was? it felt almost as good as that steve vai sig pavel's got going smile.gif i love that guitar too

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 28 2007, 10:03 PM
Instructor
22 frets, ha? Must be some kind of S serie! S serie is the only model with 22 frets. They have rounded shape body, not sharp edges like RG and JEMs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 28 2007, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 28 2007, 05:03 PM) *
22 frets, ha? Must be some kind of S serie! S serie is the only model with 22 frets. They have rounded shape body, not sharp edges like RG and JEMs.

it definatly had sum sharp edges.. i really don't kno what it was lol smile.gif all i kno was i was ready to buy it right then and there had it had 24 frets but what can you do lol.. now that the opportunity has passed sad.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
betschart
Apr 29 2007, 11:04 PM
I love the LP...but I just wish it would have better access to the upper frets mad.gif . Once I get around to buying a new guitar it will either be a good quality stratocaster or a good Ibanez (at the moment).

--------------------
Epi LP Custom (Bare Knuckle Black Dogs)
Cheap Strat Copy
Taylor Baby Acoustic
Some pedals & a Pod XT Live
Fender Hot Rod DeVille

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:53 AM