2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Are Dropped Tunings Necessary For Heavy Riffs ?, Can standard tuning also sound heavy ??
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 10 2012, 12:38 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 10 2012, 05:43 AM) *
Yes, good point about attack. I have a heavy pick attack when playing riffs and I've had people pick up my gear and they sound nowhere near as heavy as me.. it's also related to exactly how you hold the pick, where your hand is etc..

Another good point from Jams about down tuning for the singer's best range smile.gif

So very true. Metallica actually plays lower than what they wrote some songs, because it fits his voice being lower now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SpaseMoonkey: Nov 10 2012, 12:40 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 10 2012, 01:22 PM
Instructor
Well smile.gif for me, it's a whole new sonic range and heaviness comes - as Ben pointed out in his post above - from a congregation of elements not just from downtuning. If you are downtuned and you don't write music in such a way so that it sounds heavy, it will not, even if you are in drop Z laugh.gif As Mert likes to say biggrin.gif

I love playing downtuned nonetheless - even if its dropped or not smile.gif Exploring and variating will bring out endless possibilities, but then again, limiting yourself to some specific elements can always bring out the creativity lying in there.

I guess its all up to each and every one smile.gif

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 10 2012, 02:58 PM
Learning Roadie
I find myself downtuning to try to sound heavy. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 10 2012, 06:45 PM
Experienced Rock Star
For me, tuning down isn't about getting a lower sound, it's about getting a different sound. On a downtuned guitar I can use heavier gauge strings, which have a very different timbre than normal gauge strings. That distinct timbre gives the guitar a very different sound that is more than simply a lower pitch. fyi, I've been using Ernie Ball Cobalt strings on my drop C guitar and they sound great.

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Nov 10 2012, 11:22 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Nov 9 2012, 11:53 AM) *
Lots of heavier bands back in the day didn't tune unnecessarily low.

I believe Cannibal Corpse was Eb. Lamb of God tends to play in Drop D, as does Vital Remains.

I have noticed a lot of bands are playing in B lately. But in the long run that is standard tuning on a 7 string.

Black Sabbath tuned down to C

one thing that I know that makes heavy parts sound heavier is to juxtapose them with mellow parts. case-in-point: early Metallica, who usually were tuned to either standard are Eb, used delicate clean parts inter-mixed with the distorted parts. much like Opeth. its effective.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 11 2012, 11:55 AM
Instructor
Well, hybrid tunings can always be interesting as well - how about this one? B F# B G B E which is basically a hybrid tuning of Dropped-B (low strings) and Standard E (high strings) used by the Australian band Karnivool on their debut album called Themata.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:06 PM