2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Where I'm at - where shall I go next?
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 14 2007, 02:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 14 2007, 03:59 AM) *
I join the quire - feely stuff! smile.gif

Thanks so much guys!

I'll post something new soon - the regular practice is paying off and I think I am already improving :-)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Feb 14 2007, 02:38 PM
GMC:er
The beginning was AWESOME, where did you get that sound in the beginning? was that a trumpet? also the solo sounded good and fits the backing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 14 2007, 02:43 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Feb 14 2007, 08:38 AM) *
The beginning was AWESOME, where did you get that sound in the beginning? was that a trumpet? also the solo sounded good and fits the backing.

It was a saxophone - I record using Cubase, and the Sax sound came from Linplug's SaxLab - glad you liked it!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 14 2007, 05:03 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 14 2007, 01:43 PM) *
It was a saxophone - I record using Cubase, and the Sax sound came from Linplug's SaxLab - glad you liked it!

You mean that sax was "software"??? my ghast considers itself flabbered!!

I want Cubase....tell me more about this SaxLab - are the drums and backing you have all generated by that program?... I want some of it if it does.

Got to say, you got a great jazzy sax sounding guitar tone going on there too with that one - incredible.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 14 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey Fret, take a moment to de-flabber your ghast, and I'll tell you what I know (although this in itself is a vast subject).

The good news is that with the PodXTL you are totally setup for recording - the bad news is that Cubase and all the stuff that goes with it is not cheap ...

Firstly, yes, Cubase is an awesome program. There are a few such similar programs that all do roughly the same but vary in price and abilities. Cubase is pretty much top of the heap apart from ProTools that requires a more significant hardware investment.

Cubase is your recording studio - it records sound, and sequences MIDI. To do this properly you need a high-end sound card (most standard PC ones just won't do for quality and latency reasons). However, it just so happens that the PodXTL acts as a high-end sound card when you hook it up to your PC via USB. In our case, since we both have Variaxes (Variax's? Variaxen?) we can feed our guitar output in digital to the Pod, then digital straight to the PC, which is a huge win for quality. You can also use the pod for basic microphone recording but it doesn't do so well for this for various reasons, relating to the connection type etc.

Once you have Cubase and can record yourself playing guitar, you need to add some backing. You could go out and get a band, you could also pay for session musicians (here is a great service I have used before), or .... tada ... you can use Cubase's VSTi capability.

A VSTi is a completely software instrument that runs under Cubase. It hooks itself into the mixer and generally acts just as if it were a real recorded instrument, except that you can use MIDI to sequence the notes you want. There are a vast number of these from synths, through samplers to modeled instruments. In the track I posted, SaxLab (here) is a VSTi, and I programmed the notes in by hand with a mouse. The drums are by a program called Toontracks EZ Drummer (here). One of the advantages of this particular program is that it also comes with a library of drum patterns so you can put a drum track together easily and quickly. Also, I used a program called Broomstick Bass (here) - this gives you a lot of bass sounds and will also jam along with you - I left it in automatic mode for this track and just told it the chords. I shouldn't need to use this one as much after my birthday when I will be getting a Variax 705 bass smile.gif

The downside of this is that once you have bought Cubase (by no means cheap) you find yourself adding a lot of other individual items that all seem to cost around $200 - $300.

Finally, in addition to the VSTis, you can also have VSTs - these are effect units like reverb, delay, compression that also bolt into your software environment. You can even get guitar effects processors, and Line6 have just released a software equivalent of the pod.

Cubase itself comes with a few basic synths and a drum machine and some effects, so you are not totaly starting with nothing, but you will probably soon outgrow what it has. With the right collection of plugins and instruments you can build tracks that are as good as anything released by a record company (but you have to have the skill in playing, recording, mixing, mastering, nothing is free!)

This is a fascinating subject and I could go on for hours, but I'll stop there - I hope this answers your questions, and I hope I didn't bore you! I'll email you the pod patch I used for the track as well.

A.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 14 2007, 06:37 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 14 2007, 07:01 PM
I thought there were some good recording programs around but I did not realise just HOW good they are. You make it sound pretty awesome (and expensive).
I guess you need to spend a lot of time learning to make it all work, it sounds horribly complicated but I might just have a crack at it.

I will see what I can come up with software wise and have a play around.

I can see I am going to be emailing you a lot soon as I get some time. I think I am going to be short of time somewhat for a while - have just sold my house today and will be moving to a new on soon and thats taking up all my time for now - hopefull though, at the end of it, I will have an awesome music room !!!

thanks for the patches.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 14 2007, 07:05 PM
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Feb 14 2007, 01:01 PM) *
I thought there were some good recording programs around but I did not realise just HOW good they are. You make it sound pretty awesome (and expensive).
I guess you need to spend a lot of time learning to make it all work, it sounds horribly complicated but I might just have a crack at it.

I will see what I can come up with software wise and have a play around.

I can see I am going to be emailing you a lot soon as I get some time. I think I am going to be short of time somewhat for a while - have just sold my house today and will be moving to a new on soon and thats taking up all my time for now - hopefull though, at the end of it, I will have an awesome music room !!!

thanks for the patches.

Sure, feel free to mail me anytime with any questions you have smile.gif Good luck with the move - I have just been through selling my house in the UK and it was extremely painful ohmy.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 15 2007, 07:56 PM
That was really nice man good job. "Why" is right though, you need to incorporate some faster runs, that solo was ready to lift off but never quite made it.

Where did you get the backing track?

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Feb 15 2007, 07:56 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2007, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 15 2007, 01:56 PM) *
That was really nice man good job. "Why" is right though, you need to incorporate some faster runs, that solo was ready to lift off but never quite made it.

Where did you get the backing track?

Hi Zee - Yes, I totally agree with you and Why, it needs some help and a bit of lift to make it less mundane, and some variation is speed is a great suggestion. I'll post an improved version in a few months when the practicing has paid off, thanks for your feedback!

I made the backing track myself - Cubase and various software instruments. I posted all the info a couple of posts up fro Fretdancer :-)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 15 2007, 08:25 PM
Ah so you did!

I started learning Cubase the other day, it's a pain to figure out! So many different errors that can occur and I've no idea how to fix most of them. My soundcard is struggling too despite being a dedicated external one by M-Audio. I think Guitar Rig 2 eats it's memory. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Feb 15 2007, 08:25 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2007, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 15 2007, 02:25 PM) *
Ah so you did!

I started learning Cubase the other day, it's a pain to figure out! So many different errors that can occur and I've no idea how to fix most of them. My soundcard is struggling too despite being a dedicated external one by M-Audio. I think Guitar Rig 2 eats it's memory. tongue.gif

Yeah, to do anything serious you probably need 1Gb, 2Gb is better ... I've been through some of this pain, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try and help.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 15 2007, 10:24 PM
I've got 2gb memory with an external m-audio soundcard but still when I have 2 tracks running with Guitar Rig on it craps out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2007, 10:30 PM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 15 2007, 04:24 PM) *
I've got 2gb memory with an external m-audio soundcard but still when I have 2 tracks running with Guitar Rig on it craps out.

How does it crap out? If it starts sounding scratchy with pops and clicks, you might need to increase your latency ... I have managed more than 2 guitar rigs in the past.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 15 2007, 10:31 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 15 2007, 11:03 PM
Well if one track is playing the rhythm for a few bars as soon as the lead clicks in I get loads of error messages saying not enough processing power or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2007, 11:32 PM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 15 2007, 05:03 PM) *
Well if one track is playing the rhythm for a few bars as soon as the lead clicks in I get loads of error messages saying not enough processing power or something.

Hmm, sounds a little wierd. What version of Cubase, and what CPU do you have? Also, what is the exact text of the error message?

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 16 2007, 12:03 AM
Think its a 2.4 centrino duo or something and Cubase SX3. My friend is a sound engineer though I'll get him to come take a look at it, will be too hard to do over the net, thanks though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 12:10 AM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 15 2007, 06:03 PM) *
Think its a 2.4 centrino duo or something and Cubase SX3. My friend is a sound engineer though I'll get him to come take a look at it, will be too hard to do over the net, thanks though.

Well, sounds like you have all of the right hardware anyway - hope your friend can sort it out, good luck!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:58 PM